Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2014, 03:45 AM   #31

The new 56mm f1.2 samples can be found here:

FUJINON XF56mmF1.2 R Fujinon X Mount lenses | Fujifilm United Kingdom

Looks very promising!

01-21-2014, 04:15 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice looking, but I have a wait and see approach to Fuji stuff.
They made big claims and hype was high with X100, XP1, then XE1, but all failed in shutter lag and AF speed to me.
Their lenses are good though, perhaps the maker who is truly delivering on the aps-c format after Pentax's mess of ownership caused them to lag.

However, at this point of time, I think its hard to convince me that its a better proposition for the money over a A7.
Similar look (retro+modern), even the top dials look a bit similar.
Fuji got the lenses to form a system, Sony got the confluence of electronics know-how to make the MILC and the FF sensor (but scare lenses).
FE35 and FE55 may be little, but are often used focal lengths (perhaps even 70-80% of usage for some people)
Add in adapted stuff and to me its hard to see the Fuji being better.
01-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its stupid pricey. I think $1200 would be easier to stomach. Then you have the lenses, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think one is under $400. There are glaring holes, like a fast zoom lens, or just a constant aperture normal zoom lens for that matter, no tele prime, a long macro (I don't do macro's, but I feel 90mm focal length on APSC too short if I were to do them)....

I do wish Pentax had some equivalents to some of these Fuji lenses though... a fast compact wide angle prime? Looks like Fuji can do it. Maybe that speed has to do something with flange distance?
01-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #34
Inactive Account

16-55 and 50-140 2.8 are on the road map. personally, I could live with a 10/2.8 touit and a 23/1.4 but the prices are just crazy. i'd need 4k $ for those 2 lenses and this camera.

01-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Its stupid pricey. I think $1200 would be easier to stomach.
Yep. And if you buy those lenses you listed, you could get a Df (also stupidly priced) instead and have a common lens mount with one of your other cameras. Plus you'd get ISO 100 instead of ISO 200 as base ISO and get a usable ISO 12800 without going into extended modes. But if size and APS-C is the main feature than the Df is not it.

I wonder why Fuji is still sticking with their X-Trans sensor. I mean, it was to solve moire with no AA filter issue but today 24MP+ sensors have shown you pretty much don't need an AA filter most the time. And they'd probably get faster contrast detection AF and people would have more RAW editor support without that X-Trans.
01-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Yep. And if you buy those lenses you listed, you could get a Df (also stupidly priced) instead and have a common lens mount with one of your other cameras. But if size and APS-C is the main feature than the Df is not it.

I wonder why Fuji is still sticking with their X-Trans sensor. I mean, it was to solve moire with no AA filter issue but today 24MP+ sensors have shown you pretty much don't need an AA filter most the time. And they'd probably get faster contrast detection AF and people would have more RAW editor support without that X-Trans.
Ahhh! you found me out! Too bad the Df is ugly compared to this sexy beast, and the Df also doesn't look as enjoyable to use. Granted... I'll probably end up with one or the other. :P
01-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Ahhh! you found me out! Too bad the Df is ugly compared to this sexy beast, and the Df also doesn't look as enjoyable to use. Granted... I'll probably end up with one or the other. :P
I think they look about the same to me. But I'm not picky about what a camera looks like at all. I know some are though.

Seriously though, the X-T1 looks like it will handle the same as the Df. I've been shooting the Df. It is a joy to use for me. I like it a lot. But Nikon needs to make more f1.8 lenses for it or lighter ones like the new 58/1.4 . Lenses over 600g of mass start to be unbalanced with it.

01-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I think they look about the same to me. But I'm not picky about what a camera looks like at all. I know some are though.

Seriously though, the X-T1 looks like it will handle the same as the Df. I've been shooting the Df. It is a joy to use for me. I like it a lot. But Nikon needs to make more f1.8 lenses for it or lighter ones like the new 58/1.4 . Lenses over 600g of mass start to be unbalanced with it.
I think the thing that appeals to me most is the Auto modes on the dials to set your "modes" and the aperture rings. I am interested in the Df, in black it doesn't look as bad, in fact I wouldn't mind it in black. Looks aren't everything, but they do help.

The size though is what I'm trying to overcome, it looks massive in photos. How is it really? No one locally has stock yet, but I will go touch one when I can. who knows might get sold on the spot.
01-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I think the thing that appeals to me most is the Auto modes on the dials to set your "modes" and the aperture rings. I am interested in the Df, in black it doesn't look as bad, in fact I wouldn't mind it in black. Looks aren't everything, but they do help.

The size though is what I'm trying to overcome, it looks massive in photos. How is it really? No one locally has stock yet, but I will go touch one when I can. who knows might get sold on the spot.

I take it you've seen the shot I took and posted of it? It is smaller and lighter than your D800 with enough room to put your hands on it and not touch buttons. I see the X-T1 has cleaned up the back and got most the buttons out of the way.

It is my candid and walking around camera. I assign auto ISO to a function button and switch between aperture priority and manual mode while in auto ISO and shoot away. My tests have shown I can shoot without a VR lens in the 1/40-1/60th shutter speed range and get sharper shots handhold than with my D800. And as a walking around camera, I really don't want 36MP all the time.
01-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I take it you've seen the shot I took and posted of it? It is smaller and lighter than your D800 with enough room to put your hands on it and not touch buttons. I see the X-T1 has cleaned up the back and got most the buttons out of the way.

