Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2020, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #886
Veteran Member

My redone Sigma group

SD15, SD Q, SD-3M and SD1M.

Just a quick test with the latest addition (18-35mm 1.8 A)

Last edited by fiveseven; 06-09-2020 at 07:31 PM.
06-16-2020, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #887
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Sigma's been making (small) waves with their introduction of a line of compacts and DSLRs with the unique Foveon sensor, which lack both the ubiquitous Bayer filter and any sort of antialiasing filter.

The 46MP figure Sigma touts on the latest sensors is a little misleading; the pictures it produces are 16MP, but each pixel in the picture has it's own red, green, and blue pixel on the sensor. This is what makes the Foveon different.

The list includes:
  • DP1: 18mm fixed-lens compact with 14MP sensor
  • DP2: 30mm fixed-lens compact with 14MP sensor
  • DP1 Merrill: 18mm fixed-lens compact with 46MP sensor
  • DP2 Merrill: 30mm fixed-lens compact with 46MP sensor
  • DP3 Merrill: 50mm macro fixed-lens compact with 46MP sensor

edit: Sigma's entire line of DSLRs, which began in 2002, feature Foveon sensors. The most recent ones are:
  • SD14: DSLR with 1st-gen 14MP sensor, using Sigma's own SA lens mount.
  • SD15: Same as SD14, but with updated image processing engine
  • SD1: DSLR with 46MP sensor, using Sigma's own SA lens mount.
  • SD1 Merrill: Re-launch of SD1 with reduced price. Identical to SD1.

Along with the filters, Sigma has also left out decent batteries, HD video, low-light capabilities, stabilization of any kind, decent JPEGS, and RAW files which can be processed by something besides Sigma's PITA software, but all we care about is the pictures, right? Right! So let's post them!

Mine is a DP2 Merrill, with the 30mm lens and the second-generation Foveon sensor.

Because it's an APS-C sensor, shallow DOF is no problem:

Careful, it's kinda sharp!

The 30mm lens doesn't distort the picture; that fence post on the left really is bent.

To really show you what this sensor can do, here's a 100% crop of that last picture, which was already somewhat cropped. No, I did not sharpen it.

So, I'm hoping a few others have bought one of these awesome cameras, and have a few pictures to share. Anyone?
I'm not sure if it's my monitor, but a lot of the pictures taken with this camera look grainy, almost film like.
06-17-2020, 03:20 AM - 4 Likes   #888
Veteran Member

That is what Foveon does. Based on my (short) experience with Sigma Quattro SD. Images have super high acutance and very slight luminance noise is present at base ISO100.

But...the usability of the Quattro SD is a total wreck. Also, I have not found out how to disable long exposure noise reduction which kicks in at one second or so. Very annoying.

Last edited by MJKoski; 06-17-2020 at 03:26 AM.
06-17-2020, 02:21 PM - 3 Likes   #889
Veteran Member

Any criticizing feedback or comments are more then welcomed or even preferred (that is how we get better).

Last edited by fiveseven; 06-17-2020 at 07:34 PM.
09-10-2020, 07:53 PM - 4 Likes   #890
Veteran Member

Updated Sigma club (nearly half of my camera's collection).

SD Q

SD15

DP3M

Last edited by fiveseven; 10-14-2020 at 05:50 PM.
10-18-2020, 07:24 PM - 3 Likes   #891
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm now a member of this ridiculousness - a DP2 Quattro came by at a price I could not resist. Great shooting camera, very much like a medium format camera experience of old.

Saturated
by Aaron, on Flickr

Looking over the river
by Aaron, on Flickr
10-19-2020, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #892
Veteran Member

That forest stream would pop nicely with a polarizer filter.

06-16-2021, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #893
Veteran Member

I've finally got my own DP1 after jealously looking in awe at the images my partners DP1s took. I truly find the images this sensor makes fascinating! Not the most exciting images, but still pop like nothing else and simple to edit.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo 
06-16-2021, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #894
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CedrusMacro Quote
I've finally got my own DP1 after jealously looking in awe at the images my partners DP1s took. I truly find the images this sensor makes fascinating! Not the most exciting images, but still pop like nothing else and simple to edit.
Congrats, I may be getting a foveon soon as well. Glad you're liking it.
06-17-2021, 03:10 PM   #895
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Congrats, I may be getting a foveon soon as well. Glad you're liking it.
That's cool, I think whichever of them that fits your budget you'll be impressed at the images. I'd like to try a Merrill or quattro.
06-18-2021, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #896
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's cool, I think whichever of them that fits your budget you'll be impressed at the images. I'd like to try a Merrill or quattro.
DP0 Quattro or an SD Quattro H is what I'm looking at now. I think the lens-sensor matched super-wide DP0 makes a lot of sense; it's hard to get an optically excellent super-wide lens for DSLR flange distances. And, given that subjects will be mostly landscapes, losing the OVF isn't that big of a deal.
06-21-2021, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #897
Veteran Member

DP0 Quattro or an SD Quattro H is what I'm looking at now. I think the lens-sensor matched super-wide DP0 makes a lot of sense; it's hard to get an optically excellent super-wide lens for DSLR flange distances. And, given that subjects will be mostly landscapes, losing the OVF isn't that big of a deal.
Colour me a shade of green! I'd love to try the DP0, if you do, please post some images.

In the mean time, just to persuade you here's some recent DP1 shots These awesome sensors need their images to be seen.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo         
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo 
06-24-2021, 08:14 PM   #898
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Colour me a shade of green! I'd love to try the DP0, if you do, please post some images.

In the mean time, just to persuade you here's some recent DP1 shots These awesome sensors need their images to be seen.
Gorgeous colors! Love the second car shot.

I sure hope Sigma keeps up the foveon line. The APS-H sensor was the right direction, I'm surprised it was discontinued.
06-25-2021, 12:48 AM   #899
Veteran Member

Gorgeous colors! Love the second car shot.

I sure hope Sigma keeps up the foveon line. The APS-H sensor was the right direction, I'm surprised it was discontinued.
Thanks, that car shot has fast become my favorite shot I've taken since getting into photography .

Same, I can't imagine they will abandon the tech just yet considering they invested so heavily into it, if they could just solve the data writing speeds the vast majority of negative views would fall away (that and making sure items like screens are up to date).

A modern take akin to the Ricoh GRiii would probably sell if it was priced about the same using a foveon sensor.
07-19-2021, 01:14 PM - 2 Likes   #900
Veteran Member

Time to keep this thread alive! Sigma DP1.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP1  Photo