Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Leica X Vario

Not the cheapest camera, but basicly this can do all the things a K-01 can do, but with an EVF.

Leica announces X Vario zoom compact with APS-C sensor: Digital Photography Review

Price overhere is 2495 euro!!!!!!!!

Waiting for the review, since it must be a great camera. The f6.4 on the tele-end is a little slow.

06-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hmm. Normally I'd defend Leica products on the strength of their great optics, but I'm struggling to see the relevance of this one. As you say, the maximum aperture at the long end is slow, but the long end isn't that long! Maybe there's a market for it, but the price seems extraordinarily high, even compared with its sibling APS-C Leica X2, but maybe I'm comparing US prices with European ones. This makes the Hasselblad Lunar look realistic, on the surface of it.
06-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hilariously stupid product. Not aimed at photographers.
06-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Waiting for the review, since it must be a great camera. The f6.4 on the tele-end is a little slow.
Both ends are a little slow IMO, otherwise I think I would have considered this!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Hilariously stupid product. Not aimed at photographers.
Actually I think it is aimed at photographers, just not the gear heads. This is a camera that may do very well amongst owners and very poorly on the forums. Time will tell.

I shoot a full frame, APS-c and some primes and a zoom. I recently used software to see what apertures and focal lengths I use most.

I could live nicely within the confines of the lens on the Leica. I have 1.8 aperture primes. In 2012 I shot 5 photos at that aperture that I kept. I have 300 and 350mm equivalent zooms on two other cameras, I barely use those. 28-70 is the bulk of my photos and 5.6 - 8 is the bulk aperture wise.

The big problem is the whole thing is disposable. $2800 and you're locked into that lens and those electronics until you decide to buy something else. In five years the electronics will be way outdated and then you've got to get rid of a perfectly good lens to upgrade to something newer.

I think for me the answer is get back into Pentax so I can have the FA31 again. I really miss that lens. The build was amazing as was it's output.

The Leica supposedly has a nice build too. I appreciate that. I come from a family that builds custom items, so I probably come by that appreciation naturally.

The Canon and Nikon blobs of poly carbonate lenses just don't do a thing for me. They may be technically superior, more durable whatever, but they look and feel like crap in most cases compared with some of the Pentax Limiteds or any of the Leica primes and are too damned big. (Yes, I know that if you go back in Canon or Nikon's history there are a few nicely built metal lenses, I'm thinking about current production models)

All that is a long winded way of saying I would be a potential buyer for the X-Vario because it fits my shooting, not liking the idea of it being disposable though.
06-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I assume those are equivalent focal length numbers on that zoom lens, wtf.
07-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
Jon

€500 for the camera.
€2000 for the Red Dot.

07-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've held the x-vario. Very nice build. Nothing like the X1. Much more solid. Feels better than the Fuji X-1 pro and X100(s) as well. I loved the fact that you can dial your settings in with the camera completely off and know what shutter speed and aperture you are shooting. This is nice if you came from film cameras with manual controls. Very straight forward. Good manual focus too.

Leaf shutter for hi speed sync could be a creation machine for strobists.

For the person that wants top notch IQ and never wants to change lenses or someone that likes a camera with a UI that gets out of your way and let's you photograph this is the ticket.

Ming's review The 2013 Leica X Vario (Typ 107) review ? Ming Thein | Photographer

Pricey for certain though and nowhere near the value proposition of a dslr, but then sometimes, it's not all about value. If this is a hobby, shoot what makes you happy.