Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
On a 10-bit, high quality photo editing monitor, I too see a lot of vignetting in most of those photos. Calibration of a monitor does little to resolve vignetting.
Not sure "10-bit" is relevant given the photos are compressed JPEG. Monitor calibration can affect perceived vignetting - particularly gamma, but also screen brightness uniformity. The screen size also plays a factor, given different pupil sizes as I highlighted earlier.

Generally we don't perceive vignetting unless brightness falls by more than 30%, and vignetting is not possible (or at best highly unlikely) if the photo has been cropped and rotated.

11-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Excuse me, my error - i got confused between the different series and pages.

I think the first series with the Summicron 90 was outstanding. But the Summicron 35 series with a few exceptions, didn't look that great to me, and i'm thinking it may be due to that ND filter.
Sorry, you may still be confused - the first post was Summicron 50, the second I think was Summicron 90.

Adding the ND filter will most likely have affected the Summicron 35 photos, so I think I understand what you are saying there. Having said that, the photos are amazingly sharp at the pixel level (though you may have to take my word on that - I'm not planning to post full size images). But I find ND filter affects contrast (and maybe even perceived vignetting, due to bouncing between the filter and lens surfaces).
11-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Not sure "10-bit" is relevant given the photos are compressed JPEG.
It gives credibility to the quality of the monitor. So when I see vignetting like everyone else, it's there, period, and not because of a poor monitor, the calibration or our eyes.
11-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It gives credibility to the quality of the monitor.
To offset the loss of credibility from claiming vignetting on a cropped image? Sure, why not?

11-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I didn't say all the images, Christine.
11-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #36
Veteran Member

It's the character of the lenses wide open i believe...not all are affected that way except for the Voit which she already mentioned. Also most of the images seem to be taken from deep shade to a point of bright light so the "appearance" of vignetting is there.
11-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
It's the character of the lenses wide open i believe...not all are affected that way except for the Voit which she already mentioned. Also most of the images seem to be taken from deep shade to a point of bright light so the "appearance" of vignetting is there.
Actually, just to be clear, since I am doing the Adobe lens profile calibration for them right now, so far almost all the lenses exhibit some vignetting wide open. The CV 15mm is the worst of all, but that lens has been known to have issues even on Leica M8, M9 etc. But even the Summicron 50 and 90 will have some vignetting if I shoot a white wall for instance.

I am however surprised by people who claim they see vignetting even on photos that are cropped and rotated.

The Summicron 35 photos are a little different. Because of the ND filter, some (maybe even most) of them have exaggerated contrast towards the centre, and contrast fall off towards the edges. I can understand why some perhaps less experienced eyes may perceive this as vignetting, but technically that's not true as there is no luminosity fall off.

However, even that wouldn't explain why someone would perceive vignetting on the first post, where there is no ND filter. Apart from monitor issues and eye perception issues, the only other reason I can think of would be expectations bias.

11-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #38

It's just the composition of the photos that looks like there is vignetting. The first 3 photos all have dark corner backgrounds, and the others more or less have the same. I think everyone is condition to see dark corner as vignetting because of those popular filters.
11-26-2013, 04:03 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Unfortunately, I can't really answer your question, since I don't own a K-3 and have no intentions of buying one. I did own a K-5, but have since sold it. I still own a K-01.

If you have only Pentax lenses and don't intend to switch systems, I would recommend buying a Pentax camera. Perhaps there will be a Pentax FF camera on the horizon, but otherwise the K-3 is probably the best Pentax you can buy today.

You do lose a lot using adapted lenses on a camera. For example manufacturer supplied raw processing parameters, EXIF data, auto focus (for most types of lenses). You also lose quality through the adapter shim. Hopefully by using native lenses, the manufacturer has optimised the sensor for the registration distance of the native mount - this cannot be guaranteed for adapted lenses, and indeed some of the vignetting, colour cast and smearing issues we see in the photos on this thread should be less on a native M mount camera such as the Leica M.

I had a Leica M9 for a brief period, and I decided not to keep it because of various issues. The Leica M Type 240 doesn't really address many of my issues, and yes I have tried it briefly. I keep hoping Leica (or somebody else - maybe even Ricoh) will actually produce an M body I will buy one day. But in the meantime, the Sony is a fun camera and I like trying different lenses on it even with the disadvantages I noted earlier.

I will probably end up using it with native E-mount lenses (I have the SEL35F28Z on order, and plan to buy the SEL55F18Z). If you are willing to switch to a brand new system (Sony full frame E mount) then I think the camera is worth your consideration. I am very impressed by the quality of the images - they actually look sharp even at the pixel level - similar in quality to the D800E (I am not willing to say better at this stage).
Christine,

Many thanks. I was hoping the A7/r was going to be multiple lens mount utopia, a FF frame body upon which nearly any FF lens can be used.

Your photos are however, superb!
11-26-2013, 04:58 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Summicron 90 at Madame Tussauds.

There is definitely vignetting at the extreme corners of the frame, and it's not subtle either. However, because it is only at the extreme, slight cropping should do the trick, however, I have chosen to leave the vignetting on most of these photos.

11-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #41

Just got my A7r. More pictures later, but here it is with the FA77. Fits well with the camera.

11-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Sammy, hurry up I'm on the edge of my seat here!

I want to do exactly what you have done there with a 31, a 77 and a K 50/f1.2, et.al.
11-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by tsammyc Quote
Just got my A7r. More pictures later, but here it is with the FA77. Fits well with the camera.

YES! Im really curious to see some FA77 shots.
11-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Richmond,

It looks like the A7 is the one to go for if you're doing manual focus and low light. It seems the A7r is unforgiving.

Out on the Road: Getting to Know the Sony a7 and a7R