Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
Site Supporter

5Dc = 5D classic

Canon never called it the 5DC, but many people use the term "classic" to distinguish the original 5d from the mark II and mark III.

05-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
5Dc just means 5D 'classic' cause the 5D term has been used to describe all the three 5D models by different folks over time that it can become confusing which model the person is talking about.
05-07-2013, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #18

If you want to save some money I can also recommend the original 5D as it can be found very cheaply (I got mine for 350€; ~45000 clicks). It is very ascetic but takes pictures (that's the meaning of a camera, no?). It doesn't have any of the "cool" new features of the latest cameras but image quality is very very good (I shoot only RAW and process in Lightroom 4). It does not have the dynamic range of the newest sensors but can deliver excellent images. It can also take Pentax lenses with adapters which was the main factor for me (but requires at least aperture shield removal (which is very easy task, just remove three screws on mount); I didn't remove the lever as I use them on K-5 also). I don't even have any Canon lenses (and I'm not planning to buy any), all my lenses are K-mount. Here is picture of my FF set which includes Vivitar 28mm F2 (PKA), SMC-A 50mm/1.4 (on camera), Samyang 85mm/1.4, Tokina AT-X 90mm/2.5 macro and SMC-K 135mm/2.5:

Here are also few shots taken with those:

Vivitar 28mmF2

SMC-A50mm/1.4:

Samyang 85mm/1.4:

Tokina AT-X 90mm/2.5 macro:

SMC-K 135mm/2.5:

Sorry, not trying to misguide you, just an option to medicate the FF fewer
05-07-2013, 04:25 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpyykonen Quote
If you want to save some money I can also recommend the original 5D as it can be found very cheaply (I got mine for 350€; ~45000 clicks). It is very ascetic but takes pictures (that's the meaning of a camera, no?). It doesn't have any of the "cool" new features of the latest cameras but image quality is very very good (I shoot only RAW and process in Lightroom 4). It does not have the dynamic range of the newest sensors but can deliver excellent images. It can also take Pentax lenses with adapters which was the main factor for me (but requires at least aperture shield removal (which is very easy task, just remove three screws on mount); I didn't remove the lever as I use them on K-5 also). I don't even have any Canon lenses (and I'm not planning to buy any), all my lenses are K-mount. Here is picture of my FF set which includes Vivitar 28mm F2 (PKA), SMC-A 50mm/1.4 (on camera), Samyang 85mm/1.4, Tokina AT-X 90mm/2.5 macro and SMC-K 135mm/2.5:

Here are also few shots taken with those:

Vivitar 28mmF2

SMC-A50mm/1.4:

Samyang 85mm/1.4:

Tokina AT-X 90mm/2.5 macro:

SMC-K 135mm/2.5:

Sorry, not trying to misguide you, just an option to medicate the FF fewer
Nice shots and nice lenses.
Interesting..... you mean you don't need to remove the lever and the 5D mirror doesn't hit the lever?

05-07-2013, 04:55 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Nice shots and nice lenses.
Interesting..... you mean you don't need to remove the lever and the 5D mirror doesn't hit the lever?
Yes at least with adapters I bought and those are the cheapest I could find in ebay (couple with AF chip, couple without; 5-10€ a piece). In some situations there may be horizontal vignetting at the bottom of the image, so there may be some slight contact in some situations (especially with 28mm and 50mm and wide open) but nothing that would prevent mirror moving. I tried with A*300/4 also but that didn't fit (lever prevented mirror moving). So at least in my book it works well enough. As I searched this before I was surprised how much there was "it does not work" and such posts. As I got 5D cheaply I decided to try it and seems to work well enough at least for me. May of course vary lens by lens.
05-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpyykonen Quote
Yes at least with adapters I bought and those are the cheapest I could find in ebay (couple with AF chip, couple without; 5-10€ a piece). In some situations there may be horizontal vignetting at the bottom of the image, so there may be some slight contact in some situations (especially with 28mm and 50mm and wide open) but nothing that would prevent mirror moving. I tried with A*300/4 also but that didn't fit (lever prevented mirror moving). So at least in my book it works well enough. As I searched this before I was surprised how much there was "it does not work" and such posts. As I got 5D cheaply I decided to try it and seems to work well enough at least for me. May of course vary lens by lens.
Thanks.

Man! I'm so glad I participated in this discussion and ended up meeting you and learning something new.

Yes, so many "it does not work" comments out there regarding this, and I've been guilty of this too.
I suspect it may have to do with lever length for each individual lens and lens focal length (shorter and faster lenses then to have more mirror clearance problems)

Immediately after seeing your previous post, I removed the guard from my M85/2 and IT WORKS!
Now, I can probably put many of my MF K-mounts to try out and prove that the lenses still work on FF (despite what the theories out there say)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
05-07-2013, 05:23 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Thanks.

Man! I'm so glad I participated in this discussion and ended up meeting you and learning something new.

Yes, so many "it does not work" comments out there regarding this, and I've been guilty of this too.
I suspect it may have to do with lever length for each individual lens and lens focal length (shorter and faster lenses then to have more mirror clearance problems)

Immediately after seeing your previous post, I removed the guard from my M85/2 and IT WORKS!
Now, I can probably put many of my MF K-mounts to try out and prove that the lenses still work on FF (despite what the theories out there say)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Well, umm, you're welcome I can hardly take any credit as the "secret" has been under our noses all the time And yeah, it's exciting to try those older Pentax lenses on FF