Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2013, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Holy cow...I didnt know we can use an adapter to mount pentax lenses to sony. do they work well? I have this manual lens I really want to be able to use on a full frame
They work fine. Obviously you still get crop factor unless you use one of those Speed Boosters.

This is one of the major selling points of mirrorless systems* - you can get all kinds of old manual focus glass spanning a wide variety of systems for the cost of a $20 adapter for each system. I love some of my old Nikon and K-series Pentax glass, plus I can use stuff like Konica or rangefinder lenses with register distances that were too long for my old EOS, and if I find something really oddball it's no big deal just to buy an adapter.

* Mirrorless systems that don't have a DSLR-length register distance like the K-01 that is. Sony made the wise choice of going with the shorter register distance, while releasing an adapter that provides compatibility with their Alpha/Maxxum DSLR lenses, which is what Pentax should have done. They even released a SLT-type adapter that provides phase-detect autofocus at the cost of some light.

08-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #32
Banned

I mentioned it in another thread- the NEX6 EVF converted me. I loved it and the lag was pretty much non-existent. And they will only get better, but if EVFs that good start replacing OVFs, then fine, I'm sold.
08-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery
So this whole EVF thing, does it show actual exposure / light levels, or does it blind the user?

How is the battery life when observing wildlife (or street life) for hours thru a tele, waiting for the decisive moment?

Does it have an option for a rangefinder style wider view for anticipation of subjects entering the frame? Does it fill the field of vision like my old 35mm Pentax FF's did? (And my K10/20/5's don't)?

Or is it just a temporal & resolution limited battery hog?

Sorry, not buying it. At least not yet.
08-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
So this whole EVF thing, does it show actual exposure / light levels, or does it blind the user?

How is the battery life when observing wildlife (or street life) for hours thru a tele, waiting for the decisive moment?

Does it have an option for a rangefinder style wider view for anticipation of subjects entering the frame? Does it fill the field of vision like my old 35mm Pentax FF's did? (And my K10/20/5's don't)?

Or is it just a temporal & resolution limited battery hog?

Sorry, not buying it. At least not yet.
OLED EVF's, which almost all newer mirrorless cameras have, use very little battery life.

Flip it the other way, do our DSLR OVF's show live histograms? Can they show the impact of dialing in EV compensation in real time?

08-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I posted this on the K3 speculation thread - but it has relevance here as well:

On the subject of EVFs Michael Reichmann of the Luminous landscape reviewed the Sony DEV-50 which is representative of the current generation of digital binoculars, in this review the biggest complaint about these digital binoculars were:

" ...users need to accept that looking at a video screen, even a beautiful high-res 2.3M dot pair of OLED eyepiece screens, is not as clear nor as bright as looking through a pair of decent optical binoculars."

And that is about a pair of digital binoculars - that use small sensors, and have dedicated video hardware (and also still photography feature). His other complaint was on the short battery life of the device, and that the battery has to be charged while it is inside the device.

I won't be throwing away my Carl Zeiss binoculars anytime soon.
08-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You have a point Digitalis, but the chance of a K-mount FF camera with an OVF being made by anyone other than Ricoh is about zero. In the current camera market conditions, the chances of that seem to be diminishing every day too
08-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I personally am against EVFs in professional cameras - for entry level and amateur cameras they are perfectly fine, but for professional work, No. The screens themselves used in EVFs may not chew up much energy - it is the processing hardware that does, as well as the sensor and the increased requirements on the AF system - especially with larger sensor formats that will make energy requirements higher than a OVF equipped camera.

The Sony RX1 can take 270* shots on one charge, the Nikon D600 can take 900* shots - I know the RX1 doesn't have an EVF, reasonable battery capacity** and are based on roughly the same FX format sensor - the difference is the RX1 is using the sensor continuously, the D6 has an OVF and a shutter mechanism used to expose the sensor only as needed to produce an image.

*CIPA standard
** though what I take to be an unintentional oversight the RX1 could have had a more powerful battery without affecting the form factor - Nikon D600 uses the EN-EL15 7.0V 1900mAh 14Wh - Sony RX1 uses the NP-BX1 3.6V 1450mAh 4.5Wh

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-14-2013 at 03:52 AM.
08-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I personally am against EVFs in professional cameras - for entry level and amateur cameras they are perfectly fine, but for professional work, No. The screens themselves used in EVFs may not chew up much energy - it is the processing hardware that does, as well as the sensor and the increased requirements on the AF system - especially with larger sensor formats that will make energy requirements higher than a OVF equipped camera.

