Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Unless Pentax goes bust I don't think I want to switch. I've handled Canon and Nikon and I have to say I was never really happy on how they felt.
If Pentax bust ... I'll cry and most probably move on to Fuji ... or maybe I'll even stretch to a Leica ... :/

05-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Fuji.
Fuji +1
05-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fuji. The IQ from the X-Pro, X-E1, and new X100s is as good as it comes, rivaling FF in almost every aspect.
I've heard people say this and I've looked at comparison photos. I don't see it. Fuji IQ is behind Pentax. Low ISO shots are not as detailed as the K-5 IIs. High ISO shots are low noise, but lack detail and have washed out colours, a sure sign of heavy handed NR.

Pentax for me. I need a DSLR because it's the only all-purpose format. I have K-01 and Q kits for casual shooting. I bought both for the price of one Sony RX-100. I ain't leaving until they carry Pentax out feet first. I'll be dead of old age before then.

If I had to change, it would have to be a Canon DSLR for their long lenses. It would begrudge losing IBIS, and I hate Canon controls and Canon red skin tones.

Last edited by audiobomber; 05-02-2013 at 07:58 PM.
05-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Tricky one- would probably be a a couple of FF Nikons (model depending on price) with the twin 2.8 zooms for paid work. I just like the controls and ergonomics, similar to Pentax.
For day to day stuff would either stay with Q aswell as either a Fuji or K01 with a triple set of primes.
Its the money I would loose on my camera body (K7) which would probably keep me in the system unless I fiscally could afford to make it a business expense.

05-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am making the switch now to Olympus m43.... I like the smaller bodies and I am good with the quality I am getting out of them. I am keeping some old Pentax primes to use... And I may consider a Pentax Q at some point down the road... I really like that little camera... I also still own a Pentax Auto 110...

I don't think I would ever go Nikon or Canon... mostly cause of the snobs that have them.. I know.. i know.. just wouldn't want to be pegged a snob I do like what Fuji is doing.. I like the bodies tho they are totally ripping off Leica..

Owell... nice thread.. interesting posts... I really hope Pentax offers what the members are asking for.. but even if they did, i still think there would be a lot who would still be negative for the sake of being negative...

Adios!
05-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #36
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I've heard people say this and I've looked at comparison photos. I don't see it. Fuji IQ is behind Pentax. Low ISO shots are not as detailed as the K-5 IIs. High ISO shots are low noise, but lack detail and have washed out colours, a sure sign of heavy handed NR.

Pentax for me. I need a DSLR because it's the only all-purpose format. I have K-01 and Q kits for casual shooting. I bought both for the price of one Sony RX-100. I ain't leaving until they carry Pentax out feet first. I'll be dead of old age before then.

If I had to change, it would have to be a Canon DSLR for their long lenses. It would begrudge losing IBIS, and I hate Canon controls and Canon red skin tones.
We see what we want to see, I assume? My friend with the 410 pound wife thinks she is a beauty queen, and thinks my 118 pound wife is malnourished and too shapely. You are free to see what you want!

Regards!
05-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Fuji is not bad... not bad at all actually... I'm also very interested in what Sony does.

05-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #38
Veteran Member

We see what we want to see, I assume? My friend with the 410 pound wife thinks she is a beauty queen, and thinks my 118 pound wife is malnourished and too shapely. You are free to see what you want!

Regards!
I just wish DXOMark would get on with the testing and end the speculation.
05-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #39
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I just wish DXOMark would get on with the testing and end the speculation.
Won't matter....my friend would not believe the scales, he would still claim that 400# of lard is more attractive than a well toned 118# of well nourished firm flesh. We still see what we want to see, it's how we are wired.

Regards!
05-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Regards!
If you are in a well and unwilling to come out you will never see the real world.
05-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Probably go 100% film, except for the phone camera...

Steve

(...though the Nikon D600 looks pretty good...)
05-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
I am trying to educate myself for the next big jump. I myself tend to consider Canon FF (like the old 5D-II which is getting cheaper even brand new, I think). My friend who owns D800 won't agree with my decision. So what do you guys think, if you have used K5 (or its derivatives) and want to move away from Pentax which brand will you consider?

Edit: As a hobbyist, I am not considering to switch brands any time soon, but just trying not to be a frog in the well. As of now I am quiet happy with my K5 classic. I even bought a used K20D as a second camera to make me click happy. Prior to K5, I used Zenit 122 and Minolta 5xi. In addition to that I have used many P&S cameras like Canon G2.

