Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
Banned

Hasselblad to launch 50 Megapixel Sony CMOS sensor-based medium format camera !

QuoteQuote:
Hasselblad is set to launch the world’s first 50MP medium format camera using CMOS sensor technology. The groundbreaking H5D-50c will go on sale in March.

Ove Bengtson, Hasselblad Product Manager said: “This pioneering 50 megapixel CMOS sensor camera is based on our H5D-50 model (here at BHphoto) but will offer a faster capture rate; longer shutter speed capability and much greater ISO performance. It will provide greatly improved Live Video in Phocus and will also be available with Multi-Shot functionality.”

He added: “We believe this will provide a highly compelling option for professional photographers who prefer a more versatile camera that enables them to immediately embrace a wider range of photo-disciplines but still encapsulating the exceptionally high-end image quality associated with Hasselblad.”

Hasselblad’s new CEO Ian Rawcliffe said: “We are extremely excited about this highly adaptable new camera which will offer an even broader palette of shooting options for our high-end customers.

“This is a world-first and underpins Hasselblad’s status at the forefront of camera technology. It will be the first of a number of medium format capture innovations we have planned for the coming months.”

Further information and prices for the new H5D-50c models will be announced in March.
Hasselblad to launch 50 Megapixel Sony CMOS sensor-based medium format camera! | sonyalpharumors

It looks like competition for the 645D II if it ever comes out.

QuoteQuote:
Hassleblad has announced a new camera, the H5D-50c which incorporates a 50MP CMOS sensor. This is a significant step away from the CCD sensors that have been standard in digital medium-format imaging up to now and potentially opens up the possibility of higher ISO sensitivities and faster capture rates than previous Hasselblad medium-format bodies.

According to Hasselblad's press release, the H5D-50c is 'the first of a number of medium format capture innovations we have planned for the coming months'.

This development comes weeks after Hasselblad was reported to have quietly replaced its CEO, Dr Larry Hansen. He was the man responsible for the tie-up with Sony that created the Hasselblad Lunar and has been replaced by former chief operating officer Ian Rawcliffe. It is unclear whether the change of management spells the end for the Hasselblad Lunar and Stellar cameras.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/01/21/hasselblad-replaces-ceo-announces-50...

01-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I am thinking this 50mp Sony sensor would be the next sensor for the 645dII...
01-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At last - a FF competitor?! ;)

QuoteQuote:
He added: “We believe this will provide a highly compelling option for professional photographers who prefer a more versatile camera that enables them to immediately embrace a wider range of photo-disciplines...”
Wait - up until now Medium Format Digital hasn't been versatile?
01-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I am thinking this 50mp Sony sensor would be the next sensor for the 645dII...
Could be. If so, I wonder about how much of a price Pentax can pull off this time, though. The original 645D really undercut the Hassy's.

01-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
If this comes out in March then how much longer for the Pentax 645 II to come out if ever. Ricoh might just end the 645D production unless it makes money for them.
01-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Wait - up until now Medium Format Digital hasn't been versatile?
If its anything like the exmor sensors but now in 645 size.....
I can see it being evem more capable...
01-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

645 size would make the jump worthwhile. Right now for me, with 1.3x the 'crop' factor of 36x24, it isn't worth it.

A 645DII with a (presumably) larger than Hasselblad 50 sensor would be great. We'll see though.

01-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
come out if ever. Ricoh might just end the 645D production
? IIRC, in several of the recent Ricoh exec interviews, they have stated a continuing commitment to evolving the 645D, even suggesting it was in the product development queue ahead of a Pentax FF.

Now that Hassy has shown their hand, it's probably not going to be long before we know more about Ricoh's next steps re 645D.
01-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
645 size would make the jump worthwhile. Right now for me, with 1.3x the 'crop' factor of 36x24, it isn't worth it.

A 645DII with a (presumably) larger than Hasselblad 50 sensor would be great. We'll see though.
Yeah.
It needs to get back to actual FF 645 to make a better proposition against FF 135 nowadays.

I have no doubts P645II will be using this sensor too.
01-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

They say, "the first of a number of medium format capture innovations we have planned for the coming months". I wonder what else they are going to do. Offer different MP ranges like they have now but in CMOS?
01-22-2014, 01:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
If this comes out in March then how much longer for the Pentax 645 II to come out if ever. Ricoh might just end the 645D production unless it makes money for them.
Yeah. Ricoh Imaging should just close shop and leave the market to Sony

By the way, PhaseOne supposedly will launch an IQ250 with a (the same?) 50MP CMOS sensor:
PhaseOne IQ250 coming soon with a.... new 50MP CMOS sensor | Photo Rumors
01-22-2014, 02:13 AM   #12
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nobody knows what Ricoh Imaging is working on. Last time I heard, and that was half a year ago, was a 645D with at least 70 MP but not a word since. In any case, they are very secretive. I was presuming at least one new lens for the 645D will be presented during the last 12 months, but nada. Nothing.
I would not be surprised if they have stored the project ad acta and took the holidays in Tahiti.

Last edited by Uluru; 01-22-2014 at 03:58 AM.
01-22-2014, 05:39 AM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
Hasselblad and Sony. The beginnning of a new medium format strategy

QuoteQuote:
So, the rumors we posted were right and Sony is indeed entering the medium format world by producing CMOS sensor for Hasselblad. Obviously, the soon to be announced H5D-50C is expected to cost $1000 per million pixel which means…about $50,000 just like the model it replaces, the H5D-50 model (here at BHphoto).

But as I have been told by my Hasselblad sources there are other very interesting aspects to know:

1) Hasselblad and Sony are working on quite revolutionary new sensor tech that will fit in future medium format sensors. And some of this tech will spread to the lower “Full Frame” sensor market. (This comes via one of my good sources).

2) It has been not decided yet but it’s a possibility: Hasselblad and Sony could also launch “cheap” medium format cameras to seriously compete in Nikon’s and Canon’s High End Full Frame market. Pentax already did this with the Pentax 645D (around $6000 or 6000 Euro here one Bay).
Hasselblad and Sony. The beginnning of a new medium format strategy. (Poll: Would you buy a low end medium format camera?). | sonyalpharumors
01-22-2014, 05:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian

And, going back in time (November 2013):
QuoteQuote:
The last couple of months I got three mails from three different anonymous sources sharing the same info. The Hasselbad-Sony collaboration is going beyond the simple “luxuruzation” of Sony products…read Hasselblad Lunar and Hasselblad Stellar.

According to these sources Hasselblad and Sony developed a brand new sensor and they will show this sensor sometimes in early 2014. I can give you one important info about it:

Every single pixel can have a different shutter time! This means the sensor allows a dramatic increase of the dynamic range. What sources didn’t tell me is how exactly this works and if the sensor is going to be first used by Hasselblad's new medium format camera or by a new generation of FF sensors. Anyhow, its great news to see that Hasselblad is working on some exciting new tech with Sony!
(SR4) Hasselblad and Sony to make a joint sensor announcement? | sonyalpharumors
01-22-2014, 07:02 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Every single pixel can have a different shutter time! This means the sensor allows a dramatic increase of the dynamic range.
Fascinating. The old saying, but practiced by few who shot film, was expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights. Perhaps with this new sensor tech the exposure time will be for the shadows and they can cut the exposure time in the areas of the highlights on the sensor. That would be great.