Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #16
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You'd probably get better reception on your Nokia forum. Most folks here are SLR users...
I never had a Nokia, my Verizon smartphone is a HTC Droid DNA. So I guess the SLR users here look for a phone booth if thy want to contact someone when away from home.

02-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
So I guess the SLR users here look for a phone booth if thy want to contact someone when away from home.
Same for most smart phone users, I guess. Using the smart phone as an actual phone takes the back seat nowadays, it seems. It's all about how they do stuff un-connected with actual telephony.

This is a bugbear of mine since I live in a rural area. I don't care if the phone has a nice camera, I'd just prefer it to get a signal reliably. Few smart phones do.
02-02-2014, 06:08 AM   #18
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Same for most smart phone users, I guess. Using the smart phone as an actual phone takes the back seat nowadays, it seems. It's all about how they do stuff un-connected with actual telephony.

This is a bugbear of mine since I live in a rural area. I don't care if the phone has a nice camera, I'd just prefer it to get a signal reliably. Few smart phones do.
Not for Verizon customers like myself since over 97% of the US population has 4G LTE coverage.
Why Verizon? - Verizon Wireless
02-02-2014, 06:21 AM   #19
Site Supporter

At the risk of driving this even further off topic, Big Red's coverage comes at a big price too. And if you live in a rural area where they're the only game in town, they know they've got you by the short ones.

02-02-2014, 06:50 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As impressive as the Nokia is, it will never replace the DSLR but there are people buying DSLR's who will probably get better results. I have had some pretty decent shots from my phones through the years but they are very limited in their usefulness. I especially liked the snide remark about tripods. I have more blurry shots from my phone and P&S because they are light and the fact that I have to hold them at arms length.
02-02-2014, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Well, our dominant carrier claims 99.3%:

"Australia's largest 3G and 4G enabled mobile network covering 99.3 per cent of the Australian population."

and then:

"Our 4G covers more than 66 per cent of the Australian population today – growing to 85 per cent of the Australian population by December 2013."

Telstra - Coverage & Networks - Mobile

But that doesn't mean your handset can still get a good quality signal. Where one user may get 5 bars of signal and 10mbps downloads, someone else may get only 1 bar and 20kbps downloads. Yet they will all have 'coverage'.

Call me old fashioned, perhaps, but I think mobile phones should work great as phones first. If they can also work as still cameras, video cameras, FM radios, GPS receivers, routers, portable PC's, and NSA citizen monitoring devices, then that's a bonus too, I guess. But it's all secondary if your signal strength is poor.
02-02-2014, 06:56 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Yes! Thank you! Living in a semi-rural area, I just really want my phone to work.

02-02-2014, 07:39 AM   #23
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
As impressive as the Nokia is, it will never replace the DSLR but there are people buying DSLR's who will probably get better results. I have had some pretty decent shots from my phones through the years but they are very limited in their usefulness. I especially liked the snide remark about tripods. I have more blurry shots from my phone and P&S because they are light and the fact that I have to hold them at arms length.
I have about 20 cameras and my Verizon 4G LTE HTC Droid DNA smartphone is the only camera I always carry with me when I leave the house. I am sure most people with a DSLR also have a smartphone since they sold a billion of them in just the last year alone.
02-06-2014, 04:49 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Yes,, its a great point and shoot for sure. But then again there are point and shoot cameras smaller than the 1020
02-06-2014, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Yes! Thank you! Living in a semi-rural area, I just really want my phone to work.
I agree. When you have spotty coverage, it really kills battery life, because your phone is searching for a tower but can't find one.
02-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #26
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Yes,, its a great point and shoot for sure. But then again there are point and shoot cameras smaller than the 1020
Not with a large LCD like the 1020 or 41mp.

Flickr Search: Nokia 1020