Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fuji X20 Review

We've just posted an in-depth review of the new Fuji X20:

Fujifilm X20 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Fujifilm X20 Digital Camera (Silver) 16320696 B&H Photo Video

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Excellent review Adam, I appreciate your detail and in depth coverage. Better by far than any review I might have written on my X20. It made me want to go out and buy an X20....but of course, I already have one.

Having used the X10 for a year, I do agree with your findings that the X20 has some new and very beneficial features, namely the better OVF information, and the greatly improved AF speed and accuracy. The only thing I might add is the improved resolution over the X10...I notice this most when shooting portraits. Although not a first choice for portraits, the K5 and 43 Ltd or DA*50-135 shine in that area, the X20 will do a decent portrait if you just want to have fun with a small camera that has all the control you need at your fingertips.
[IMG] [/IMG]

A final word about my X20.....I was superficial, I bought it to get the silver body, but have been impressed by the improvements over my X10, in particular the superb AF speed and accuracy. Otherwise, I would have to say the X10 at its current lower price might be a real bargain for any shooter wanting a small dependable camera with good IQ, excellent colors and plenty of control in a well constructed solid little body. With either camera, the OVF can't be overlooked as essential if you shoot in very bright sunlight or moving subjects where tracking on an LCD is near impossible.

Best Regards & Thanks again!
Rupert
07-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I posted a link to this review in the Flickr X20 Forum and received this reply, which I think is worth noting........

"I'm reading this and find it interesting that the author has written the same erroneous information about the maximum shutter speed as most other articles has included. They state that the maximum shutter speed at f/2 is 1/1000s - this is true in 'A' mode but not true in 'S' or 'M' in either of those modes you can shoot 1/4000s at f/2, and you can use flash at those speeds as well. Here's the quote from the article:

"We're not happy about the coupling between shutter speeds and aperture - we would have liked to have 1/2000s and 1/4000s available at all apertures. As it is now it is not possible to use large apertures to control depth of field even in normal daylight since it calls for a faster shutter speed than is available at large apertures."

Makes me wonder if these guys actually used the camera before writing the review, or only repeated what they had read from other reviewers.

This is repeated in the review more than once and is obviously in the 'con' column if it were true, but it's not. Based on what I've read the leaf shutter is limited to 1/1000s but the x20 also has an electronic shutter that kicks in with the larger apertures.

Of course I don't agree witht he posters opinion that Adam wrote a review on "what he read"...I know better, but that aside, here are a couple of quick shots I took at 1/4000 f2.8 in M mode.

1/4000 f2.8 with fill flash...yes, it will sync all the way to 1/4000, which can be most useful.
[IMG] [/IMG]

I had to point at the sun to get enough light for this one....
1/4000 f 2.8
[IMG] [/IMG]

1/4000 f2.0 with fill flash ( Nice shoes Rupert! I bet they are comfortable! )
[IMG] [/IMG]

These are useful speeds and available in S or M....and with the metering gauge on the LCD, I find that shooting in M gives the best control and results for much of my shooting. There is little guesswork with the Fuji metering on the LCD, I find it is mostly very accurate. Just set the speed and/or aperture until the metering needle is where you want it and fire away!

Regards!
07-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

For what it's worth? I had hoped this well written review would receive more interest here, but I guess not everyone is as excited about the Fuji X cameras as I am...and I can understand that, this being Pentax site. Of course, I love my K5 and Pentax gear too, so I am not an outsider by any means.
I did want to say that I posted links to this fine review on several other sites I frequent, and as a result, there are 3 new X20 buyers that I am aware of...and there might be more? I don't know if that is a good thing for Adam or not, but I do think it gave prospective buyers a reason to cross the line and hit the Buy Now Button.
I like the reviews here, and find them more informative and unbiased than at most other sites, and always try to read them, no matter what product is being reviewed. Thanks again, these take time and effort, they aren't put together in 30 minutes, so your efforts get my full appreciation. I hope you keep them coming.
It is just one more reason this is my favorite site...and of course, Otis loves it too, but for a different reason. I think it is all those fancy exotic nuts he receives in the mail....he swears they are from Adam and not from some internet scheme he has cooked up??

Best Regards!
Rupert

07-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I read the review the other day and never commented. I will echo Rupert in saying thanks for the great review. It's nice to see other brands reviewed as well. Helps pull views too I imagine, which is a good thing.
07-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ryan, glad you posted a thank you. I see that many have at least viewed this review, but only two of us have left any comment. How would you feel if you went to all that trouble and it appeared only two were interested enough or appreciative enough to say a word in reply?
If we want to see these reviews keep coming, (next time it could be something of personal interest) we need to at least acknowledge that we appreciated the effort put forth in doing the review and putting it together for the members here. I'm not kissing Adam's butt, it may not be as handsome as old Norms, but no matter who does the reviews I think we need to at least thank them for the effort.

Regards!