Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Banned

Rumor: Is Sony prepping an Android phone with 4K video capture?

QuoteQuote:
It’s just a rumor at this point, but it’s possible that Sony will be coming to market with a new Android smartphone with a 20-megapixel sensor capable of capturing 4K-resolution video meant for Ultra HD TVs.

As reported by the Xperia Blog, system software for the phone codenamed “Honami” was uncovered which indicated that video capability will handle the higher 4K standard because of the power inherent in Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 800 chip. The chip’s specs state that it can handle both 4K and also stereoscopic 3D video and still images at a total resolution of 55-megapixels.

New camera modes are expected to be introduced to make use of these advanced features, though it’s not clear what will ultimately make it to the final product. The rumors also suggest that Sony will put its own stamp on Android to differentiate itself more from the crowded and competitive Android market. But again, details are vague, other than a revamped interface, apps and the new camera.

If this comes to fruition, it would be the first reported smartphone to offer 4K Ultra HD video capture, though there are standalone video cameras that can already do so. Ultra HD is still very new, and despite efforts to lower prices, content remains elusive, with true 4K-resolution Blu-ray discs only coming to market next year at the earliest. Sony has said a 4K streaming service is slated for launch this summer, but there has been no word yet on an exact date for that, nor how much content will be available and what it will cost to stream it.

Much like 3D first came to market, this may be a push to spur 4K adoption through user-generated content that can be played back directly onto a 4K Ultra HD TV. There’s also the possibility that competitors will be doing the same, particularly since Samsung, LG and Toshiba have also been working on 4K Ultra HD TVs.

Read more: Sony prepping Android phone with 4K video capture | Digital Trends
QuoteQuote:
A few days ago the system dump for Sony’s new flagship, codenamed Honami, was leaked. The leak came from a Canadian carrier device with model number C6906. We can’t say for sure that the C6906 model number definitely relates to Honami, but if it’s not then it is another device in the same generation. Well, as you can guess, it didn’t take too long for the system dump to be analysed in detail and reveal a number of hidden secrets about the handset.

First of all, a number of strings in the build.prop have revealed some key specs for the handset. This includes a Snapdragon 800 chipset, the ability to capture 20MP photos (resolution of 5248 x 3936) with a new Super Resolution algorithm set and record video at 4K (4000 x 2000) with aspect ratio of 2:1. Other camera features include ISO up to 12800 as well as a Steadyshot mode.
Sony ?Honami? system dump reveals new UI and imaging specs (20MP camera, 4K video) | Xperia Blog

Last edited by jogiba; 07-04-2013 at 07:24 AM.
07-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know, this may be exciting to you young whippersnappers, but to old guys like me it is just one more thing to not understand.....and get frustrated trying. The technology is moving faster than my ancient brain, and just when I (think) I have mastered programming a VCR, they become obsolete.

I enjoy some of this stuff, like a nice microwave, or fuel injection, but understand almost none of it. You guys slow down a little, show some respect for us old guys and write us a handwritten letter once in a while...you do still write? Drop by and see us in the flesh every so often. Skype is nice but it isn't the same for us. Try to imagine a time when you are old and out of the loop....regardless of your feelings now, you will be old someday....if you are lucky!

Regards!

BTW- If you young peckerwoods come up with that hologram stuff I read about, give us some warning before you show up in our living rooms unexpected! We startle pretty easy with stuff like that!
07-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
Rupert, I bet you are not that much older than me. I purchased my first 35mm SLR ( Canon Pellix QL w/58mm F1.2) in 1966 and my most used slide film back then was Kodachrome II ( 25 ASA ) and for high speed I use High Speed Ektachrome ( 160 ASA ) or Tri-X B&W (400 ASA) .
07-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Rupert, I bet you are not that much older than me.
I don't know, but I am a little younger than old Jim (Parallax) and when they tested his DNA it came back with a reading six days older than dirt.

Regards!