Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #1

Please help me decide! :)

I am going to be buying my first DSLR. I have a film SLR, and a Pentax Optio A40, but I want to go into the DSLR world now that I am getting back into photography.

I am buying the new Pentax K50 for my wife's birthday/graduation present. It is quite perfect for her needs, except I'm going to get the body and then the better DA WR lenses separately.

As for myself, I'm sort of undecided which way to go:

1) Pentax K50 - then sell and upgrade whenever the rumored K3 is coming out.
2) Pentax K5 IIs - then sell and upgrade whenever the rumored K3 is coming out.
3) SONY SLT-A77 - huge sale on right now.
4) Nikon D7100 - huge sale on right now.

I've been doing a lot of reading regarding sensor size and pixel size, so I'm led to believe that the Pentax K5 IIs would be the better way to go. Or should I start off with the cheaper K50 (I love that cocoa brown/brown version that I can special order)?

Your help would be most appreciated!

06-18-2013, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make a wish list not of the cameras that you want but what you want in your ideal camera and then see which one comes closest and then look at other factors like being able to share lenses with your wife etc.

There is a world of difference between a K50 and a K5iis. If you are thinking about one vs the other it means you are not really clear about what your want.

Dont buy a camera to see and upgrade when something else comes out. Buy it for your current needs. What is it that a K5iis lacks that makes you think you need the rumored K3. If there is something specific, then just buy another camera/brand that already has those things...

Happy Hunting.
06-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
I'm leaning towards the Pentax K5 IIs because of what I read here... Pentax K-5 II vs. Sony SLT-A77 - Sensor Comparison

From what I understand the Pentax K5 IIs, since it has the larger sensor size, will give me a better picture even though it's MP rating is 16.3 MP vs. the SONY SLT-A77's 24.3.
06-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My only advice would be to make sure you want a DSLR. A number of years ago, I purchased a DSLR. Afterwards, I found that a small mirrorless camera with a small prime lens fit my needs (ok, wants) much better (the extra portability came in handy when hiking and traveling).

With that said, any modern DSLR's will provide excellent image quality. If I was shopping for a new DSLR, I would buy a used k-5 and use the extra $500 to $700 to buy one of the fa limited lenses .

06-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-30 is basically the same as the 50, but you maybe can save a few bucks right now since they are clearing out stock. I love mine.

If you really don't know what you want, a used KX is a fantastic entry camera for very little money.
06-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are set on the cameras listed as your choices, just toss a coin to pick between the K5iis and the d7100. You wont be wrong...

If not:
Choose the K5, if you want to share lenses with your wife's expected K50.
Choose the d7100, if you think you will be using your dslr also for video and for significant action/sport and if you think you want to try 2 different brands over a period of time. Of course, it would not be a fair comparison since they are not in the same price range but you will get some idea.

If I were you this is what I would do:
I would get a used K5 or nikon d7000 and spend my money on getting nice lenses.
06-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
If you really don't know what you want, a used KX is a fantastic entry camera for very little money.
My daughter has been rather tentative about learning photography.
However I did I notice that she admires a friends Pentax K5.

I bought her a nice used K-x to "test the waters"...

Chris

06-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by James Rhodes Quote
I'm leaning towards the Pentax K5 IIs because of what I read here... Pentax K-5 II vs. Sony SLT-A77 - Sensor Comparison

From what I understand the Pentax K5 IIs, since it has the larger sensor size, will give me a better picture even though it's MP rating is 16.3 MP vs. the SONY SLT-A77's 24.3.
23.7 x 15.7 mm vs 23.5 x 15.6 mm is still 1.5x crop APS-C.