Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting DSLR bundle- Superzoom +fast 50mm

I thought this was an interesting bundle, and not one I'd seen before at a big box store. I may not get out enough though. It's a Canon EOS 60D bundled with 18-200mm IS Lens, and the 50mm f/1.8 Lens:

Canon EOS 60D 18MP DSLR Camera with 18-200mm Lens Bundle

Typical DSLR purchasing steps:

1) Buy DSLR kit bundled with slow zoom lenses
2) Wonder why your pictures aren't awesome, especially low light indoor shots which suffer from motion blur (or use on board flash and still look like P&S).
3) Head to online forums where everyone tells you to buy a fast prime.
4) Buy inexpensive but sub f/2 50mm.
5) Now your indoor shots have no motion blur, but are all out of focus.

Your pictures still stink since you didn't realize that using a fast prime isn't a matter of point and shoot and it's hard to focus on your moving children/cat with such a shallow DoF, but still, this kit lets people skip a couple of steps. If they included a tripod, HDR software, and an external flash ready to collect dust, it would save even more steps. (I may be overly cynical)

Now the Pentax DA 50/1.8 isn't as cheap as the plastic Canon, but I can't say I've seen it in a similar bundle at a big box store? It's not a bad idea for people starting out in the DSLR world.

10-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I think you left out...
6. Realized 50mm is too long for indoors as well, so got something a bit wider, such as 35mm.
10-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

haha made me laugh..

I rather a noisy picture than an out of focus, motion blurred, without enough DoF picture anytime...
Itīs difficult to beat a 28/2.8 in price and performance for APS-C. The 21/3.2 must be even better but price gets in the way