Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well those images are made by someone who is used to take images with some better equipement, so looks good to lure those innocent people into buying this A3000.

Surely you're being facetious here. Sony makes damn fine sensors, as Pentax's current line of cameras attest. We live a weird time, when the most entry of level cameras have better image quantity than the most esoteric professional equipment of 20 years ago. 300 bucks buys what 10,000 did then. It's amazing.

08-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So this is the first Sony Alpha with no A-mount, that is a good start to stop with it!

Well those images are made by someone who is used to take images with some better equipement, so looks good to lure those innocent people into buying this A3000.
Well, also that 16-70 is supposed to be one fantastic lens. Looks the part anyways.
08-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It's probably because the 20MP sensor do not have on-sensor PDAF, and this sensor might be manufactured for low cost, not high performance. So it's not really any upgrade of the 16MP sensor.
Actually those images look damn fine so I wouldn't be surprised if sensor is as good or even better than the current one. New Sony sensors have been very very good and I don't think Sony would spoil this reputation when new competitor like Toshiba is also coming up with fine sensors.

How it matters as long as those are taken by the same camera?
08-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Surely you're being facetious here. Sony makes damn fine sensors, as Pentax's current line of cameras attest. We live a weird time, when the most entry of level cameras have better image quantity than the most esoteric professional equipment of 20 years ago. 300 bucks buys what 10,000 did then. It's amazing.
Moreover 300 bucks apparently buys your MORE at Sony. Which other APS-C camera produces THAT IQ? (Even without considering the price!)

08-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #20

I feel it is just a mirrorless NEX camera in DSLR disguise
08-27-2013, 11:42 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Its just another spin on so called 'prosumer' or 'dslr-style' (for brits) cameras.
They used to be pns sensor sized, but the aps-c sensor is the new 'spin'
Target market was/is those who think looking like a dslr means good photos.
Of course, with an aps-c sensor, its a step up in IQ.

Personally, I don't think it concerns us enthusiast much.
08-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Actually those images look damn fine so I wouldn't be surprised if sensor is as good or even better than the current one. New Sony sensors have been very very good and I don't think Sony would spoil this reputation when new competitor like Toshiba is also coming up with fine sensors
Those images tell nothing about the sensor, but they do tell something about the lens used and the one holding the camera.

Sony use this 20MP in A58 too, and it show no IQ advantage over A57 with 16MP. And as the 20MP sensor is missing PDAF capacity it's not as useful on mirrorless cameras. The A58 is a dumbed down, cheaper version of A57, and it replace both A37 and A57.
So it's only lowest specified entry level cameras that use this sensor.

08-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by faceless_el Quote
I feel it is just a mirrorless NEX camera in DSLR disguise
I think that is exactly what it is...but that is not a bad thing at all. Just an NEX with a EVF and flash for people who prefer the form factor of a small DSLR.

Jason
08-28-2013, 12:41 AM   #24
Veteran Member

So to what can we attribute the super-IQ of the sample images? People in this thread claim the 20mp sensor isn't really superior to the 16mp. So that one is out. The lens may be very good, but not much better then the Pentax top tier lenses. Could the lack of mirror-slap be causing the fantastic IQ?

Imagine what a 20mp flagship APS-C DSLR from Pentax would cost. At least three times the 300 of the A3000, who in their right mind would choose the DSLR when you can get the same, of maybe better, IQ for a third or less of the price? You could buy a stellar lens with the money saved. This will make photography about lenses and optics again.

Imagine, if Sony can do such an APS-C EVIL for $300,- then they can probably do an FF EVIL for under $1000,-. That's going to shake things up.

Last edited by Clavius; 08-28-2013 at 12:49 AM.
08-28-2013, 01:08 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
So to what can we attribute the super-IQ of the sample images?
A talented photographer that use light in his favour.
08-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #26
Veteran Member

A talented photographer that use light in his favour.
So the sample images of most other cameras are taken by untalented trainee's or just random marketing people? LOL!
08-28-2013, 01:29 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
So the sample images of most other cameras are taken by untalented trainee's or just random marketing people? LOL!
Sadly, this is usually the case, probably because they just want to be first to post images, caring very little of what the images show.
08-28-2013, 02:06 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Sadly, this is usually the case, probably because they just want to be first to post images, caring very little of what the images show.
Can somebody please discontinue the improbability drive and restore normality? (Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.)

Are you seriously claiming that most other camera manufacturers chose to promote their products with mediocre images produced by unskilled photographers? And that only Sony now had the novel idea to use a skilled photographer to promote the A3000? Really?!

Promoting your camera with mediocre images produced by an unskilled photographer is like having a seriously obese man promote your gym. Its insanely improbable that Sony is the only camera manufacturer to use a skilled photographer for product promotion.

So, if the high IQ cannot be attributed to the 20mp sensor. (Like the people in this thread claim.) And not to a skilled photographer, as it is very likely that most manufacturers are smart enough to chose a skilled photographer for their promotional material. Then to what else can we attribute the high IQ?

Mind you, I see the same IQ increase when using my K-5 and NEX7 with the same lens. So personally I think it's just he extra MP's that we're seeing.

Last edited by Clavius; 08-28-2013 at 02:27 AM.
08-28-2013, 02:27 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Then please show me sample images from FI Pentax K-50/K-500 used with a $1000 lens in perfect lighting conditions to make best possible images.
An overwhelming amount of sample images will be using kit lens, and be random snapshots by some uninspired person doing a quick preview of the camera.

The problem is, most manufactures are not using this opportunity to promote their products.
08-28-2013, 02:38 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I'd begin by saying that I think these samples look very good indeed.
I'd then follow by saying that it's unlikely that we'd be able to assess A3000's sensor performance from these given that none of them provide us with anything to measure it with.

Having said that, I'm confident that Sony's new 20mp sensor is a winner given that it's likely the same sensor used in the upcoming K-3 which will prove to have better IQ across the board over the K-5.

Oh and fantastic lens btw.

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Although JPEG pictures only (with NR), new Sony 20MP sensor looks great.

19 picture`s A3000 & ZEISS16-70 F4 - Dyxum forums - Page 1