Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-15-2013, 05:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D7100 Question

My friend shoots a D7100 - he shoots jpg exclusively. I have been trying to expound the merits of saving the occasional RAW file - particularly when night shooting under Sodium lamps or mixed lighting. I showed him how Pentax let's us save the last file in the buffer as Raw when shooting jpg. Does Nikon have a similar feature and how does one access it?

Thanks!

(PS I told him to "RTFM" but quickly searching the pdf I could not find that info.)

09-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
Forum Member

AFAIK noone else has that feature but Pentax (saving last RAW file).
09-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I just buy lots of SD cards and put them in two folders when importing. Delete raw after making sure that all jpegs are good enough

K-5 and above generation cameras jpegs are so amazing, no need to use RAW for alot of my shoots
09-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Andi, if you really want to test the W/B - do some street night shooting under Sodium Halide. The ruddy orange light is impossible to PP from a jpg. RAW files are more flexible. My friend balks at raw and shoots jpg exclusively. I was hoping to help him find an easy way to capture selective raw files like the gentle Pentaxian can. no such luck for him.

09-20-2013, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

The D7100 has a dual card slot. You can set it to put RAW on one card and JPG on the other. No need to worry about only the last shot being convertible to RAW. And if you don't use any RAW files, just reformat that card before you go out shooting the next time.

Note, if your friend cannot see the value in having a couple stops more of light in a RAW file than a OOC JPG, don't bother trying to persuade him. He is a lost cause.

Last edited by tuco; 09-20-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling, again
09-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Andi, if you really want to test the W/B - do some street night shooting under Sodium Halide. The ruddy orange light is impossible to PP from a jpg. RAW files are more flexible. My friend balks at raw and shoots jpg exclusively. I was hoping to help him find an easy way to capture selective raw files like the gentle Pentaxian can. no such luck for him.

Yes indeed for some shots the JPEG can be a lost cause like you said, no matter how good AWB is. That's why I delete my raw only after making sure that my jpegs are satisfactory. Tell him that with the dual slot and the size / $ of SD card these days he has no reason not to shoot RAW + JPEG. I shoot RAW + JPEG on both cards for backup, or just use one card.

I find that when you shoot raw on one and jpeg on the other, there's no way to easily delete both RAW and JPEG at the same time on both cards, only on one card.

Nice shot of your little friend there

Last edited by Andi Lo; 09-20-2013 at 07:33 PM.
09-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Nice shot of your little friend there
Oh, thanks, I was very pleased with the result - The stranger who owns/is owned by Sally was very accomodating