Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hasselblad 500 focusing screen

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am shopping for an upgrade to my stock focusing screen on my Hasselblad 500cm. I am looking for a bright screen, hopefully with a split image focusing. I am a bit confused by what is out there on KEH and Ebay....what will represent an upgrade worth the extra cash and what is legit. Here are two I am looking at:

Hasselblad BRIGHTSCREEN PROSCREEN 20/20 SPLIT/MICROPRISM SCREEN - KEH.com

Hasselblad Acute Matte D Split Image Grid Focusing Screen | eBay

Both offer a 14 day return policy.....

It was suggested on here that I look for an Acute Matte-D screen....anyone have success with other models/brands or input on the Proscreen?. Other than KEH/Ebay anyone know where I can purchase online? I have checked local camera stores....but no luck as of yet.

Thanks!

04-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Yikes! That e-bay one is expensive. I got mine for about 1/2 that price. I must have got lucky.

So when are we going to be seeing some of those images from that camera?
04-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I'll also note that it is common for those film backs to need maintenance. Frame spacing problems seem to eventually appear as well as seal light leaks. The seals are easy to replace yourself. Having two backs is both great for shooting and sending one off to be adjusted.
04-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From a flickr discussion, user LukeH

04-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Yikes! That e-bay one is expensive. I got mine for about 1/2 that price. I must have got lucky.

So when are we going to be seeing some of those images from that camera?
Yeah....I made bid, and would love to have the function of a split image/grid.... but not sure I can drop $300+ on a focusing screen. Sounds like you got a steal of a deal, I am going to keep the lookout...but might have to make a compromise. Either way I feel like I need to make an upgrade over the stock screen.

Is there a thread in this forum for Hasselblad shots, or all encompassing medium format? I got my first roll back from the lab. My scanning skills need some work, but I think they turned out pretty decent for my first MF photos. Nothing mind blowing, but just trying out some different situations. I was out yesterday near Hood River OR enjoying the blooming fruit trees. Other than a few with my X100, I shot with my 500cm and K1000 with was a lot of fun....hopefully the photos do the trick.

I have been using the viewfinder meter (PME3 I believe), and sometime comparing reading with my K1000 or X100. Still looking to either pick up a spotmeter or ambient meter.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
From a flickr discussion, user LukeH
I did see this on Flickr, but thanks for the post. The microprism finder looks very cloudy compared to the other two....however any of these would probably be an upgrade for my system. I read that stock viewfinders can throw off the PME viewfinder readings a bit, I think they said 1/3-2/3 of a stop...either of you have input on this?

Like I said, I am on the hunt for a deal on a split image/grid AMD finder....If either of you happen upon one, feel free to PM me

Thanks for the great input!
04-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
Yeah....I made bid, and would love to have the function of a split image/grid.... but not sure I can drop $300+ on a focusing screen.
Have you looked for them at keh.com? I just did and the selection is small right now but I think you could find a less expensive alternative.

QuoteQuote:
Is there a thread in this forum for Hasselblad shots, or all encompassing medium format?
Well, before the 645D came along, most of us posting in the medium format thread had more than one brand of MF film camera and posted there. And if you shoot BW, there is a post your BW film thread where you will find shots from old folders to Hasselblads. And there is a post your film thread that most color shots are posted and you will again find more than Pentax film cameras.

Since there are so few film shooters compared to digital, I don't see why it should matter, personally.
04-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, before the 645D came along, most of us posting in the medium format thread had more than one brand of MF film camera and posted there. And if you shoot BW, there is a post your BW film thread where you will find shots from old folders to Hasselblads. And there is a post your film thread that most color shots are posted and you will again find more than Pentax film cameras.

Since there are so few film shooters compared to digital, I don't see why it should matter, personally.
I agree, not sure it would matter....but I also don't want to step on any toes, this is mainly a Pentax Forum after all. I wouldn't mind cross posting in a BW, MF, or general film thread, however it might be nice to have a dedicated Hasselblad or square format thread as I do feel the images stand apart. I know when I was considering my X100 it was nice to have an all encompassing Fuji thread to get answers and view examples...might be nice for Hasselblad as well especially since there seems to be questions about body models, lenses, screens ect. Not sure how many Hasselblad shooters are on this forum, would you find a dedicated thread in the Non-Pentax section useful?

Have you looked for them at keh.com? I just did and the selection is small right now but I think you could find a less expensive alternative.
I have kept my eye on KEH and Ebay looking for a screen. I would love to find a deal on a Acute Matte D grid/split screen (#42215), but like I said it might be out of my budget. KEH is offering an Acute Matte grid/split image screen (#42170) for $225....still pricey, and not sure how this varies from the "D" model screen, but looking at the price there must be a difference.

I just purchased a used "old" style viewfinder off Ebay today that appears to be in good condition and working order. I noticed that you have a "later" model waist level finder. I see it has a black cover latch, but aside from that is there any functional difference?

04-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
however it might be nice to have a dedicated Hasselblad or square format thread as I do feel the images stand apart
Not sure how many Hasselblad shooters are on this forum, would you find a dedicated thread in the Non-Pentax section useful?
You can always start a thread. But I think you'll find it won't be very active. That's why most of us posted any MF film shots just to keep the thread "hopping". I think starting a Post Your MF Film thread for any camera would see more activity.

And with film, the body plays a less significant role in the final image, IMHO. It is the film used and the glass on the box holding the film that matters most.

Last edited by tuco; 04-16-2013 at 12:26 PM.
04-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good point(s). Maybe I will post my Hasselblad shots in the Pentax MF thread for now and see if there is any blow back....I see some Fuji MF shots added recently. I like the idea of an all encompassing MF Film thread. I wouldn't start one as of yet, need to get some more content before I go creating threads.

It is the film used and the glass on the box holding the film that matters most.
Not to mention your developing techniques. I am still trying to figure out what type of film will work best for me, but it's nice to know that the glass is good to go. I have only seen the results from one roll, but just the difference with process/shooting vs. digital has been great.