Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

Zeiss Ikon folding MF camera from late 1950's

Not that long time ago i bought this beautiful camera. It is absolutely manual and even actually taking a shoot involves a lot of guesswork!
Here are few examples. Just got them scanned today. Film is Ilford 400. All shot on a very sunny day.
Would apreciate any coments or maybe advice on how to work with this old camera. Thanx

Attached Images

01-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Another
Attached Images

01-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
One more
Attached Images

01-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
And one more

Attached Images

01-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gorgeus, congratulations! Doesn't look like you need any advice
01-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Gorgeus, congratulations! Doesn't look like you need any advice
Thanks! But still... There should be someone how knows better, definately.
Yeah, and here's the camera itself.
Attached Images

01-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Looks pretty good. I've never shot one so I really can't give any advise on handling that particular camera.

Perhaps post more of your BW pictures in the Pentax Film SLR Discussion->Post Your B&W Film Shots thread. No doubt you'll find more people interested in the shots than this area of the forum. There are plenty of mixed film cameras and formats there so don't be too concerned by the title.

01-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Radzins Quote
Not that long time ago i bought this beautiful camera.
Very nice shots! I just held a similar model (see below) about a week ago at the local repair shop while getting my TLR fixed.. I was intrigued and he offered to sell it to me for $120 (including an overhaul), but I passed on it (for now) because I only just got my TLR for my first adventure bigger than 35mm... What's this thing like to shoot from your experience so far?
01-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Very nice shots! I just held a similar model (see below) about a week ago at the local repair shop while getting my TLR fixed.. I was intrigued and he offered to sell it to me for $120 (including an overhaul), but I passed on it (for now) because I only just got my TLR for my first adventure bigger than 35mm... What's this thing like to shoot from your experience so far?
Looks like the lens should be exactly like on my. Shutter though is different, my speeds are B 10 25 50 100 200. Prontor SV should be easier to use, at least a little bit.
Being honest, i think TLR that you own might be better. As far as i understand it does have a viewfinder through which you actually see, what will be in picture. With this Zeiss...well, you won't. That viewfinder on top of my camera is just a hole with a lens in it. So i need to get used and guess a little bit. You can see on my picture of that car, that bottom looks like been cut, while in that viewfinder i saw whole car and actually a bit of foreground as well.
Then again, I am not that educated in this field, so maybe your type of camera is different.
One more thing. It really does makes you to slow down and think about what you do and actually even evaluate distance to the object you are taking pictures of. I do count my steps...
And for sure, you get a lot of attention with these cameras.
01-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So i need to get used and guess a little bit.
That would be rough at first for sure. With the TLR, yes I get to see pretty much whatever is in the viewfinder as long as I don't get too close to subject, then there is parallax, although I don't know at what distance that actually sets in.

One more thing. It really does makes you to slow down and think about what you do and actually even evaluate distance to the object you are taking pictures of. I do count my steps...
I don't think I would have the patience to be slowed down any further than what I am already finding with the TLR. On top of dialing in focus which is tough in many cases, it's really challenging the cheapskate in me knowing how much each shot is costing me in film and development (and scanning when the time comes)... I am finding myself to be very particular about my shots. The TLR has been challenging to get used to also because in the viewfinder everything moves in reverse. Overall I am liking the change of pace though and am looking forward to getting my film developed.
01-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
That would be rough at first for sure. With the TLR, yes I get to see pretty much whatever is in the viewfinder as long as I don't get too close to subject, then there is parallax, although I don't know at what distance that actually sets in.

I don't think I would have the patience to be slowed down any further than what I am already finding with the TLR. On top of dialing in focus which is tough in many cases, it's really challenging the cheapskate in me knowing how much each shot is costing me in film and development (and scanning when the time comes)... I am finding myself to be very particular about my shots. The TLR has been challenging to get used to also because in the viewfinder everything moves in reverse. Overall I am liking the change of pace though and am looking forward to getting my film developed.
Well, i can say one thing for sure, you are not alone concerned about costs on each frame! And about being slowed down, it does help with finding the right place and time, even light and shadows to shoot. I tend to take pics with this Zeiss only on rare occasions, but at the same time i am carrying it with me much more often than my K5.
I do think, it is just my opinion, that B/W film is more suitable for portraits and, maybe, "golden hour" photos, while color film is way much better for landscapes. And because of all that, i sometimes don't take any shots, even if i see something worth shooting. Just because sometimes i have B/W film loaded, and there is a beautiful landscape on a sunny day, which would be better in color. I hope you got my idea.
01-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope you got my idea.
Yeah this is why I almost got a MF camera with the switchable back option but ultimately I opted for the TLR because I know I won't be shooting high volumes and wanted something as light as possible to tote along with my digital gear (and not as intimidating as a folder)... I am kind of backwards from you though.. I've only purchased color film so far for my TLR because I really like Portra, especially for portraits... I like B/W (for everything) too, but it was the appeal of Portra in particular that got me to finally go MF. I've done a lot of emulating Portra on digital images, in the effort to pacify myself over the years. I like the results I get with emulating but it's not the real deal and I finally couldn't resist anymore and bought some Portra for my 135 cameras.. That didn't fully scratch the itch either... Next stop (after I get rich) is a decked out Hassy rig so I can have a little Zeiss with my Portra too...