Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony cameras ... which is which for what?

Sony NEX 6, NEX7, A7, A7r, A6000 ... etc. This is a bit confusing.

If one takes into consideration the choices and pricing of the available lenses for those cameras, especially the stabilized ones, does it really make sense to get into another system when I already have the K7 and K5 and a fairly good selection of lenses ?

I mean: I have tried, unsuccessfully, to go into the "smaller" kits (did try the Pentax Q and adapter ... not for me) and a Nikon but none of them satisfied me in terms of image IQ at the 50mm equivalent (I'd say, 30-80 range ... sort of): portraits, scenery, some landscape, indoors stuff, buildings.
And I am also looking into (as always) a system that is "compact" enough, not necessarily super-compact like the Q but small enough to stash away in a coat pocket or a small carrying case (as a second camera).

So, I am now wondering if any of those newer Sony cameras would cut it.

Any of you here going in that direction for a small and high quality system (again, in terms of IQ) and willing to shed some light?

Cheers!

JP

02-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Banned

If you want to use your Pentax lenses on compact full frame 36mp camera that is close to the image quality of the Pentax 645D then get the A7r.

Pentax 645D vs Sony A7r :

click here for 2560x1600 size
02-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You left out the RX100 from your Sony list.

It's really worth a look if you are after compact and good IQ, even though it doesn't do interchangable lenses.

A NEX-3N with the very compact 16-50mm PZ OSS kit lens would also do the job, with a PK adapter to mount your existing Pentax glass if you aren't worried about the extra size.
02-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
If you want to use your Pentax lenses on compact full frame 36mp camera that is close to the image quality of the Pentax 645D then get the A7r.

Pentax 645D vs Sony A7r :

click here for 2560x1600 size
Well, I was thinking of using my FA Limited's (31 and 43) and my Zeiss T*Planar 85/1.4 ZK.
Then again, it would need an adapter and wouldn't this cause some loss of IQ?

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You left out the RX100 from your Sony list.

It's really worth a look if you are after compact and good IQ, even though it doesn't do interchangable lenses.

A NEX-3N with the very compact 16-50mm PZ OSS kit lens would also do the job, with a PK adapter to mount your existing Pentax glass if you aren't worried about the extra size.
A viewfinder is a must for me. I just can't get the hang of using the rear screen. I tried, believe me!
I am not worried about the extra size although it would be nice to have a camera that sits smaller than my K7 (second body).

JP

Edit: Just took a look at prices ... ouch! for the A7r ... around $2,600, which would take me back considering an A6000.
then again, how about the IQ of this camera? No one knows for sure except a few reviews here and there.
I usually take reviews (from DPR for instance) with a grain of salt.

Last edited by jpzk; 02-17-2014 at 08:59 PM.
02-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Well, I was thinking of using my FA Limited's (31 and 43) and my Zeiss T*Planar 85/1.4 ZK.
Then again, it would need an adapter and wouldn't this cause some loss of IQ?

A viewfinder is a must for me. I just can't get the hang of using the rear screen. I tried, believe me!
I am not worried about the extra size although it would be nice to have a camera that sits smaller than my K7 (second body).

JP
No loss of IQ. There is no glass in the adapters. Check out the various Pentax lens on FF or Sony threads around the forums for examples.
03-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am still looking into this A7 ... although quite pricey, seems to be quite a good camera.
On the other hand, it also seems to take a bit of "know how" and "learning curve" to get acquainted with the use of non-Sony glass.

Good to know that there is no loss of IQ though.

JP
03-02-2014, 03:11 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You won't find a cheaper full frame, JP. The adapters are just hollow metal tubes.

But be aware that your Pentax glass will all become manual focus and aperture in it.

03-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #8
Banned

I am still looking into this A7 ... although quite pricey, seems to be quite a good camera.
On the other hand, it also seems to take a bit of "know how" and "learning curve" to get acquainted with the use of non-Sony glass.

Good to know that there is no loss of IQ though.

JP
If you just want to get your feet wet using Pentax glass on a low cost mirrorless camera I would say the Sony NEX-3N with 16-50mm (24-75mm FF eqiv) PZ OSS kit lens would be your best bet since it sells for $299.99 with free shipping on Amazon.
Amazon.com: Sony NEX-3NL/B Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera Kit (Black): SONY: Camera & Photo

B&H has it for $309 with free shipping.
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Mirrorless Digital Camera NEX3NL/B B&H Photo

Last edited by jogiba; 03-02-2014 at 07:18 AM.
03-17-2014, 05:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have the same issue about viewfinder. I had a Q for a month or two to be used as a camera for family/children pictures but could not get to grips composing without viewfinder. I'll happily shoot some subject matters with the screen but prefer to have camera mounted on tripod if composing this way.

I've now sold the Q and picked up a NEX-7 instead (the 7 has EVF). Loving how compact and light this thing is. It wont replace my K-5 but as an everyday camera when I'm out with the family you cant beat it. Great thing about the A7/A7r release is a lot of people are upgrading from the Nex-7 so these can be had for real bargain prices (approx £350-£400 on eBay UK).

JP

Edit: Just took a look at prices ... ouch! for the A7r ... around $2,600, which would take me back considering an A6000.
then again, how about the IQ of this camera? No one knows for sure except a few reviews here and there.
I usually take reviews (from DPR for instance) with a grain of salt.