Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We are still in the beginning of the digital photography era and people are scared, obsessed, prejudiced, manipulated, influenced, etc. So they can't observe things in peace, form an educated opinion without interruption and 'sage advices' from 'pixel-peeping gurus', 'tech pundits', lobbyists, babblemouths, etc.
I think m4/3 has its place in the world, and I wish Olympus and Panasonic all the luck with it.

09-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
Banned

Olympus-Sony partnership more advanced than we could think of. New sensor tech coming

QuoteQuote:
I got many new rumors about the Olympus-Sony partnership. Apparently the partnership on the camera front is much more tight than you could think by reading the official press releases. In short:

1) All the best tech from Olympus like the 5 axis stabilization, JPEG engine, lens knowledge are already being implemented in the soon to be announced Sony A and E-mount cameras. We will see them in use on Sony cameras by end 2013 already!

2) Olympus will receive some literally “Amazing” sensors from Sony. 2014 sensor will be improved tech based on today’s sensor tech (with on sensor PDAF for example). From 2015 on completely new kind of sensors will be used that will be more advanced than the sensor tech show recently by the Panasonic-Fuji duo. More about that in a future 43rumors post.

This comes from highly trusted sources. And if all works fine I could give you soem details about the 2015 sensors soon. Stay tuned!
(FT5) Olympus-Sony partnership more advanced than we could think of. New sensor tech in 2015. | 43 Rumors
09-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But is it advanced enough that Olympus will produce an E-mount FF body?
09-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
But is it advanced enough that Olympus will produce an E-mount FF body?
I think this means Sony is really serious about the mirrorless FF strategy, and Olympus will lend a hand and perhaps lead the designing and making of future FF mirrorless cameras and optics for Sony. In the meantime, Sony can focus more on sensor tech, which is a blooming business for them btw. Thus Sony doesn't need to think or worry about good camera design anymore, Olympus doesn't need to worry about available good sensors anymore.

09-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I think this means Sony is really serious about the mirrorless FF strategy, and Olympus will lend a hand and perhaps lead the designing and making of future FF mirrorless cameras and optics for Sony. In the meantime, Sony can focus more on sensor tech, which is a blooming business for them btw. Thus Sony doesn't need to think or worry about good camera design anymore, Olympus doesn't need to worry about available good sensors anymore.
I would much rather have an Olympus FF E-mount than a Sony. Olympus just makes better cameras.
09-12-2013, 04:44 AM   #21
Banned

My guess is Olympus will stick with MFT mirrorless only and Sony will have both full frame and APS-C mirrorless.
First picture of the Olympus E-7 Four Thirds camera! | 43 Rumors

(SR5) First short NEX-FF system hands-on report (We need lenses)! | sonyalpharumors
09-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
My guess is Olympus will stick with MFT mirrorless only and Sony will have both full frame and APS-C mirrorless.
First picture of the Olympus E-7 Four Thirds camera! | 43 Rumors

(SR5) First short NEX-FF system hands-on report (We need lenses)! | sonyalpharumors
I don't like the ergonomics of the NEX line. I am more interested in the FF Alpha mount without the SLT. The Sony A99 fits my hands much better than the K-5 (which is too small without the grip).

I'm just hopeful that Olympus will expand their offering to a larger sensor. I used an E-3 with SHG glass for a couple of years, and it was a great camera. I would love to see a 4/3 format sensor with a much larger surface area.

Last edited by Winder; 09-12-2013 at 06:04 AM.
09-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

My impression was that Olympus was providing 5-Axis stabilization and some lens technology in exchange for Sony sensor technology. Hopefully this will mean future Oly cameras with even better sensor performance, keeping them ahead of the smaller sensor cams and smartphones nipping at their heels.
09-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #24
Banned

I don't like the ergonomics of the NEX line. I am more interested in the FF Alpha mount without the SLT. The Sony A99 fits my hands much better than the K-5 (which is too small without the grip).

I'm just hopeful that Olympus will expand their offering to a larger sensor. I used an E-3 with SHG glass for a couple of years, and it was a great camera. I would love to see a 4/3 format sensor with a much larger surface area.
Sony is coming out with a full frame DSLR style camera soon.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/236778...ml#post2508356
09-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
My impression was that Olympus was providing 5-Axis stabilization and some lens technology in exchange for Sony sensor technology. Hopefully this will mean future Oly cameras with even better sensor performance, keeping them ahead of the smaller sensor cams and smartphones nipping at their heels.
Sony has not been able to make lenses fast enough for the E-mount system and CZ has not been able to design enough lenses to grow it fast enough. Olympus will be designing glass for Sony and possibly manufacturing it. We might see Olympus designed E-mount and A-mount lenses in the near future. I would love to see an Olympus made A-mount FF body.
09-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #26
Banned

Sony has not been able to make lenses fast enough for the E-mount system and CZ has not been able to design enough lenses to grow it fast enough. Olympus will be designing glass for Sony and possibly manufacturing it. We might see Olympus designed E-mount and A-mount lenses in the near future. I would love to see an Olympus made A-mount FF body.
The E mount works great with Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Pentax and almost any other SLR/DSLR lens but the A mount only works well with Minolta A mount lenses since it's not a mirrorless mount. That is why pro 4K video cameras from Sony like the NEX-FS700 use an E mount and not an A mount.

QuoteQuote:
Sony continued its drive towards 4K production at IBC this year with the announcement of a 4K version of its NEX-FS700 camcorder as well as unveiling its new 4K projector.

The NEX-FS700 will come in two versions, the NEX-FS700 RH and the NEX-FS700R.

Both models feature Sony’s E-mount lens system and a 4K Exmor Super35 CMOS sensor and now come with Version 3.0 firmware pre-installed, enabling 4K/2K RAW recording on an external compatible recorder.
Televisual | NEWS & COMMENTS

QuoteQuote:
Zeiss has released a new cine zoom lens, the CZ.2 15-30/T2.9, which complements the existing CZ.2 70-200mm T2.9 and CZ.2 28-80mm T2.9 lenses.

As with other Zeiss CZ.2 lenses, the new 15-30mm T2.9 has an interchangeable mount system for compatibility with PL, EF, F, MFT and E mounts. The lens is compatible with full frame (e.g., 5D Mark III) and APS-C (e.g., EOS C300) cameras.
Zeiss 15-30mm T2.9 Compact Zoom Cine Lens Unveiled
09-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
CZ hasn't made any faster glass for the e-mount. Samsung has made some really small glass, but their only fast glass, the 85mm, is just as big as you'd expect. Olympus doesn't make any really fast glass for m4/3 either. You have to look to Panasonic and Voigtlander(or any of the manual M-mount prime makers). I think mirrorless camera makers do have some limits, based on size, they want to keep the primes portable. 1.8 is good enough for me though, bring on the Oly e-mount lenses.

Edit: misread your meaning of the word fast, in this case. I agree, I'm looking forward to more e-mount manufacturers.
09-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
The Olympus camera division hasn't turned a profit since 2006. One estimate had them losing $190 billion last year. .
I'd like to see a source for that, I think you might find it was $190million, not billion...
09-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I'd like to see a source for that, I think you might find it was $190million, not billion...
Probably referring to yen, but that still seems high.
09-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
You're right, it's $190 million. Not sure how that "b" got in there.