Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 01:59 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Oh no, we are talking about 24mm lens for APS-C. Even 2.8.
Pentax doesn't care about those obvious focal lengths and that shows.
But used to Pentax's and Ricoh's complacency, I'm so surprised, should I say, really positively surprised that Fuji does try, and the lens is available. It's not dragging around some roadmap for half a decade.
Today this old Pentaxian just want to hide.
This thread has gotten me so interested in that Fuji system right now. Even if Pentax surprises us all with a stunning flagship DSLR. (Crop or FF.) Then still I don't see how they're going to be more interesting then the current competitors offers such as these. Moreover, we can be 100% sure that competitors like - same example - Fuji have more up their sleeve for the near future. That can't be said about Pentax. I'm just reluctant to add ANOTHER system again.

Last edited by Clavius; 09-05-2013 at 02:15 AM.
09-05-2013, 02:25 AM   #32
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
This thread has gotten me so interested in that Fuji system right now. Even if Pentax surprises us all with a stunning flagship DSLR. (Crop or FF.) Then still I don't see how they're going to be more interesting then the current competitors offers such as these. Moreover, we can be 100% sure that competitors like - same example - Fuji have more up their sleeve for the near future. That can't be said about Pentax. I'm just reluctant to add ANOTHER system again.
Fuji has created a brand new system and they are committed. They have only one way to go, and that is forward. They'll face their own difficulties too.
Because the system is new, they must innovate, create lenses we didn't see before. This 24mm is just a dream lens for APS-C (judging by specs for now) and this is something I was waiting for Pentax to do, many years already.
In fact, this is Fuji's second lens for that focal length; first one was in X100. A superb lens.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-05-2013 at 02:53 AM.
09-05-2013, 02:42 AM   #33

I think I'd rather wait for images to come out first. And I'm not sold on the bodies in the fuji range. I don't think the pro1 is worth that much money, and the xe1 has a terrible lcd screen for its price point. These lenses aren't exactly cheap either. The xm1 seems interesting, but I don't think the ergonomics of the range favour dumping a dslr system. A nice pancake with the xm1 and k mount adaptor though..
09-05-2013, 03:21 AM   #34
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bibz Quote
I think I'd rather wait for images to come out first. And I'm not sold on the bodies in the fuji range. I don't think the pro1 is worth that much money, and the xe1 has a terrible lcd screen for its price point. These lenses aren't exactly cheap either. The xm1 seems interesting, but I don't think the ergonomics of the range favour dumping a dslr system. A nice pancake with the xm1 and k mount adaptor though..
Lens in X100 was great, but camera operation was .. Uh.
Even Pentax Q is far better and easier to use than any current Fuji's camera.
If Pentax made the X100 instead, oh my God, that would be a dream!

09-05-2013, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It has an aperture ring too
As appealing as that may be, remember that all of these Fuju X lenses focus by wire - which is nothing compared to a well oiled helicoid focus mechanism found on the K 50mm f/1.2.
09-05-2013, 03:51 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
As appealing as that may be, remember that all of these Fuju X lenses focus by wire - which is nothing compared to a well oiled helicoid focus mechanism found on the K 50mm f/1.2.
Ricoh currently doesn't sell any 50mm/1.2 lenses at all.
09-05-2013, 04:01 AM   #37
Banned

Original Poster
I suspect that may be the future that awaits us even with Ricoh, if they decide to make a large sensor mirrorless system

09-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Update: 23/1.4 weights 300g
09-05-2013, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #39

Lens in X100 was great, but camera operation was .. Uh.
Even Pentax Q is far better and easier to use than any current Fuji's camera.
If Pentax made the X100 instead, oh my God, that would be a dream!
A Spotmatic style apsc all in wonder camera by Pentax would be a dream!
09-05-2013, 04:44 AM   #40
Banned

Original Poster
I agree with you. If given more than one form factor, one we are fed with now, new and imaginative K mount cameras would reinvigorate interest for Pentax lenses and heritage. But people are stifled by the same look, that is replicated across the entire DSLR industry, and therefore think DSLRs are boring. Not true!
I have renewed my interest in SLRs and K mount by going back to film, and purchasing an ME Super SE — only way I can enjoy a different, and more elegant SLR form factor.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-05-2013 at 04:50 AM.
09-05-2013, 04:54 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Whilst I'm not allergic to retro, if done right it can be really cool. Just look at Fuji and Leica. Although even those could do with more functional/ergonomic designs. But the spotmatic design is just plain much to ugly to revive.
09-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #42
Banned

Original Poster
Whilst I'm not allergic to retro, if done right it can be really cool. Just look at Fuji and Leica. Although even those could do with more functional/ergonomic designs. But the spotmatic design is just plain much to ugly to revive.
MX, ME, are the ones that I think would work best. Also, LX is too big, IMHO, chunkier, not as compact as MX, ME, ME Super, and was heavier too.
Spotmatic, and K1000, would be a horrible solution — see Spotmatic compared to MX:

Then K1000 compared to ME:

I vote for MX or ME (Super), albeit I like pentaprism shape of the ME (Super) much better.

Here's MX next to Leica M6:

Last edited by Uluru; 09-05-2013 at 05:48 AM.
09-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #43
Pentaxian

And there is little to no reason to manually focus these auto focus lenses. If you want to manually focus put a M42-XF screw mount adapter on and shoot Super Taks, for example.
09-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh currently doesn't sell any 50mm/1.2 lenses at all.
No, they don't but if they are determined to give pentax more recognition making such a lens will certainly be of benefit. Especially if it continues the low PF habits of the K/A series 50mm f/1.2 lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
there is little to no reason to manually focus these auto focus lenses. If you want to manually focus put a M42-XF screw mount adapter on and shoot Super Taks, for example
Then you lose all lens-body communication and therefore you don't have any EXIF or ability to apply lens corrections in post.
09-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Then you lose all lens-body communication and therefore you don't have any EXIF or ability to apply lens corrections in post.
Hardly a show stopper and you can always manually correct good enough in, say, LR (or profile it for LR if you're a tech-no-geek about it). You get EXIF meta data for lens you manually set, shutter speed and a few other things. Shots from such a camera and manual lens combos are not generally technical. This is a consumer camera with a vast majority of its images ending up on web display and walls of user's homes.