Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Nikon Micro (Macro) lenses

Does anyone here have any experience with the 85mm Micro, 60mm Micro or 40mm Micro lenses? I'm thinking of getting one for my parents as a Mothers/Fathers day present since they have a Nikon D80. My mother does a lot of gardening and she's also a NICU nurse so she's working with newborn kids who are sick. She uses the kit 18-70 lens to take pictures of both. My dad is an avid cyclist and also his other hobby is N-Scale trains. He's thinking of selling some of his cars on ebay, and I figure a macro lens would allow him to get the close up detail shots that he needs to show the work he puts into them. I'm just looking for opinions on which you feel would be better for these situations, I know the 85 is an F3.5 and the rest are 2.8, but they are all relatively in the same boat for pricing.

Any help is much appreciated!

-Michael

05-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #2

Original Poster
Also if anyone has experience with the Sigma 70mm F2.8 Macro that has crossed my radar as well.
05-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
All Nikon Marco lenses are razor sharp as they make scientific research microscopes, same for Leica & Zeiss. You get the idea.

For a cropped sensor, I will opt for the 60mm for medium shooting distance & wider coverage. 80mm is great if you want to isolate your subject because the DOF is very shallow, which pretty much require a tripod or strobe at all time. 40mm is perfect for close up of still life or landscape, and can be handheld easily.

Last edited by MJL; 05-29-2013 at 08:09 AM.
05-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
All Nikon Marco lenses are razor sharp as they build scientific research microscopes, same for Lecia & Zeiss. You get the idea.

For a cropped sensor, I will opt for the 60mm for medium shooting distance & wider coverage. 80mm is great if you want to isolate your subject because the DOF is very shallow. 40mm is prefect for close up of still life or landscape.
80mm or 105. Especially for n scale. I did n scale for a while until I needed the space and used a Tamaron 90mm 2.8 and found thr focal length perfect

06-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
I ended up going for the Tokina 35mm F2.8 Macro for $329, it seemed like a good bang for your buck lens and I tested it out for a bit. They haven't used it yet but I think they'll be fine with it. I wish I had gone a little longer on the focal length for working distance but it should be fine.