Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #106
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Apart from all this speculation regarding specs, that is so immaterial.
What fascinates me, is that I like the way Nikon is teasing and entertaining their customers.

Is there any talent in Ricoh Imaging for the same? So far, they don't strike me as having any idea what that means. Customers? Entertainment?

They simply dump the news through the press on a certain date, and that is all about it. Unimaginative, boring.
They can't even build the tension — apart from endlessly delaying that what is inevitable.

10-25-2013, 04:52 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
apart from endlessly delaying that what is inevitable.
Bankruptcy?
10-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I just submitted my personal best guess what the Nikon DF will look like in a German Nikon forum. So, for the record, here it is:

- Nikon DF
- 16MP D4 sensor
- Interchangeable VF (like Nikon F - F5)
- VF-M: 0.8x 100% with special MF focus screen
- VF-E: 0.7x 100% with 2-3 million dots and peaking
- its fusion of analog/optical and digital/electronic
- support for legacy MF lenses
- possibly dedicated dials for shutter and aperture

This would explain rather seamlessly why the rumor had references to "hybrid" while it appears to be an SLR. As well as the reference to F2 or F3 and Fusion in its DF name. Moreover, it is THE obvious thing to do: technically known territory for Nikon and probably well received. Moreover, it helps Nikon to advance its post-SLR technological foundation.

So, if I nailed it, here is it on record
(it is my personal speculation nevertheless)
10-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #109
Veteran Member

While as a geek I can see the appeal of such a retro Nikon as a tech object, I wonder what marketing (and/or strategic) calculations may have driven them to produce such a camera?

10-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #110
Veteran Member

10-26-2013, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #111
Pentaxian

I think anyone who is going to get this camera should tease Nikon with their money.
10-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #112
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
While as a geek I can see the appeal of such a retro Nikon as a tech object, I wonder what marketing (and/or strategic) calculations may have driven them to produce such a camera?
Age group targeting. Not everyone wants their cameras to be weird gizmo in a blobby shape served commonly at every shelf.
It is fair to presume Nikon is now finally targeting at that age group that made Nikon famous in the 1980s. They owe it to them, big time.

And that age group now is 55+. (Note how all idealised male models in these Nikon ads are men in mid to late 40s, walking alone, and you see greys in their hair). They are not for scraps yet; they have financial means most likely, control the family income, and feel that they should be respected as they deserve with something made exclusively for them. That age group now also rapidly loses eye sight too, and an FF solution of some sort with bigger viewfinder helps a lot.

Pentax is doing similar, and quite well IMHO. Their first DSLRs were first made
(1) for middle age men, then
(2) reduced in size to be used by women and then
(3) repainted in hundreds of colours to be appealing to young families, young men and women, and teenagers too.
Q was definitely started to be appealing to teenagers (and those who feel very young).

Now they need to think of other age groups. I believe that FF of theirs will come in at least two flavours if they continued to think in their Pentax way — and they must, because they cannot neglect age group of 50+; if for nothing else, such persons would love a camera with a bigger OVF to see better.

And perhaps 645DII is restyled for similar reasons.

Last edited by Uluru; 10-26-2013 at 07:16 PM.
10-27-2013, 04:27 AM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Maybe someone in their marketing department said "I've got a brilliant idea, let's make a camera that's the photographic equivalent of a Harley Davidson."
10-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #114
Pentaxian

That noisy?
10-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #115

Dunno about the EVF. With the "pure photography" marketing, and the click noises in the first video, I'd hope theres no movie function or evf. Otherwise its just another dslr, albeit one with a shape that wont age well
10-27-2013, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I think anyone who is going to get this camera should tease Nikon with their money.
yes, I sent Nikon a video where I'm seemingly moving my hand into my back pocket, flipping open what must be a retro wallet, and then the briefest flash of a credit card followed by that retro sound of a ROC being imprinted with the credit card (remember that technology?). Oh and in another one I'm trekking in New York City, 9th ave, and seemingly enter what looks like a large camera store. They show a box moving on the overhead trolley suggestively, and then what looks like a pile of greenbacks sliding across the check out desk up front, though we mainly see the silver change that's perched on top of the pile....
10-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
yes, I sent Nikon a video where I'm seemingly moving my hand into my back pocket, flipping open what must be a retro wallet, and then the briefest flash of a credit card followed by that retro sound of a ROC being imprinted with the credit card (remember that technology?). Oh and in another one I'm trekking in New York City, 9th ave, and seemingly enter what looks like a large camera store. They show a box moving on the overhead trolley suggestively, and then what looks like a pile of greenbacks sliding across the check out desk up front, though we mainly see the silver change that's perched on top of the pile....
Haha!! I love this!
10-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Old style commerce

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I'm bringing a couple bushels of corn, a peck of apples and six goats down to my Nikon dealer. (I'll be willing to add some muskrat hides, but that's as far as I'll go.)
10-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #119
Veteran Member

This new camera is quite exciting, would be a great FF travel camera
10-28-2013, 01:28 AM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That noisy?
And inefficient, and overbearing...