Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon Testing a 75+MP EOS-1 Body?

QuoteQuote:
Additionally, Canon has had a 50MP APS-H sensor since at least 2007, and a 120MP APS-H sensor since 2010. A 75MP or higher resolution full frame sensor is not out of the realm of possibility – particularly when we are seeing smartphone cameras at 41MP.

- the initial link was so short that a quote would have been nearly 1/2 the article....

Last edited by interested_observer; 07-21-2013 at 07:19 PM.
07-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Please include a quote or a comment when posting links.

Very cool, though! The d800 will have to be beaten eventually, and with their fast chips I wouldn't be surprised if canon pulls it off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I shudder to think what the file size of a 75MP RAW or JPEG would be.
07-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Betting it's 36-38mp w/ Dual Pixel AF, i.e. 72-75mil photodiodes.

07-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
That would make more sense to me.
07-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

When was the 1Dx released again? Isn't it too early for a replacement yet?
07-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
That would make more sense to me.
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I agree that that it's not gonna be a straight up 75mp ala today's common sensors.

It might be why Canon hasn't appeared to make a lot of headway with the aps-c sensor compared to Sony. I think they've been working to leapfrog rather than match.

07-26-2013, 03:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
When was the 1Dx released again? Isn't it too early for a replacement yet?
Hmm, I want to say that they finished that camera over a year and a half ago and it just took them forever to fill their orders. I know a guy who shoots professionally who took a bit to get his. But point taken.

Here, looks like they announced it in October, 2011: Canon EOS-1D X professional DSLR announcement and overview: Digital Photography Review

The other thing that would make sense to me is if they are trying to update their high megapixel pro camera line (can't recall what they named their last one. The 1ds III?) to compete with Nikon's high MP count and also venture into medium format territory. Then 40-75 mp would probably be appropriate. I think some Canon users who are concerned about such things are probably still miffed they can't get a relatively affordable camera with a MP size of their rival.
07-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
they're doing something like Foveon and stacking rgb sites/lenses. So it's 80/3 in reality.
Or something like 40MP but they'll market it "like 75MP because there's no AA filter or bayer filter"...

Sounds like it'll have more detail than the D800. Curious if they'll have the dynamic range of Sony's crazy sensors...
07-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Here, looks like they announced it in October, 2011: Canon EOS-1D X professional DSLR announcement and overview: Digital Photography Review

The other thing that would make sense to me is if they are trying to update their high megapixel pro camera line (can't recall what they named their last one. The 1ds III?) to compete with Nikon's high MP count and also venture into medium format territory. Then 40-75 mp would probably be appropriate. I think some Canon users who are concerned about such things are probably still miffed they can't get a relatively affordable camera with a MP size of their rival.
So it does seem to follow the 2-year interval they've done before. Anyway yup the 1Ds MkIII was the 21 MP one if I remember correctly. The D3x was 24 MP I think.

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
they're doing something like Foveon and stacking rgb sites/lenses. So it's 80/3 in reality.
Or something like 40MP but they'll market it "like 75MP because there's no AA filter or bayer filter"...

Sounds like it'll have more detail than the D800. Curious if they'll have the dynamic range of Sony's crazy sensors...
I doubt it, but who knows, this time Canon may have hit a pot of gold with their upcoming sensors...