Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-18-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Tempted to jump ship...... X-Pro 1...

Carrying on from my post in the Fuji X100/X10 pictures, where I sing the praises of my little X10.

I came to Pentax from a Canon EOS1 35mm and T90, and loved the feel of the body of the K-r and after learning a bit with digital I have been thinking about upgrading to something a bit more substantial, the weather sealing and lack of AA filter is a big draw to the K5IIs or even the new K3 now I have saved some wonga!

But after shooting with the X10 pretty much 75% of the time I have been thinking if I really need a DSLR.... Not quite developed a lens addiction..., and think something like the the K3 would be a waste on me, who mainly works around the streets and the odd bit of landscape, I'm after the extra IQ as I do some stuff for a magazine, and also want the higher build quality that comes with a higher level camera. (Quite a lot of things may be a waste on me...)

So have been thinking about switching to a CSC as I travel a fair bit, been looking at the Fuji X-Pro 1, which with the firmware updates seems to preform well AF wise which is the bit that worried me with Children, the lack of weather sealing and SR is also a concern, and also the Olympus OMD EM1 but am not a fan of OVF, but that has weather sealing etc...
I am slightly leaning to the Fuji because of the enjoyment the X10 give me, plus aperture ring .
The new EX-2 looks a nice bit of kit but I think I would rather have the OVF, so might hang on an see if the new year brings a X-Pro 2!

Would just like the opinion of people here, especially if you have used a K5IIs, X-Pro 1 or EM1, I'm in a muddle over it all.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by skankin_giant; 10-18-2013 at 05:02 AM.
10-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've troubled myself over the same thing a few times. For me it is a bit different however in that I never travel - all my shooting is done here at home on my own property.

I had a Fuji x10 and an X100 and seriously thought about moving to an X-Pro1 or X-E1. But at the end of the day I don't need more portability. Since I can't see/feel any of these cameras in person to decided, I have to rely on images and reviews. One thing to look at is the size of the X-Pro1 - to my eyes it really isn't much smaller than my K-5IIs. Plus the fact of the Fuji being a square brick compared to the nice grip on my Pentax, made me stick with what I have.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-17-2016 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Removed link to parked URL
10-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, didn't quite realise it was that large...
The X Trans sensor is a big selling point for me, Just love out of the box Jpegs, waiting to see the results of the K3!

Cheers, Steve
10-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
bvg
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fuji X-E2 is more compact and has 14bit engine. I am inclined to it.

http://www.fujirumors.com/first-look-fujifilm-x-e2/#more-17701

10-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote
The X Trans sensor is a big selling point for me, Just love out of the box Jpegs, waiting to see the results of the K3!

Cheers, Steve
I'm not trying to talk you out of it Steve - just that for myself I am in the mode to use what I have. To change systems is an expensive venture.

I agree I've always loved the Fuji OOC jpegs. But, if you are a jpeg shooter there are so many little tweaks you can do in the K-5 series cameras - it wouldn't take long to get that exact same look. I am a raw shooter so I've tweaked my software to give me the look I want.

After trying a couple smaller cameras the past year or so, I've finally come to the conclusion that I don't like anything less than an APS-C sensor. The smaller sensor cameras are fine for snaps (Fuji x10, Pentax Q) but for how I shoot I don't need a small camera anyway.

Lots to think about - just wanted you to realize that size difference of the X-Pro1 should not be the reason you might change.
10-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What about lenses? Fuji has some light, fast lenses with attracting focal lengths... So does pentax but not so fast in order to keep them small
10-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I like to look of the primes that fuji have produced, love that they still retain aperture control.
I bought the X10 initial for the wife as a family camera, but I have ended up taking it around with me, been great for taking pictures of the kids, can do better with this then I can't my Pentax.

And found the Mono very pleasant.

I did have a play with RAW on the Pentax, and will shoot anything serious in RAW, but tbh I didn't much enjoy the post processing, would much rather be in a darkroom, Photoshop and Aperture didn't really do it for me, and I wasn't much good at it! Here is a go with the K-r and my 10-17mm.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by skankin_giant; 10-18-2013 at 11:51 AM.
10-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Looking around....always looking around....there are so many great cameras out there at the moment it is very difficult to zero in on any particular one. They all just keep getting better and better.

It would have to come down to what you shoot the most. There is need of a few for FF, for others size is important, and still others have more specialized needs.
Each change in your basic system brings problems that would have to be weighed.

Being laid up with a broken foot, I've had plenty of time to look over all the new offerings lately. Some are impressive, but if you are a Pentax shooter with K-mount lenses, I haven't seen anything more impressive than the new K3. I'm not necessarily a "Fanboy", just saying what I think based on what I have seen so far.

