Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #1

Yashica TL Electro X

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I bought my Yashica TL Electro X a year ago at a consignment shop for like 20 dollars and I love it. Works great my only two concerns would be I know there is said to be two lights in the viewfinder that are supposed to light up when you are either under or over exposed. I don't see either one. I put a brand new battery in and still nothing. My second concern is the decal on top of the shutter speed dial is missing making it hard to tell where my settings are at.

Where should I look for possible repair shops? Do any still exist? I look around my town and find nothing.

01-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The problem with Yashica is there isn't much one can do with the electronics (unlike Pentax where some parts are still around). I have an X Its with a similar problem, and am stuck. My other X works fine and is one of my favorite cameras.
01-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by SolarBurn Quote
I bought my Yashica TL Electro X a year ago at a consignment shop for like 20 dollars and I love it. Works great my only two concerns would be I know there is said to be two lights in the viewfinder that are supposed to light up when you are either under or over exposed. I don't see either one. I put a brand new battery in and still nothing. My second concern is the decal on top of the shutter speed dial is missing making it hard to tell where my settings are at.

Where should I look for possible repair shops? Do any still exist? I look around my town and find nothing.
A Yashica TL Electro X repair shop in 2014 ? I don't think so but there are many Yashica TL Electro X cameras on ebay for less than the hour rate of any camera repair shop.
Yashica TL Electro X | eBay
01-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Just a my 2 cents here...

...viewfinder that are supposed to light up...
Likely they are incandescent bulb and you may be able to find equivalents if they are burnt out. If you are looking to DIY the repairs, you may want to google up a service manual and also verify the meter unit is not corroded as it has a physical contact switch within it. If the unit is frozen, then it is not moving the switches.

...the decal on top of the shutter speed dial is missing...
If you are not too particular... the online manual has a nice picture of the dial... if you where to copy the image and print it to a sticker stock and tack it on to the dial... markings!

01-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yashica

I found a yashica body on ebay last night for 20 dollars and bought it. It has everything I needed thanks for the advice.
01-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
A Yashica TL Electro X repair shop in 2014 ?
It is my understanding that Mark Hama is still active.

Steve
01-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
dmc
Forum Member

Also, if you put the wrong battery in, it can fry the electronics. Mea culpa!

01-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I actually contacted him, and we went back and forth in emails for a short time and I never heard from hum since.
01-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps he realized you weren't serious about paying him the $200 he charges to repair the camera you bought for $20.

Chris
01-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Perhaps he realized you weren't serious about paying him the $200 he charges to repair the camera you bought for $20.

Chris
Never even got that far to find out how much it would cost. LOL
01-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Send it to Eric for an estimate.......... of a good laugh...
02-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #12

Steve
I've sent him a couple of TL (MAT 124G and recently a MAT LM), I have 6 Yashica 35s, couple are duplicate models. I've asked if he does any repair on the Yashica 35s, no answer on that. Twin Lense, Yes; 35s Unknown. I haven't tried sending him a query for just a specific model, it always has been an added sentence on a quote for price to fix a TL, so it could be asking if he can fix what you have. I do know that what he has worked on for me, has been awesome!

I have found that there are several videos and guides online for cleaning, replacing foams (cushioning for mirror), and the light seals around the film loading door. Some shots of the electronics, however, for repair or replacing any electronics, I'd look for a model on ebay that you can swap components out.
02-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Send it to Eric for an estimate..........
I own a TL Electro X that was serviced by Eric a few years ago, around 2009, so he knows Yashicas too. Ask Eric, he may take it in.
Eric is currently looking at a Zeiss lens(Contax mount) for me and has serviced a Vivitar lens for me too in the past. So I'd say ask Eric, he may take it in.

Last edited by Moe49; 02-20-2014 at 08:58 AM.
02-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Mark Hama, Ltd. is the Eric of Yashica cameras but his process is a little different. I have spoken with his wife, who is not especially fluent in English and sounds cross, but she is just busy. I actually sent my Spotmatics to Mark before I found Eric and I was always happy with his work - but the communication is a challenge for an English-speaker.

I have an Electro GSN that I've thought of sending down to GA but it just isn't a high priority right now. As big as a KX and heavier - but a very nice lens. I have an MX and a lens to send to Eric - maybe I'll include the rangefinder on a lark. There were 8,000,000 of them made in total - shouldn't be that hard to find parts.