Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This reminds me of a joke from when I was a kid.

"Knock knock… can little Johnny come out and play?"
"Little Johnny's not home."
"Well then, can I come in and play with his toys."

11-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I can see slight vignette in sky on Eizo on some of those in your last post.
It is probably just the nd filter on the wide lens, the transmission off center goes through the filter glass at an angle on the wider lens.
That's possible, and I have seen similar effects even when shooting in APS-C.

Regardless, I do believe the Summicron 35 will vignette slightly on this camera when shot wide open without a filter.

However, this may be completely correctable using a customised Adobe lens profile. I can't remember if the Summicron 35 will vignette on a Leica M9 with no lens profile - I know the Voigtlanders definitely will (neither Leica nor VG supply lens profiles).

I am thinking of creating Adobe lens profiles for all my lenses. Nice little project over the Xmas break.
11-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
All the photos? Are you sure?

I can see vignetting in some of the photos (particularly the last two shot wide open) but not the ones at f5.6. And some of them are cropped, so if you think you see vignetting on all of them suggest you may need to check your monitor.
I can see vignetting in most of the photos. I thought you added them in post as well.

hm...
11-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I can see vignetting in most of the photos. I thought you added them in post as well.
If you can point out which photo you see vignetting, I can check to see whether it has been cropped or not.

11-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One thing that may need to be taken in to consideration, is that pupil size of the eye varies from individual to individual, and can decrease significantly after the age of 25. Older people (such as myself) will develop "tunnel vision" over time - where only objects directly in front will appear clear and bright, and everything else becomes a dark blur.

For example, I see vignetting on my computer screen if my eyes focuses in the centre - even though the screen is fairly uniformly bright (yes, I know some screens do have dark/bright corners, but my calibrated monitor isn't one of them).
11-25-2013, 01:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
High ISO and shallow DOF pictures taken on the Pentax A100 F4 macro. I will state ISO numbers for each shot.

ISO4000:

ISO1600:

ISO2000:

ISO100:

ISO200:

ISO6400:

ISO6400:

ISO1600:

ISO2000:

ISO2500:

ISO100:

ISO1600:

ISO3200:

ISO100:

ISO100:

ISO125:

ISO160:

ISO640:

ISO1250:

ISO200:

ISO800:
11-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
High ISO and shallow DOF pictures taken on the Pentax A100 F4 macro. I will state ISO numbers for each shot.

ISO4000:

ISO1600:

ISO2000:

ISO100:

ISO200:

ISO6400:

ISO6400:

ISO1600:

ISO2000:

ISO2500:

ISO100:

ISO1600:

ISO3200:

ISO100:

ISO100:

ISO125:

ISO160:

ISO640:

ISO1250:

ISO200:

ISO800:
these are amazing photos! and I am surprised 6400 isn't really THAT bad...

11-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

crap... no more photos from Pentax lenses please, lest you wanna drive up the prices further up!
11-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

If you can point out which photo you see vignetting, I can check to see whether it has been cropped or not.
For example, on the first post, all of them have vignetting, except the last one.

(also, please don't take this as a negative comments on your photos, just point out what I see, nothing to do with photo).

No, not tunnel vision, if I have that I will know, I am not 'that' dumb - I am not seeing "every" photos on my screen have vignetting.
11-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
For example, on the first post, all of them have vignetting, except the last one.
If you are talking about the very first post, which are photos taken on the Summicron 50, I would disagree with you. I can't see any vignetting on the photos.

On the second photo, I can see a flower on the bottom right corner of the frame - it does not seem any dimmer than other flowers on the photo.

The sixth photo is cropped and rotated, so even if there was vignetting on the lens it should not be present in the cropped photo.
11-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Christine,

Was the A7r worth it over a K-3?

It's decision time for me and any advice on this is welcome.
11-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #27
Pentaxian

On a 10-bit, high quality photo editing monitor, I too see a lot of vignetting in most of those photos. Calibration of a monitor does little to resolve vignetting. Most of the vignetting works with the images. One image I see pinkish in the upper LH corner of the sky and one of those buildings has one on the left blue compared to the others. I can't say if that how it actually was and all I can say it has a cast. But here at work on a commodity monitor, the vignetting and color casts are less noticeable.
11-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

Your story keeps changing on what lenses you used. The first post says they were all taken with a 35 summicron, than later, only the first photo of the first series was taken with a 50 summicron. Then via this quote, they were all taken with a 50 summicron.
I am not quite sure what you mean. This is the first line of the first post in this thread:
QuoteQuote:
Here are some examples taken on the Summicron 50 - most of them taken wide open at f2 - the DOF is quite shallow, so I am going to specify where the focus point was in these photos.
I am not exactly sure why you say my "story" keeps changing - I have not edited that line, nor have I said anything different in other posts.
11-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
Christine,

Was the A7r worth it over a K-3?

It's decision time for me and any advice on this is welcome.
Unfortunately, I can't really answer your question, since I don't own a K-3 and have no intentions of buying one. I did own a K-5, but have since sold it. I still own a K-01.

If you have only Pentax lenses and don't intend to switch systems, I would recommend buying a Pentax camera. Perhaps there will be a Pentax FF camera on the horizon, but otherwise the K-3 is probably the best Pentax you can buy today.

You do lose a lot using adapted lenses on a camera. For example manufacturer supplied raw processing parameters, EXIF data, auto focus (for most types of lenses). You also lose quality through the adapter shim. Hopefully by using native lenses, the manufacturer has optimised the sensor for the registration distance of the native mount - this cannot be guaranteed for adapted lenses, and indeed some of the vignetting, colour cast and smearing issues we see in the photos on this thread should be less on a native M mount camera such as the Leica M.

I had a Leica M9 for a brief period, and I decided not to keep it because of various issues. The Leica M Type 240 doesn't really address many of my issues, and yes I have tried it briefly. I keep hoping Leica (or somebody else - maybe even Ricoh) will actually produce an M body I will buy one day. But in the meantime, the Sony is a fun camera and I like trying different lenses on it even with the disadvantages I noted earlier.

I will probably end up using it with native E-mount lenses (I have the SEL35F28Z on order, and plan to buy the SEL55F18Z). If you are willing to switch to a brand new system (Sony full frame E mount) then I think the camera is worth your consideration. I am very impressed by the quality of the images - they actually look sharp even at the pixel level - similar in quality to the D800E (I am not willing to say better at this stage).

Last edited by Christine Tham; 11-25-2013 at 03:30 PM.
11-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I am not quite sure what you mean. This is the first line of the first post in this thread:

I am not exactly sure why you say my "story" keeps changing - I have not edited that line, nor have I said anything different in other posts.
Excuse me, my error - i got confused between the different series and pages.

I think the first series with the Summicron 90 was outstanding. But the Summicron 35 series with a few exceptions, didn't look that great to me, and i'm thinking it may be due to that ND filter.