OP:
I changed to Nikon FF, because of... nope... wont tell you that.

Because:
Why i did it has nothing to do with wether you should or should not do it. This is what you should think about for your self.
No one here or anywhere can tell you why you should do anything, you need to figure this out yourself.

But you asked:
well... it was the D600 and Nikons 1.8G lenses, CLS, big bright VF, AF system

My setup was a K-7/K-5 with 15/31/43/77 Ltd's and two YN560 flashes.

So that became a D600 with 28/50/85 1.8G lenses.
All these three lenses perform great at a decent price point.

What i miss:
The build and design of Pentax K-5/K-7 body and the features, button layout. The build, design and "feel" of the DA/FA Ltd's.

Summary:
I hope this contribute in some way, its just my experience and my opinions about a system change. And as you can see from my experience, without saying to much, theres always tradeoffs/pros and cons with everything when changing systems.
In the end, i think its better to concentrate on what you really need from your tool than to be the "brand loyal no matter what" type.
They make gear for us to use, its our market, they work for us.

If you really are an "hobbyist" in that sense that gear is more important than taking pictures, fine, thats a type of interest to.
But why ask others then?

Future:
Fujifilm has my attention the most. Seems to me they are the new refreshing and innovating company in the industry. The do brilliant stuff right now, and i'll be watching very close.

Last edited by the swede; 05-03-2013 at 11:59 PM.
05-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I already have a Fuji X-E1 (lovely, in case you're wondering). I'm putting off pre-ordering the new Fuji telezoom because that would make my DSLR gear redundant. Also thinking about the new Ricoh GR which would at least keep me "in the family".

This has nothing to do with any inadequacies of the Pentax system per se (although I do have nagging doubts about the company's continuing low sales and poor strategic decisions - I don't want to be holding onto £2000 worth of gear that suddenly becomes near worthless because Ricoh pull the plug on the DSLR business) - it's just a matter of preferring the smaller form factor.
05-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I'd most likely choose Fuji and then (second choice) Sony NEX or Nikon. My needs are slightly different from most folks, in that an intermittent health problem means that big, heavy camera equipment is no-go from time to time, just can't manipulate it. I don't much care for it anyway, tbh. An alternative I am considering is a Ricoh GR or Fuji X100 series, with my better Pentax gear sold off and the money saved, plus retaining just my well-used K5 and favourite legacy lenses for some bokeh heaven. Then, next year, if there is a convincing FF mirrorless or three on the market, I can use my savings and remaining gear as a down payment towards something really special. If the Sony RX1 wasn't at trophy pricing I'd probably have one already - it's just the kind of camera I like.

I still get superb quality from my K5 and lenses. But the weight issue can be a bummer for me and my main worry is that Pentax's management are so prone to cock-ups that I could be left with gear worth very little because the parent company starts plug-pulling. This is the main reason I'd make any move. Pentax IQ is still there in spades for me, and since I mostly shoot using only the "M" setting, electronic wizardry isn't that high on my list either. But I do want gear from a company I can have confidence in.

Last edited by mecrox; 05-04-2013 at 02:12 AM.
05-04-2013, 02:17 AM   #45
Pentaxian

IMO, the future is full of possibilities.

A WA compact like the DP1M with fantastic low ISO IQ is a worthy addition onto a APS-C/FF kit. Worth it just for the landscapes alone. The APSC/FF can do the rest of the stuff that don't need so much fine detail and be more versatile.

I see Fuji nip at the heels of Pentax on smallish apsc based cameras with smallish and fast primes (used to be Pentax's main advantage over Canikony)
But its maybe 2-3rys away due to lens range, EVF limitations and slow CDAF speed.

If FF is going to be as small as a K5 or a NEX, then that would be what I'd like to get. (whatever brand)
Otherwise, a FF camera (esp. 2nd hand) isn't too expensive with some plastic fantastics (ie. f1.8; f2; f2.8 primes), but these will always be big and have higher encumbrance than a Pentax aps-c.
Just do dual/multi system.

A Pentax up till this point of time, comes at good prices, is a good balance of speedy DSLR type handling, good IQ the match of any camera for most intents and purposes, size as a system, quality of lenses, WR + SR and a joy to use.
I don't see myself changing systems. Only adding systems if I want.