BTW- I agree on your view of the Toy Camera X10, it is a fantastic little camera. I also love my X20, but do believe the IQ is better on my X10, at least to my eyes, if not in the "test results".

Best Regards!
10-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have also had a hankering for a Leica since I had a chance to use one while at College... the Fuji is as close as I can afford!

Cheers, Steve
10-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Being laid up with a broken foot, I've had plenty of time to look over all the new offerings lately. Some are impressive, but if you are a Pentax shooter with K-mount lenses, I haven't seen anything more impressive than the new K3. I'm not necessarily a "Fanboy", just saying what I think based on what I have seen so far.

BTW- I agree on your view of the Toy Camera X10, it is a fantastic little camera. I also love my X20, but do believe the IQ is better on my X10, at least to my eyes, if not in the "test results".

Best Regards!
Yes the K3 does look a awesome bit of kit! Apart from a handful of A and M lenses I have a 10-17mm which is one thing keeping me to Pentax, so not got much tying me down!

In the end thats what matters, how the pictures look to you! Can be as good it as it likes in tests but if you don't like the image what good it is!

I would recommend the X10 to anyone, cracking bit of kit, sometimes I think I should have shelled out for the X20 but after playing with the X10 I don't think I needed to spend the extra! been trying to convince my cousin's husband that he wants one....

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by skankin_giant; 10-18-2013 at 12:09 PM.
10-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd recommend against the XPro1.
Quirky OVF/EVF (you need to try one to know the idiosyncrasies or can do a google search on it)
Poor EVF resolution, bad AF and bad lag in EVF
Its also quite big, but empty feeling and to me at launch price, it did not match the build quality for the asking price.

The XE1 is the better one to go for.

That said, the X series is pretty close to a Pentax in terms of portability as the lenses are about the same sizes. (Pentax has some smaller ones in fact, but slower)
To me the strength of the system is the fast lenses at decent lens size.
Body size, a K30 is close in size and weight. The K5IIs/K3 will be close in size too but heavier of course.

At the end of the day, I looked at the lenses I already have that can get close to the same (and sometimes better).
Eg.
Single lens setup : K30; + DA35/2.4; FA35/2; DA40XS

The incentive was not high enough to get the X-series just for perhaps 1 stop faster lenses in most cases.
And that came with the camera's/system's own drawbacks (eg. lag; AF; build; no-WR)

My few cents.
10-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your input, I think I am going to wait and see what the reviews of the K3 come out like, and make my mind up then, I do love the results of the X Trans sensor and Fuji glass though.

Cheers, Steve
10-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

The new X-E2 Fuji does look very interesting for those wanting a change, for whatever reason. It has some worthy improvements and is a handsome body in a more compact size with most of the Fuji features that are highly desirable.

I hate to bring this up, it will show my own weakness for "fashionability", but for many the looks and feel of a camera has a great deal of influence on how much you use it and how much you love it. This is certainly the case with my X10/X20. If they were in a body like the K01 I would be much less likely to use them even 20% as much as I use my X10/X20 now....even though the images from the K01 are very excellent, and far superior to my X20. For some of us photography is not only about the IQ, it is about portability, function, and sadly.......body style. Aunt Bessie was a little short fat redhead and could cook heavenly meals. Mrs Rupert can barely cook and hates it....but she has always been good to look at!

One more note on Fuji, and no, I am not a Fuji salesman or a rabid Fanboy......I do believe that Fuji listens to their base well and tries to satisfy their needs, much better than most other Camera Makers.
Back from the dead: Fujifilm boosts X100 with major firmware upgrade: Digital Photography Review

With the X10 problem of the white globes, they replaced the sensors in any camera that was sent to them, at great expense, no doubt. Sure, it would have been better to have never had the problem, but they did address it. As far a I know, Pentax has never even acknowledged a problem with SDM lens failure, and certainly didn't pay for the $240 repairs (twice) on my DA*50-135. I like a Company that cares about its customers, it makes you feel like you do matter.

Best Regards!
10-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skankin_giant Quote

Cheers, Steve
Perhaps you should see a picture of a K5 with 16-50mm on vs XP1 with 18-55mm on it. The XP1 is much smaller and lighter setup. But even with the comparatively large size for a mirrorless, you will still find it crowed for holding without inadvertently pushing some buttons on the back ( the Q-button).
10-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bvg Quote
Fuji X-E2 is more compact and has 14bit engine. I am inclined to it.

First Look: Fujifilm X-E2 | Fuji Rumors
I'm looking forward to seeing how that one works out. They have a fast 24 (1.4) and a fast 35 (1.4) and that's essentially all I need. It's embarassing that Pentax doesn't have a fast 24.