Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2013, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Falling towards a Sigma DP3 Merrill

Wow.

Love the quote where he says Darwin would have loved Sigma!

From Luminous Landscapes:

Sigma DP3 Review

03-25-2013, 03:59 AM   #2

I have never personally used any of the DP series Sigma cameras other than inside of a shop for a minute or two, but I hear they can take superb photographs if you are willing to take your time with one and learn to live with their quirks (flaws?). I think Sigma is an extraordinarily interesting company and I enjoy their approach to cameras such as this. I have sometimes thought of getting a DP2, but never pull the trigger. If you get one, I would be very curious to see some images and hear what you think of it. The samples you have posted seem to reinforce the point that these are no mere point and shoot. Very impressive photographs. The photography world is changing and it is exciting. Thanks for posting this!
03-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
panoguy recently aquired a DP2 and is doing some comparison work here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/219048-fuel-fire-comparing-k-5-dp2-merrill.html
03-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ugh...all I see is a lot of photoshop work that has to be done. Beauty/makeup shots take forever to do post on :-P

03-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't suppose my thread on the search for something smaller than a DSLR had anything to do with this. I thought you liked the Sony RX-100?

I'd wait for the price to go down to $800 (like it already has on the DP1 and DP2), and then jump on it. I hope you realize that the 50mm lens on the DP3 makes it thicker than the K-5, though. That pushed it a little outside my desired size bracket.

I already pulled the trigger on the DP2, and Luminous Landscapes was a big influence on my decision. It'll be here tomorrow. I can't wait.
03-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will be interesting to hear your thoughts. I've never had a chance to use a Sigma, or talk to someone who has.
03-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
bvg
Veteran Member

I just have got SD1 Merrill. Is't it time to open Foveon club?

03-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
I just have got SD1 Merrill
How do you like it? I like the simplicity of it and the ability to take IR shots. It seems to be a very interesting camera, but it is hard to find any good information on it. I have been wanting to play with it at one of the local camera stores, but it seems like there is always someone already checking it out. I am interested to hear what you think of it in comparison to the K5!
03-28-2013, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Dude, this thing is awesome! I've only had a chance to take pictures of my (camera-shy) dog, but I'm blown away.

Sigma DP2 Merrill, ISO 200, f/2.8 (wide open):

100% crop of same picture:

If there ever comes a time when Sigma's proprietary RAW files can be loaded straight into lightroom, I'll be totally happy. As it is, the Sigma Photo Pro program you have to use is a huge PITA. It crashes constantly, and it's not very useful, but you can't use the camera without it. The JPEGs out of this camera are awful.

QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
Is't it time to open Foveon club?
Great idea! I'll have some better pictures this weekend. Maybe you have some? I'm sure there are a few others who have pictures to share already. Maybe a few others even bought the SD1 like you, now that it costs less than a used car.
03-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
bvg
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
it costs less than a used car
Yes, it was the most dramatic price drop in the history of photography. But I do not have lenses for Sigma mount yet , one is on its way (as m42 adapter is). And that is problematic too btw.
04-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
bvg
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CB Knipp Quote
How do you like it? I like the simplicity of it and the ability to take IR shots. It seems to be a very interesting camera, but it is hard to find any good information on it. I have been wanting to play with it at one of the local camera stores, but it seems like there is always someone already checking it out. I am interested to hear what you think of it in comparison to the K5!
I still do not have any lenses for it. I can say only that its handling is pretty good, reminds me K-5, it can be used by one hand. It is bulky like 7D but has weight like K-5.
Lets go to the new thread "Foveon club" !

Last edited by bvg; 04-03-2013 at 09:22 AM.