Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What I see on my Camera?

I've been shooting for several years and I've gotten pretty knowledgable about processing and converting raw files. But there's one thing i've NEVER been able to figure out and it's driving me crazy. How the heck do I get the photo to look like what I see in the damn camera??? I've processed probably 3000+ photos (99.5% raw) the last couple years and usually do by eye. I don't use the histogram. Some pictures are much better in what the camera shows me, than what I could process with the raw file at home. In my D300, I have all the picture controls set to "0". Color, contrast sharpness, everything. When developing in lightroom, most controls are set to neutral and I work from there by sight. And the "Camera Standard" profile is also selected too, of course. When I convert using the free NX Capture software, the photo looks like garbage. Nothing like what I see on screen, even the perfectly exposed shots. If I nail a shot that looks perfect while shooting jpeg only, then convert with lightroom OR NX capture, the colors are oversaturated, the lighting is dull, just plain garbage compared to what i'm seeing on the camera screen. This isn't rocket science and someone out there must know the answer. We buy these cameras to take great photos and perhaps save time from having to spend hours tweaking colors and white balance in post processing to get the photo to look like what it SHOULD be.

05-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Why don't you post an OOC JPEG and the same one you've edited from RAW so we have some idea to gauge what you're talking about. Many D300 users loaded a custom color profile someone put together that was more representative of the D200's colors, I believe.
05-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Why don't you post an OOC JPEG and the same one you've edited from RAW so we have some idea to gauge what you're talking about. Many D300 users loaded a custom color profile someone put together that was more representative of the D200's colors, I believe.
Will do that! Thanks!
05-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #4

It could be a simple as the fact everything looks better on a small screen. Or am I not understanding your question.

I found this phenomenon greatly exaggerated on NEX cameras with hybrid viewfinders.

05-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is just as you say....almost always better on the LCD than when you download it to your computer. There may be several reasons for this, but it is a fact of life.
I have had "closer" results with my Fuji X20 than on any other camera I own or have owned, including my K5. The Fuji is usually better after downloading than it was on the LCD....and I'm not sure why this is either?

Regards!