The Sony RX1 can take 270* shots on one charge, the Nikon D6 can take 900* shots - I know the RX1 doesn't have an EVF, reasonable battery capacity** and are based on roughly the same FX format sensor - the difference is the RX1 is using the sensor continuously, the D6 has an OVF and a shutter mechanism used to expose the sensor only as needed to produce an image.

*CIPA standard
** though what I take to be an unintentional oversight the RX1 could have had a more powerful battery without affecting the form factor - Nikon D6 uses the EN-EL15 7.0V 1900mAh 14Wh - Sony RX1 uses the NP-BX1 3.6V 1450mAh 4.5Wh
Pro's are people too, so there's as many differences amongst them as there are in people.

A pro that cares about battery life?!? That's funny. I can only think of photojournalists. I don't care if a pro level camera can only take 10 shots on its battery, or has no battery at all. In my studio its going to be hooked to the DC all the time. Because the LCD is switched on all the time. Much MUCH better control an accuracy.

And even if battery life would matter, what pro goes out shooting without extra batteries? If I'm prepared to lug around 20 lenses, three bodies, my flashes, triggers, bags, screens, reflectors, then I sure can accomodate 10 extra batteries that - in total - take up the space and weight of just one of my lenses.

IMHO, battery life is more of a reason to elevate EVF's to flagship / pro / prosumer level bodies, instead of keeping them at the entry level. Whilst OVF's are better off at the entry level cameras, where consumers find mobility so important, that they are prepared to sacrifice IQ and features. The only reason a feature should not be used if it is not helping the IQ.
08-14-2013, 02:06 AM   #39
Banned

The Sony RX1 can take 270* shots on one charge, the Nikon D6 can take 900* shots - I know the RX1 doesn't have an EVF, reasonable battery capacity** and are based on roughly the same FX format sensor - the difference is the RX1 is using the sensor continuously, the D6 has an OVF and a shutter mechanism used to expose the sensor only as needed to produce an image.

*CIPA standard
** though what I take to be an unintentional oversight the RX1 could have had a more powerful battery without affecting the form factor - Nikon D6 uses the EN-EL15 7.0V 1900mAh 14Wh - Sony RX1 uses the NP-BX1 3.6V 1450mAh 4.5Wh
And live view composition consumes nothing on the RX1?
08-14-2013, 02:55 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Pro's are people too, so there's as many differences amongst them as there are in people.

A pro that cares about battery life?!? That's funny. I can only think of photojournalists. I don't care if a pro level camera can only take 10 shots on its battery, or has no battery at all. In my studio its going to be hooked to the DC all the time. Because the LCD is switched on all the time. Much MUCH better control an accuracy.

And even if battery life would matter, what pro goes out shooting without extra batteries? If I'm prepared to lug around 20 lenses, three bodies, my flashes, triggers, bags, screens, reflectors, then I sure can accomodate 10 extra batteries that - in total - take up the space and weight of just one of my lenses.

IMHO, battery life is more of a reason to elevate EVF's to flagship / pro / prosumer level bodies, instead of keeping them at the entry level. Whilst OVF's are better off at the entry level cameras, where consumers find mobility so important, that they are prepared to sacrifice IQ and features. The only reason a feature should not be used if it is not helping the IQ.
There are lots of pros who shoot weddings, or take photographs on location, not in studio who appreciate having decent battery life and not having to change batteries, say, as a bride is walking down the aisle, etc. Funny that the only kind of pro you can think of who wants longer battery life would be photo journalists.
08-14-2013, 03:55 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
And live view composition consumes nothing on the RX1?
Well considering that live view presented on the rear LCD on the RX1 is the only way to compose an image..the bigger LCD would chew up more energy than an EVF would.
08-14-2013, 03:56 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

*CIPA standard
This does not show that RX1 consumes more energy. RX1 has about 1/3:rd of the battery power of D6, and also gives about 1/3:rd of the amount of images D6 battery gives. Had RX1 used the same battery as in D6, RX1 would be rated for 840 shots which is 7% less than D6.
If RX1 had EVF, CIPA rating might have showed that RX1 consumed less energy per shot than D6.
08-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #43
Banned

Well considering that live view presented on the rear LCD on the RX1 is the only way to compose an image..the bigger LCD would chew up more energy than an EVF would.
Just checking.

Also, there is an OVF available. I've seen several in Frankfurt am Main with the OVF.
08-14-2013, 04:58 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That's funny; the worse the battery life, the better (as in: suitable for pro usage) the camera? What else do your pros want to be worse? Body controls perhaps? Build quality?
08-14-2013, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's funny; the worse the battery life, the better (as in: suitable for pro usage) the camera? What else do your pros want to be worse? Body controls perhaps? Build quality?
Twisting words again huh? You're on my ignorelist from now on.