Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon D4s officially announced

It's only been a month since CES and Nikon has launched their new flagship, so I hope that Pentax follows suit with the new 645D!

While this news is perhaps not of interest to everyone here on PF, the D4s does feature ISO 409,600, which is completely crazy. This may be the new king of low-light cameras, but it's not cheap!

Nikon D4s Officially Announced - Nikon News - News - Front Page Posts - NikonForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-25-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Powerful camera, but seems only an incremental upgrade - much the same AF, same metering system, some extra tweaks all round. If I was a D4 user, I probably wouldn't rush to upgrade.

Interesting that they are sticking to 16MP too. I guess it's kind of a sweet spot for FF low-light/sports performance. And probably all their pro users were telling them they really didn't need any more megapixels to do their job.
02-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Powerful camera, but seems only an incremental upgrade - much the same AF, same metering system, some extra tweaks all round. If I was a D4 user, I probably wouldn't rush to upgrade.

Interesting that they are sticking to 16MP too. I guess it's kind of a sweet spot for FF low-light/sports performance. And probably all their pro users were telling them they really didn't need any more megapixels to do their job.
I think that working with very large files slows pros down. It would also require a much bigger continuous buffer. If you think about it, even though the D4 has a max buffer size of 176 raw files, that buffer will still fill up in a matter of seconds at max FPS, and that's assuming you have the latest XQD card.

I also don't think that any D4 users will upgrade, but it does look like the D4s has seen some pretty significant video and live improvements for those who were complaining about those aspects of the camera. I wouldn't be surprised to see those features carried over to a D800 successor at Photokina.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2014, 01:02 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Nikon has also finally included a smaller RAW SIZE S in the D4s which I think is around 4MP. This will help even more with speed, especially when you know you don't need large output sizes.