Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please help with screen blacking out on Nikon D3

"Go full frame." they said. "You'll like it." they said.
I HATE "they". I spent ages reassuring myself that Pentax was for me. My system was perfectly professional, the new K-3 would be even better... it's smaller... on and on I went with advantage after advantage. But eventually "they" and a bunch of other factors, convinced me on a D3 and some Tamron lenses. Now look, there are some parts of it that are amazing. But if you are reading this and are considering doing it: DON'T.
For every part of a Nikon FF system that's 30% better, there's a part that's 80% worse. e.g. the menu systems and general setting manipulation. It's DISGUSTING and no it's not just "Which one you are used to" - you will notice that the ONLY people who say that are people who haven't used a Pentax. Seriously, I challenge someone to use a Pentax for 2 months and a Nikon for 1 year and then say that it's a matter of preference. It isn't, Nikons are HORRIBLY laid out. I want to use a word that means "Held back mentally" but people may take offense, however it's the only word that carries the weight referring to unintelligence that the Nikon system needs to describe it.
ANYWAY - if all that wasn't bad enough - now, the screen is blacking out when I want to... do, well, anything really. Sometimes it will play an image, or show the "menu" (stupidness smorgasbord as I call it) but quite often it will just show a luminous black screen. The card has finished writing, everything is fine for it to play the photo back but it won't. I've tried different memory cards. Turning it off and on again MAY fix it but often doesn't. I even removed the battery for an entire day and that fixed it for about two days but then it went back to doing it.
Now, the person who sold it to me has agreed to pay for a repair or give me a refund if necessary, but that's not the issue. The issue is I have a wedding THIS SATURDAY and have only my Pentax and two prime lenses as back up. I'd really prefer to use the D3, and am trying to arrange borrowing a D700 from a friend, but it may not be possible.
If anyone has any bright ideas of things I could try - please do post them here, your help is appreciated, thanks.

10-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Can you arrange a hire Nikon for this Saturday?

Prices are about $135/day for a D800 at a place like CameraHire, cheaper for D700.

Or just Google camera rental Sydney
10-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
Forum Member

I do not know why you are so angry, I also do not know why the D3 and K3 are a valid comparison (they both have 3's in the name?) Didn't the D3 come out after the K10D, before the K20D? If your only possible choices for buying a camera are a 6 year old canon/nikon or a brand new pentax, by all means choose the latter! Technology tends to improve with time, or so Moore says...

I went from pentax to nikon, after using pentax for a few years, without any difficulty with the interface, i preferred the non-locking mode dial and the two user-modes on the nikon interface wise, there were some minor things I preferred on pentax but nothing dealbreaking. Overwhelmingly, my positive impressions were not regarding the interface but the autofocus.

Maybe I am just unique because I like all the camera brands and can pick up a nikon, canon, pentax or even sony, and do just fine, I'm even the technology oriented type that wants to know what everything does. Maybe try to spend less time in obscure menus and focus on the essentials, there aren't that many settings in a modern dslr that make an actual difference on the final image, especially if you shoot in raw.

Regarding your issue with your camera, it sounds like it is broken and in need of repairs. You said you tried different cards, that is a good start, maybe try a different battery too, though that seems unlikely to fix it. The logical thing is to send it in, rent another camera or buy the pentax that you desire so much.

I wish you luck and I'm sorry that you feel you were tricked into this purchase by some group of ff advocates, maybe others can learn from your difficulties.

Oh, also, there are some more active nikon forums that you can search for, might find better answers, or tips on using the interface if you continue down the nikon road.
10-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by azimuthal Quote
I do not know why you are so angry, I also do not know why the D3 and K3 are a valid comparison (they both have 3's in the name?) Didn't the D3 come out after the K10D, before the K20D? If your only possible choices for buying a camera are a 6 year old canon/nikon or a brand new pentax, by all means choose the latter! Technology tends to improve with time, or so Moore says...

I went from pentax to nikon, after using pentax for a few years, without any difficulty with the interface, i preferred the non-locking mode dial and the two user-modes on the nikon interface wise, there were some minor things I preferred on pentax but nothing dealbreaking. Overwhelmingly, my positive impressions were not regarding the interface but the autofocus.

Maybe I am just unique because I like all the camera brands and can pick up a nikon, canon, pentax or even sony, and do just fine, I'm even the technology oriented type that wants to know what everything does. Maybe try to spend less time in obscure menus and focus on the essentials, there aren't that many settings in a modern dslr that make an actual difference on the final image, especially if you shoot in raw.

Regarding your issue with your camera, it sounds like it is broken and in need of repairs. You said you tried different cards, that is a good start, maybe try a different battery too, though that seems unlikely to fix it. The logical thing is to send it in, rent another camera or buy the pentax that you desire so much.

I wish you luck and I'm sorry that you feel you were tricked into this purchase by some group of ff advocates, maybe others can learn from your difficulties.

Oh, also, there are some more active nikon forums that you can search for, might find better answers, or tips on using the interface if you continue down the nikon road.
You're WAY off in too many areas to even address.
I want to address them, because you are... yeah, seriously, way off... but anyway.

To the first response thanks for posting something useful.

10-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quazimoto Quote
You're WAY off in too many areas to even address.
I want to address them, because you are... yeah, seriously, way off... but anyway.

To the first response thanks for posting something useful.
I am sorry, won't be the first time I've said something dumb. I really appreciate you sharing your experience.
10-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you to both responders, thanks azimuthal for the humble response where most people would have attacked.

Anyway - the issue seems to be far less prominent if I set the camera to instant review. It still does it occasionally, but somehow it seems to be far less often if the screen has something to play as soon as the photo is taken (it also means the "play" button seems to show an image much more often, even though instant-review and general playback aren't related).
I won't be renting a camera because I'm doing this wedding at bargain basement prices and the couple have stretched my budget as thin as it goes. If it goes really badly with the camera then I'll just switch to my Pentax even though my lens line up is thin.