Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samsung Galaxy NX camera hitting the U.S.

"The Galaxy NX also has access to Android's full suite of Google apps, including Chrome, Gmail and the Google Play Store"

Samsung Galaxy NX camera hitting the U.S. in October with Android 4.2, starting price of $1,599.99 | PhoneDog

WOW, now I might be able to play some games (?), or read my e-mails, while waiting for that elusive bird to appear or waiting for the setting sun to be in just the correct position for the shot..., I wonder why they don't add a phone..., and all that for only $1599.99, a must have!.

08-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tweener?

Hello Christo, thanks for posting this.
I guess Samsung figures there's a market for an all-in-one photo device that appeals to non-photographers, particularly those who have short attention spans.
The price point is around that of the best APS-C DSLR bodies, only slightly less expensive than the 'Starter" FF bodies from Canon and Nikon (Nikon D600-$2,000 and Canon 6D, $2,100) but the NX is neither. If the three generic kit zooms shown are the extent of the lens selection, even prosumers will give it a wide berth.
Since Samsung also sells some fast primes, I'd assume there are more lenses in the pipeline. The top APS-C camera makers offer at least 20 lenses or more, many more in the case of Canon and Nikon. So, price notwithstanding, it's got a long ways to go before it appeals to advanced cropped-format users.
I see it as a hybrid, an expensive crop format camera with bells and whistles that might catch the eye of well-heeled photo wannabe's. But users who need a full system for their photography will either stick to makers that provide that system, or spend $500 more and start a FF system from the big two.
But, I've been wrong before!
Ron