Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Which small ILCs have focus peaking?

Despite my initial discomfort with focus peaking, I have to say that it is a great tool to have for manual focus lenses. I can't imagine trying to focus in Live View mode without. My only regret in Pentax's implementation is that I cannot get an audible beep when my focus point of choice is in focus according to the contrast detection scheme.

Anyways, as I save up for a Q7 and wait for the price to come down, I wanted to find out what other small ILCs have focus peaking. It seems like this feature is somewhat rare. For example, it seems like Nikon's 1 camera does not.

Thanks!

09-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #2

My NEX-5R has excellent peaking that has 3 color choice: red, yellow, and white. Combined with touch screen zooming-in, manual focus is a breeze.
The camera itself is small, but the kit lens isn't. I'm using it with 2 Sigma primes that are quite small. Micro 4/3rd's that have peaking are too expensive IMO.
09-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

My Sony 5N has it and is one of the reasons why I have fallen in love with it. Coupled with the EVF and a manual lens of any choosing, the focus peaking makes shooting interesting again. Regarding the beep mentioned in the first post, I'd prefer no beeping at all when using the focus peaking since it would be beeping constantly since something within the frame would always be in focus while others out of focus. Using the peaking, I can choose the exact selection which I want to be sharpest and go from there, especially when using larger apertures. Once you are at 5.6 or higher, the peaking pretty much acts as just confirmation of the scene being completely in focus. Anyway, I love this feature and love being able to shoot with a bunch of older aperture ring-style lenses.

Jason
09-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #4

Pentax K01, Fujifilm X-E1, X-M1, X100s, Sony A77 (kinda mirrorless)

Ive used focus peaking on the K01 and A77 and to me its a must have feature. I have a fuji X-e1 with pentax K mount lens adapter on the way to me now, it gains focus peaking with firmware update, suppose to have an awesome sensor.

09-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
HSV
Veteran Member

I guess a lot of manufacturers are reluctant to put peaking...you'll be using more legacy lenses and less from their own lens line, seems not productive commercially. On the other side, a lot of manufacturers have built up their brand by being legacy lens friendly.

I think that for legacy lenses having peaking is important (for new folks, who don't have much MF technique), as well as exposure preview, and an easy way to change settings. Also, having a short flange distance allows more lens mounting possibilities. For these reasons, I discarded the possibility of buying something like the Alpha line or the K-01.

I guess the smallest you can get is from the Q line, but it will convert all of your typical lenses in telephoto (which is good, if that's your cup of tea).

As of right now, I think the best compromise of features is with the NEX line. I had a F3 and sold it, the only thing bugging me was the lack of hotshoe and EVF. Now I have the NEX 6, and so far I haven't had any complaints (although I wish it had the built quality of a K-5 and the Pentax IQ).

The other ones to consider are the Fuji X's. At the time of my purchase, they didn't have peaking...and the price of the kit was a bit too high for my budget.
09-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Banned

My NEX-3N has focus peaking and it's the smallest NEX camera with the smallest zoom lens.

09-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
I guess a lot of manufacturers are reluctant to put peaking...you'll be using more legacy lenses and less from their own lens line, seems not productive commercially. On the other side, a lot of manufacturers have built up their brand by being legacy lens friendly.
Good point!! I often forget that camera companies make the majority of their money on lenses and accessories. The last thing they want is for you to go out and buy M42 lenses. They want you to be tied to their system. Universal lenses or adapted lenses go against that. I suppose that's why it's hard to buy a Sony NEX in a body only configuration.

09-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I suppose that's why it's hard to buy a Sony NEX in a body only configuration.
Well it's not that hard if you go with 5, 6, or 7. On my 5R the kit lens can focus very fast, silent, works great with continuous focus feature, and of course can zoom, so it's really great for video. It's a better deal to go with the kit.
09-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe the Panasonic GX7 supports focus peaking, as do the Olympus E-P5 and OM-D E-M1...
09-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My X20 has focus peaking, although until I saw this thread I had never used it. Tried it out in MF and it works great, but I hardly see the need, since the X20 focuses fast ad accurate without it. I took a few dozen test shots with and without and didn't gain anything over normal AF. The Macro settings on the X20 are superb, much better than they were on my X10.

Regards!
09-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Good point!! I often forget that camera companies make the majority of their money on lenses and accessories. The last thing they want is for you to go out and buy M42 lenses. They want you to be tied to their system. Universal lenses or adapted lenses go against that. I suppose that's why it's hard to buy a Sony NEX in a body only configuration.
Adorama had the Sony NEX-3N for $329 last month with the 16-50mm PZ OSS kit lens that sell for $348 alone.
Deal of the month: NEX-3N for free! You pay for kit lens only :) | sonyalpharumors

It makes sense to get the kit lens when you want a compact power zoom lens for 1080p video and OSS IS and use all of your Canon,Nikon, Pentax, Minolta etc lenses with low cost adapters.
Sony NEX-3N w/ 16-50mm Lens Kit for $389 – Deal Alert

BTW I paid $180 for my new Sony NEX-3N body only on ebay .