Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sony rumor

(SR5) Breakthrough on rumor front! Plenty of new Sony E-mount cameras to come soon (And more E and A mount info) | sonyalpharumors

Apparently Sony has developed a camera that will autofocus all current and old Canon, Nikon and Pentax lenses. (Or just any lens that has a longer registry distance.) It does this by shifting the sensor to and/or from the lens.

I was told here on PF, that this would be impossible.

Sony's on a roll...

08-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I was just thinking of something like that this morning! Great idea if true!
08-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Do they come with EVFs!?
08-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That focal plane movement was a feature of the last Contax 35mm SLR, if I remember correctly.

09-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Years ago when Nikon was looking for an answer to the Minolta Maxxum film camera, a Nikon tech rep told me they had looked into and built prototypes that moved the focal plane/film to focus. Seems it would be even easier with digital. Could also build in a tilt/shift function. Pentax has already done the shift. Might be hard to keep the sensor aligned for normal shooting.
thanks
barondla
09-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Do they come with EVFs!?
Sure they will be a piece of modern technology, not that bulky crap as any (D)SLR is.
09-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Incredible. This would be such an amazing development. Canon FD, Minolta MD, Leica R, Samyang and more, all with Autofocus! I guess it will work similarly to the Pentax 1.7x TC. I wonder what the limitations will be, or how quick the focus will be. I also wonder if it will work with RF glass(M mount has about 1CM wiggle room).

09-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Holy crap..... Now THAT'S really some awesome news!

Seen the video of how the AF mechanism is working and i'm in awe.... Nice... Now let's hope it'll be FF though.. ;P

But i don't think it would be fast enough for sports but who knows?And i don't care, for one...
09-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Holy crap..... Now THAT'S really some awesome news!

Seen the video of how the AF mechanism is working and i'm in awe.... Nice... Now let's hope it'll be FF though.. ;P

But i don't think it would be fast enough for sports but who knows?And i don't care, for one...
It should at the very least be faster then screwdrive AF. Remember it's using the IBIS; it doesn't have to turn anything to slowly shift a part of the lens. It just shifts the sensor back and forth.

This is truly another missed oppertunity for Pentax. With Pentax SR and their backwards compatibility, this would have been a very logical step for them to take. With inbody SR and inbody AF. Giving all the beloved Pentax legacy glass autofocus and shake reduction.
09-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I was told here on PF, that this would be impossible.
Are you sure, or was you told that this will be way to complex and have too many drawback to really be of practical use for most users?

On AF lenses from Canon and on many AF lenses from other brands too the camera need to communicate with the lens to set aperture, If they got this to work, why don't they simply use the motor in the lens for AF? To me this sound like a way to complex solution that only will give a small advantage.

And with focus peaking it's very easy to set focus on manual focus lenses already. Just like on Pentax 1.7 AF TC, the focus will probably has to be pre-set close to the distance you want to AF to work on. By using sensor-focus the camera body need to be as big as a DSLR. It might also be difficult to combine sensor-stabilization with sensor-focus.

This will probably have too many drawback to be a real alternative to ordinary AF, but might be fun for those that want to play with old vintage lenses. It will be interesting to see how Sony has solved this, but I suspect it will not be the "holy grail" many might first believe.
09-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

According to SAR, this rumor has been outed as fake.

Jason
09-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
According to SAR, this rumor has been outed as fake.

Jason
I see them list the A7000 and 85mm images as fake, but I don't see them showing this technology as a fake. The article still says SR5. If Sony doesn't make it, I hope someone does. Sigma should make this camera with a full frame Foveon sensor, if they can only get the kinks out.
09-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fake or not, it's still an interesting idea. Here's an article on the Contax AX, for those who didn't know about it.