Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
Banned

New Nikon D5300 shoots 1080p @ 60FPS !

QuoteQuote:
The D5300 also offers a beefed-up video mode, which is now capable of true 1080/60p HD video. This, plus the slightly enlarged (3.2in compared to 3in) fully-articulated 1.04 million-dot LCD screen should mean that the D5300 is attractive to videographers as well as stills photographers. Easy to miss, but useful features include built-in Wi-Fi and GPS - both firsts for Nikon's DSLR lineup. Battery life gets a boost too - according to CIPA figures the D5300 offers an endurance of 600 shots, compared to 500 from the D5200. Remember though that this figure does not take features like Wi-Fi or GPS into account, and we'd expect both to have an impact on battery life.

We've only had a few hours with a pre-production sample D5300 (the black version, in case you were wondering), but in-use and on paper it's very appealing. The main feature we really wish it offered is a touchscreen LCD. We've come to appreciate being able to perform certain actions by touch on competitive cameras, particularly things like exposure compensation and AF point placement in live view mode. Oh well - maybe next year.

Nikon D5300 key features
•24.1MP DX format CMOS sensor, without OLPF
•EXPEED 4 processing
•ISO 100-6400 standard, up to 25600 expanded
•5 fps continuous shooting
•39 point AF system, 9 sensors cross type
•2016 pixel RGB metering sensor
•1080p60 video recording, built-in stereo mic
•1.04M dot 3.2" vari-angle LCD monitor
Nikon D5300 First-impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1010022-REG/nikon_1519_d5300_dslr_camera_black.html

10-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Built-in Wifi and GPS...
10-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
10-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon lens looks like spinner toy lens (seems like they all are like that). Also, from the picture, looks like the index finger is rubbing against the lens.

10-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's an interesting move to only offer the camera with the 18-140mm (no kit lens). Does look like nice incremental improvement, though. Can't wait for a Wi-Fi/GPS-enabled Pentax

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I suspect this is just a 720p resolution interpolated to 1080p. The reason being is that the d5300 is surely using the Milbeaut v6 or 7 image processor which is only capable of 60fps at 720p or 1080i.
10-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Built-in Wifi and GPS...
At first I was disappointed that Pentax didn't build WiFi into the K-3 body, but the more I think about it, the more I like the FLU card. If improvements are made to the technology I can swap out the FLU card for the better technology. With built-in technology you are pretty much stuck with what they give you.

I really don't care about GPS. I can see applications for it, but I shoot for prints, and GPS tags are irrelevant for what I do.

10-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A flu card with a wireless trigger would be interesting. Just dreaming.
10-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
At first I was disappointed that Pentax didn't build WiFi into the K-3 body, but the more I think about it, the more I like the FLU card. If improvements are made to the technology I can swap out the FLU card for the better technology. With built-in technology you are pretty much stuck with what they give you.

I really don't care about GPS. I can see applications for it, but I shoot for prints, and GPS tags are irrelevant for what I do.
I agree wholeheartedly on the first matter. Those who made smart-aleck comments about built-in WiFi being the way to go have a very short-term view of camera ownership.

The inclusion of a GPS would be very handy for touring, when you spend a month abroad visiting unfamiliar places, and don't get time (or energy) to download and tag all the photos you've taken during the day, every day. Given that the circuitry fits into just about every phone from a $30 Nokia to a $500 iPhone (and has done for some time), there's really no excuse for not including it in a modern DSLR. On the other hand, if you can tether wirelessly to your smartphone, having GPS data fed back the other way would be good, and, like the FLU card, would mean you don't have to build it in to the camera. Given that they still want to sell the OGPS-1, I daresay we're not going to see this in a hurry, though.
10-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

From DC Watch Japan [Google translate], an interesting report that the Nikon D5300 has a fully plastic ('Carbon fiber composite material with a thermoplastic resin') body and chassis:

QuoteQuote:
The 17th, Teijin has announced carbon composite material of their own "Sereebo" (Seribo) has been adopted digital single-lens reflex camera Nikon "D5300".

It abolished the chassis of the body inside, D5300 is adopted monocoque structure to structure integral box-shaped cover configuration. Sereebo was adopted in this section monocoque structure. According to Teijin, Sereebo to have been actually used D5300 is the first time. The Nikon, you have to have been able to achieve both strength and reduction in size and weight.
Interesting. My NEX-F3 is also almost completely composite plastics inside and out too, including the chassis, I think. Sony did it for green purposes (recyclability) as well as lightness etc. Might be a trend.

I just hope these materials are stable at high temperatures (think car interior on a hot day), and durable in the long term.

It's a reminder I guess that most digital gadgets (cameras now, mobile phones notoriously, PC's) are ultimately all just disposable and good for only a few years use before being obsoleted and trashed.