Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Touch based interface?
The teenagers in my life seem to love this. I'm guessing that you are of a somewhat older age

M

12-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #47
Pentaxian

"When I was a teenager..."
They like it because they don't know any better, IMO. They don't learn to properly hold camera, using instead like a phone; and they don't know to value things like tactile feedback - they're used with none.
12-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's another take on m4/3 and what's "enough": Full Frame Myth
12-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"When I was a teenager..."
They like it because they don't know any better, IMO. They don't learn to properly hold camera, using instead like a phone; and they don't know to value things like tactile feedback - they're used with none.
So many don't even know how to hold a pen properly, it's no wonder a camera is a foreign object. Watching one of that group with a stylus on a touch-screen camera would be something between pathetic and hilarious.

12-20-2013, 04:04 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Here's another take on m4/3 and what's "enough": Full Frame Myth
It is interesting, because Reichmann admits that four thirds is likely in trouble once Sony develops a full line of full frame e mount lenses. With the shorter registration distance, they should be very able to get smaller lenses (like Leica) that are quite a bit faster than APS-C or four thirds equivalent lenses. These aren't here yet, but Olympus and Pentax both definitely need to keep their eye on Sony, since their niche has always been small camera body/lens combos.
12-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Reichmann never quite says what the FF myth is - but for me, i think the myth is that we'll all be shooting FF in a coupla years. At least that seems to be the vision that Canon and Nikon were working towards. Its hard to say what the Sony vision is , they are building hardware on both sides of the food fight, i.e. phones and dslrs and compact systems.

This quote from R's article:
QuoteQuote:
For example, the type of street shooting which I enjoy doing, while I spend part of the year in Mexico, relies on my walking the streets of towns and villages with a minimal kit. A large DSLR with a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens just is asking to be noticed, and this means missing great shooting opportunities. Small systems are much less intimidating when doing documentary style street shooting, not to mention that a small shoulder bag can easily carry a body and three or four lenses, and do so all day without user fatigue.

Then there's the issue of travel. If I'm doing landscape shooting and I'm getting around by car, then I'll use the biggest, badest system that I have available. Either medium format or Full Frame 35mm. But when I'm traveling by air, frankly – I've had it with large heavy camera bags and the limitations of carry-on. The new mirrorless systems just make those aspects of travel that much simpler and less problematic.
There's a dp Pentax thread on R's article, One poster complains that Reichmann is too rambling in his comments - apparently there are those that want concrete conclusions - BW, none of this waffling around with a lot of grey comments.

My opinion is noone really knows whats going to happen to the camera marketplace. Millions of people in many different countries, of all generations, are going to take pictures with cameras or camera phones that they buy in the marketplace. What they buy will determine which sensors and companies survive or die. Reichmann speaks from his own street photography and travel leanings, and all the rest of us speak from our own similar narrow generational experiences.

One prediction from my own narrow viewpoint: FF will make slow inroads in the camera population, but its not going to be the quick slam dunk that Canon and Nikon seem to expect.

5 years from now, aps and m4/3 cams are still going to be sold in all probability. There's way too much discussion of the technical features of each sensor size, and not enough consideration of what those cameras are needed or wanted for. "form follows function" is a practical design thumb rule. One doesn't buy a FF if they need to be able to carry their camera in a pocket.
12-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
One prediction from my own narrow viewpoint: FF will make slow inroads in the camera population, but its not going to be the quick slam dunk that Canon and Nikon seem to expect.
I think that's the "myth" referred to:
I think it was somewhat of a continuation of this Thom Hogan piece: The Full Frame Debate | byThom | Thom Hogan
The first diagram is what I've been mentioning about "good enough"...the A/B lines have been separating for a while now. There are still some people who need B/FF but they're more unusual situations.

And I agree about Sony's A7. If Nikon had been willing to do something like that w/ the Df, it might have been revolutionary (and would have ticked off their users). I expected the Sony thing from Pentax instead but it'd need a new lineup of lenses. But to get the A7 to actually be "FF" now, you have to buy yet another line of Sony lenses because all their old lenses are effectively APS-C lenses on that body. And all the FE lenses that you have to buy now are slow and still fairly large :-P