Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2014, 05:26 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony A7 with Pentax Lenses: A Review

We've just posted an article about how the Sony A7 handles with adapted Pentax lenses, and how its image quality compares to that of the K-3:

Sony A7 with Pentax Full-frame Glass - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Enjoy. Was a fun read for me but I think the wait continues on for a genuine Pentax FF!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Whoah, I'll have to bookmark this one and return when I have more time. Sounds very interesting!
02-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting.

The comparisons of high iso performance don't seem to indicate a huge difference between the A7 and K3.
02-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

That is the first time I've heard anyone say manually focusing a lens on a MILC of any kind was difficult. Didn't you use the manual focus magnifier?

02-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I find it interesting that Sony makes the best sensors in the business, but doesn't seem to know how to implement them properly in their own cameras. Sony cameras pretty consistently perform worse in high iso and/or dynamic range than their Pentax and Nikon counterparts using the same (or very similar) sensors, even after factoring out things like SLT.
02-27-2014, 10:15 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
That is the first time I've heard anyone say manually focusing a lens on a MILC of any kind was difficult. Didn't you use the manual focus magnifier?
Same here. So I went ahead and tried it, and sure enough even with focus peaking on the A7 (in the viewfinder), it was much harder to nail the focus than with an OVF on a Pentax.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Same here. So I went ahead and tried it, and sure enough even with focus peaking on the A7 (in the viewfinder), it was much harder to nail the focus than with an OVF on a Pentax.
I have more keepers with NEX EVF than OVF. Not only I find it accurate but much quicker to nail focus. Here is what I do.

1) Use focus peaking for coarse focusing
2) now use focus magnifier for fine focusing and you will find it absolutely superior to OVF as far as manual focusing goes.

02-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Can't totally agree here.

Yes, if relying on focus peaking only, its less accurate and more like getting near the area of focus.
I do think this feature is more useful for f2.8 and up and less for faster lenses.
But if the working distance is far enough (eg. >=4m ), the DOF even on a fast lens increases and often, peaking 'homes in' on the subject faster and due to the larger DOF, it works faster and well enough.
It also depends on the amount of contrast on the subject.
So its a bit of a YES, and sometimes a NO

I can't agree that the EVF by itself cannot do accurate focus.
Its as good as using my Canon 5D with a precision EES focusing screen. (and thats already far better than a stock Pentax screen or split screen )
At worst, I'd say that the accuracy between the EVF and the EES screen is about the same and largely dependant on the final decision of releasing the shutter by the user (as in all manual focus)

Add in peaking to home in fast + magnification for better accuracy, and to me, its better than the OVF for manual lenses.
The user is supposed to 'mix and match' the 3 options for every situation.
Maybe 'clunky' in that sense though...

Last thing, I did not find anything 31mm and above to be less sharp on the edges.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/246917-does-my-m42-...ploration.html

Otherwise, pretty fair assessment.
I get the feeling that the comparison for accuracy/speed is vs AF, which it obviously looses out for speed and consistency (if user pressed for time)
If its A7 vs any MF camera, I think its as good and with magnification, its better.

Last edited by pinholecam; 02-28-2014 at 02:16 AM.
02-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #9
osv
Veteran Member

something is clearly wrong there... did you use both stages of magnify? if so, the camera probably wasn't setup correctly... i don't use focus peaking at all, because magnify is sooo much better.

that magnify functionality completely blows away any ovf that's ever been put on a camera... it's just that good, and for me, it works fine in low light conditions, without having to open and close the aperture to increase the available light... because the evf gains up the exposure, as i think that you indicated in the review?

in extreme low-light conditions, the lcd on the back of the camera will even go to the extent of lowering the framerate of the picture it's displaying, in order to allow for more gain in the picture.

1)focus magnif. time set to: no limit
2)peaking level set to: high
3)live view display set to: setting effect ON
4)long exposure NR set to: OFF
5)high iso NR set to: OFF
6)jpeg settings effect the amount of focus peaking visibility
7)some people even go to the extent of recording raw plus jpeg, but with the jpeg recording monochrome images, because focus peaking is apparently more visible that way.
02-28-2014, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #10

I would like to see this review with an A7R.
03-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I agree with the others, the focus peaking with magnify on my Nex 5n and 6 blows away the ovf focusing on even my K3, Also the K3's focus peaking, sadly, is not as good as focus peaking/magnify function in the Nex. If one talks about AF, then clearly the K3 is better. First time i tried focus peaking, i got poor results. But with experience and reading some of the tips on dpreview, it works very well with the DA-300, the 50-135, and several manual lenses. Don't have the A7 so can't speak to it.
03-03-2014, 05:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Interesting.

The comparisons of high iso performance don't seem to indicate a huge difference between the A7 and K3.
Indeed. So I wonder why the DXO ISO scores are so different between the A7 and the K-3 (2248 vs 1216) ?
03-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

On the other hand

Most off base conclusions I have seen in a long time...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
03-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Indeed. So I wonder why the DXO ISO scores are so different between the A7 and the K-3 (2248 vs 1216) ?
I have no idea. But the photos look pretty close at the same iso to my eye, both with the flower and the strip mall shot. I definitely can see more shadow noise with the K3 photos, but it isn't as dramatic a difference as I thought I would see.

---------- Post added 03-03-14 at 03:56 PM ----------

I would say the reviewer was not someone who was a Sony-phile and certainly not someone who had extensive experience using NEX series cameras. On the other hand, everyone saying that focusing is a piece of cake, are folks who have used Sony cameras a lot and are comfortable with the focus peaking and zooming features.

I think it is clear that any system can be learned and that manual focus with Sony cameras is easily possible, but maybe not as intuitive as using an OVF.

At the same time, the interesting thing in the review to me, was the comparison the the K3 and A7 shots which just did not show dramatic differences.
03-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian

A quote from your link, "Sounds to me like he is just trying to discredit the A7/A7R, or not taking the time to learn how to focus it properly." Reading it as a PF member, sadly, I detected that tone as well. No mention of the focus magnifier aid was even mentioned which I think is negligent. I use Pentax-M lenses on my NEX-6, which apparently has a similar (same?) EVF with magnification features, and I have little trouble getting what I need in focus... if I have the time.