It is my candid and walking around camera. I assign auto ISO to a function button and switch between aperture priority and manual mode while in auto ISO and shoot away. My tests have shown I can shoot without a VR lens in the 1/40-1/60th shutter speed range and get sharper shots handhold than with my D800. And as a walking around camera, I really don't want 36MP all the time.
Which thread? I don't know if I did. (NM: found it on the Nikonforums.com. it's sexy in black.)

It's between the D800 and K3 in terms of size as far as I can tell. 710 grams compared to 900 gram dry weight of the D800. So yea, heavier lenses I could see being a concern. The resolution of the d800 has definitely caused issues with shake and slower shutter speeds. So it is intriguing in that respect. better fps...

so here are some questions since you got it:

how many RAW's can be stored in the buffer?
how quick does the buffer clear? (with a 95mbs card for example)
how is the AF tracking compared to the D800?

I'm probably going to get rid of my OMD EM5, the question is for what.... The Df coupled with my faster primes and a f2.8 zoom would be perfect for my live music photography due to that sensor alone. The A7 would be great for use with my FA Limited glass...as would the XT-1. But really... the K3 is the best thing for K glass at this time.

Last edited by Wired; 01-21-2014 at 10:16 AM.
01-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Which thread? I don't know if I did. (NM: found it on the Nikonforums.com. it's sexy in black.)

It's between the D800 and K3 in terms of size as far as I can tell. 710 grams compared to 900 gram dry weight of the D800. So yea, heavier lenses I could see being a concern. The resolution of the d800 has definitely caused issues with shake and slower shutter speeds. So it is intriguing in that respect. better fps...

so here are some questions since you got it:

how many RAW's can be stored in the buffer?
how quick does the buffer clear? (with a 95mbs card for example)
how is the AF tracking compared to the D800?
I posted it in the FF thread. But here is a Link To It

The only reason I have the Df is I promised my nephew I'd one day give him my XP1 at a really good deal when I upgraded my XP1. But he recently had his X100 stolen. And I want to nurture his photography so a least one person in the family will understand and preserver my negatives and digital media into a least one more generation. So I bumped up that schedule. I got a bit of windfall at xmas and decided for the Df since is wasn't going to cost me much and I wanted to reduce the lens mounts I need to support.

I don't have the camera with me to say how many files on a card but you can shoot a lot of 16MP files on a 16Gbit card! Battery life is excellent too. The camera shoots as fast as a D610 which is to say not tops for Nikon but not a dog either. I haven't done any tracking with it. So I can't say except to expect it to be the same as a D610. Don't expect it to be a top sports kind of camera but certainly capable of capturing good action. For the price of the camera, they really should have put one of their best low light focusing modules in it. So if you can hold off, I bet the next version of it ( if there is one) will improve that.
01-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I posted it in the FF thread. But here is a Link To It

The only reason I have the Df is I promised my nephew I'd one day give him my XP1 at a really good deal when I upgraded my XP1. But he recently had his X100 stolen. And I want to nurture his photography so a least one person in the family will understand and preserver my negatives and digital media into a least one more generation. So I bumped up that schedule. I got a bit of windfall at xmas and decided for the Df since is wasn't going to cost me much.

I don't have the camera with me to say how many files on a card but you can shoot a lot of 16MP files on a 16Gbit card! Battery life is excellent too. The camera shoots as fast as a D610 which is to say not tops for Nikon but not a dog either. I haven't done any tracking with it. So I can't say except to expect it to be the same as a D610. Don't expect it to be a top sports kind of camera but certainly capable of capturing good action. For the price of the camera, they really should have put one of their best low light focusing modules in it. So if you can hold off, I bet the next version of it ( if there is one) will improve that.
I have no reason to buy another camera other that being a gear head. in truth I should get more lenses for my Nikon kit, specifically the 135mm f2 DC. Heck, maybe I just trade my OMD kit on that thing, would be worth it. That lens was one of the main reasons I went to Nikon. If I do wait for the Df (chances are I'm waiting till summer anyways) then I would be waiting for a used one or for the price to drop if it happens.

I'm not worried about how many images on a card, I know it would take a while to fill up. I'm more wondering about how big the buffer is and how fast it clears. I was shooting some cycling shots this weekend and really had to think more than on my K3 because of the buffer size. Even shooting weddings or portraits or bands I find the buffer of the D800 a huge detriment. It really is not a speedy camera, but the results are so bloody beautiful.
01-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #43
Pentaxian

I'm not worried about how many images on a card, I know it would take a while to fill up. I'm more wondering about how big the buffer is and how fast it clears.
I'll get back to you on that when I can check that out.
01-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I'd like to see a Pentax retro LX with a similar layout and feature set as the original LX, as in something amazing with the metering. I love my K-5, how it fits in my hand and the ability to throw a grip on it and have it feel like a full-size pro camera and cram a three lens prime kit without the grip into a tiny bag and go light. I continue to avoid buying DA lenses because I expect a full frame to show up at some point. The mirrorless body looks like it could actually replicate a similar size to the LX.
01-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I'd like to see a Pentax retro LX with a similar layout and feature set as the original LX, as in something amazing with the metering. I love my K-5, how it fits in my hand and the ability to throw a grip on it and have it feel like a full-size pro camera and cram a three lens prime kit without the grip into a tiny bag and go light. I continue to avoid buying DA lenses because I expect a full frame to show up at some point. The mirrorless body looks like it could actually replicate a similar size to the LX.
your thinking the same thing as me. Even if it was APS-C I wouldn't mind. an APS-C body the same size as the LX with similar controls and the bloody awesome metering from that camera would be a dream. especially with the DA Limited and FA Limited glass. Heck they could even take another 16mp sensor and throw it in there for all I care.