Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
In a possibly vain attempt to curb myself from preordering the A7r I am going to list the negatives I can think of:

1. No pink Hello Kitty option. Not even a gold option to match my iPhone 5s.
2. the cont AF is slow - probably not usable
3. The microlenses are tuned to the E mount registration distance - probably issues with non-native lenses. There's report of colour shifting and vignetting on a Zeiss 21mm M mount Biogon.
4. Relatively short battery life.
5. A9 is coming next year - maybe
6. Means I have to upgrade to Lightroom 5 - that will kill me for sure ...

OK I am running out. Anything you can think of? A lot of people are criticising the look. I think it looks okay.
Just get the pre-order over with already!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I fear that if Ricoh doesn't make an announcement re' a K-3F within weeks they will be too late to the party to satisfy existing owners of legacy glass. That may well not matter to them as I would expect them to want to sell as many new lenses as possible. There is still the need for an answer re' the affect of the microlenses when using legacy glass with the A7 series as well.
Attached Images

10-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
FPS is low..
Both the 36MP Sony A7r and 36MP Nikon D800E shoot at a maximum 4FPS.
10-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I'm not sure what people expect. 36MP 14-bit RAW files are huge. This isn't a spray and pray camera.

10-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
And the A7 has a better framerate of 5FPS. That's good enough for anyone as long as the buffer is big enough, IMO.

Are legacy Pentax lenses really good enough for the A7r? I'm a bit skeptical. It may be worth trying to compare both cameras side-by-side.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I'm not sure what people expect. 36MP 14-bit RAW files are huge. This isn't a spray and pray camera.
Absolutely right!

Adam

10-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
This isn't a spray and pray camera.
Challenge accepted.

10-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #23
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I fear that if Ricoh doesn't make an announcement re' a K-3F within weeks they will be too late to the party to satisfy existing owners of legacy glass. That may well not matter to them as I would expect them to want to sell as many new lenses as possible. There is still the need for an answer re' the affect of the microlenses when using legacy glass with the A7 series as well.
Don't the comparison images just about say it all. How much is the A7r like the K-01 which also has FF coverage? Was the K-01 a test bed for FF? Maybe it will come out with Ricoh on the front instead of Pentax.

Pentax for APS-C, Ricoh for FF? (I know I shouldn't have said that!)
10-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hate the A7 because its EV adjustment dial reminds me painfully at good old film camera days where camera operation was joyful.
10-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
So if I took an image a day, that's over a years worth of battery?

Your post is invalid conjecture - it entirely depends on your requirements as a photographer. If you're on holiday and took 30 pictures a day, that's still over 10 days off a single charge. The battery on my EOS 7D lasts about twice as long as the NEX-7, but that's still a large number of photographs (not to mention the lack of EVF) and I never think "oh jeez, the NEX-7 battery is rubbish".

Lets get real, the battery life is perfectly fine unless you're rifling off 200+ images a day. Any self respecting photographer that does that will always carry a spare battery anyway. It is grossly unfair to tout it as "abysmal" because that's just not true.
When I go on vacation for a week, I take an average of 2000 photos. That's me. Now, I don't use flash at all, but I do use a viewfinder and two batteries on my K5 will last me the duration.
10-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
When I go on vacation for a week, I take an average of 2000 photos. That's me. Now, I don't use flash at all, but I do use a viewfinder and two batteries on my K5 will last me the duration.
Do you go on a weeks vacation to places that don't have electricity? 2000 photos a week is less than 300 per day so unless you don't sleep all week you could charge it over night while you sleep..... Like a cell phone.

You take 2 batteries for your K-5. Why is having multiple batteries for the A7 such a big deal.

It seems you are inventing reasons to not like the Sony A7.
10-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #27
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No In body SR

Maybe I missed it in all your posts--but I don't believe it has in body SR--if it did I think it would really be IT!
10-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
It is grossly unfair to tout it as "abysmal" because that's just not true.
They are the CIPA numbers. No one is making things up.

It's an inconvenience, not a disaster, to be sure, just like short battery life in a mobile phone. And probably, if I had a mobile phone that had a battery that lasted less than a day, I should also carry several batteries with me, like 'any self respecting mobile phone user' would. LOL.

Sony could probably have done battery life better in the A7, as one would expect from a flagship.
10-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

It's an inconvenience, not a disaster to be sure, just like short battery life in a mobile phone. And probably, if I had a mobile phone that had a battery that lasted less than a day, I should also carry several batteries with me, like 'any self respecting mobile phone user' would. LOL.

Sony could probably have done battery life better in the A7, as one would expect from a flagship.
Let's put this into prospective. We're talking about 24.5GB of image files per day..... (assuming 36MP 14-bit uncompressed RAW files at 340 shots).

If you are a machine gun style photographer then this is not a camera for you. The battery will last all day if you are a deliberate, discerning photographer.
10-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #30
Forum Member

It's an inconvenience, not a disaster to be sure, just like short battery life in a mobile phone. And probably, if I had a mobile phone that had a battery that lasted less than a day, I should also carry several batteries with me, like 'any self respecting mobile phone user' would. LOL.
This is a really silly/meaningless comparison.
Carrying extra batteries for a digital camera is pretty standard.
I'm sure they could have done better, but I would rather have shorter battery life and smaller size. Personally, I think shorter battery life is an entirely tolerable shortcoming for this camera, others may consider it a deal breaker.