Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Considering a Nikon AW1

Hi all,

I have been a Pentax shooter almost exclusively since I started with a K1000, and don't know much about other brands. But I love the idea of the Nikon AW1. I had a Q, but found IQ to be limiting with any but the 01 lens; and I have a WG-1, but IQ is pretty lousy except at base ISO, and even then it isn't good. A small weatherproof and waterproof camera with decent IQ would be really appealing. And they make a 10mm f/2.8 prime (28mm equivalent on film format) that is the lens that I felt was missing from the Q system. I also have a K-01 with great IQ, but it is too big for the role I want it to play.

Main hesitations- 1) the price is high, $1000 for the 2 lens kit; will it come down? 2) How good will the IQ be? A perusal of Flickr shows pretty darn good pictures with the 1 system, but it is hard to judge from that. Obviously the AW1 isn't out yet, so almost no one has experience with it.

I could also look at a Sony RX100 or a Fuji X20, but would lose weather resistance with those. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Nick

11-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was semi interested as well, but the high price put me off.

If you do get it, please share your experiences here.

I do have a Nikon 1 J1, and have been pretty pleased with the quality. But I haven't really used it since I bought the RX100, because the RX100 was much better from a usability and picture quality perspective.
04-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Reviving the thread

I'm late to hear of this little fellow. I've been saving up for a Ricoh GR and thinking of a WG-3 in the meantime since I lost my old Olympus waterproof. Now I'm thinking of skipping both in favor of the AW 1. Thoughts?