Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #1

D40 & Windows 8

First, sorry about posting here about my D40 but I wasn't able to find a specific forum. I recently updated my PC from XP to windows 8 and the software disc that came with my camera (obviously old) won't load the drivers. Does anyone have a solution other than buying a new camera?

05-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did you go to the Nikon website to see if there is an updated version available for down load? Pentax has done that before.
05-22-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
You shouldn't need any software to read the SD card ( if that is the problem ? ). Just put the card in any SD Card reader, no drivers required.

If you are trying to use Nikon's original D40 software to "manage" your photos, respectfully, I would think it is time to move on. Use whatever comes with Windows 8, or one of the many many free software packages.

( Sorry I can't advise which to use. I use a Mac with my D50, and Macs have iPhoto and RAW support for all cameras built in. I am sure Windows has similar software either built in or available for little or no cost )

No need to buy a new camera !
05-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I haven't used Win 8, it should read your card with any card reader or your camera if it's connected with the USB cable. I have never opened the CD that came with my K5. I bought my daughter a used D200 a couple of years ago and the same thing. She just loads her card to her Macbook and uses Aperture. Windows can read a JPEG from any camera. Windows can also read most RAW files although you may have to download a codec, usually free. There are tons of photo editing and cataloging programs out there and some are free, like Google's "Picasa".