Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spade111 Quote
I've got actually a nikon 20mm aF-d f2.8. Not too expensively, pretty decent, has aF, but not in league with the zeiss I'm sure.
Yes, I have the 20/2.8D as well. Good bang for your buck lens. I wouldn't hesitate using it on the Df especially for the size.

03-08-2014, 01:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Great pictures on this thread...and some that you can't really get with an APS-C ( here comes the folks that say they can replicate those shots with a crop sensor, then will post a pic which almost, kinda, not really looks the same)
03-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #18
Banned

It's amazing people would pay $2,746.95 for a nostalgia DSLR body with entry level specs like a 1/4000 sec max shutter speed.
03-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also Byrd, since you've had the zeiss stuff, have you considered picking up any of the zf.2 lenses? A few of them look quite attractive in terms of rendering and I'm thinking they might be fun to play with. They certainly have the build of the pentax limiteds, though I think they are a bit slower. Were the nikon lenses overall better that you chose not to go that way?
Hello Spade-

Regarding the Zeiss ZKs: I thoroughly enjoyed the Zeiss lenses on my Pentax cameras. At one time I had four of them, the 18mm, the 35mm, the 85mm, and the 100mm. I have sold all except the 85mm f1.4 (my favourite). I also owned all three of the FA limiteds. I sold the 31mm (but I still have the other two).

I greatly preferred the Zeiss 35mm f2 over the 31mm FA limited. It was sharper, with better colour saturation and micro contrast. However..... it is a fairly large lens; and it is heavy. (And, of course, it's manual focus.) My initial plan was to take the proceeds from the Zeiss 35 ZK and purchase the Nikon version. (I still might do this.) I might also purchase at some point the Zeiss 100mm in Nikon mount. However... I have been so happy with the results the Nikkors are providing that I might not walk down the Zeiss path for some time.

I have to admit that I am enjoying the fast and precise autofocus capabilites of the Df with Nikkors. And, though I'm still in 'honeymoon' phase with my three Nikkor lenses, I don't really think that the Zeiss have much (other than build quality) over them. The 135 f2DC is probably the finest portrait lens I have ever used. The 85mm f1.8 is a sharper lens than my Zeiss 85 f1.4 (a difficult lens to use because of focus shift), and the exotic 50mm f1.2 is.. well... a lens that provides a rendering that is unique. (This is, like the Zeiss 85mm, a demanding lens to focus accurately.)

A 35mm lens will be my next purchase. And my choice is to spend $1,000 (plus) for the Zeiss or around $350 for the Nikon 35 f2 D. (I don't want or need a large--and expensive--f1.4 wide angle.) Given my results with the 85mm D lens, I leaning heavily towards getting the auto-focus 35 D. For my purposes, it will be--though not as good as the Zeiss--still, good enough.

In summary: Yes, the Zeiss lenses are of very high quality. But *if* they are optically superior to the Nikkors (some are, some aren't, I think) , it is only by a small amount. They are heavy, expensive, and manual focus only. (It is their build quality that is truly impressive.) I'll only be purchasing the Zeiss in those focal lengths that really matter to me.

Byrd-2020
(p.s. I'll try to get some shots with the 50mm f1.2 up shortly.)

03-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Byrd, it's nice to get some first hand reports on the zeiss stuff - I haven't actually handled any of them yet. I'm also glad to hear that the nikkors are that impressive. The 135 is that good? I'm kinda pumped to get out and find a few old lenses that I will be able to run without worry. I might see if the camera shop has anything in stock (zeiss or AI-s) that I might play with, and I'll upload some pics when I can.
03-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
It's amazing people would pay $2,746.95 for a nostalgia DSLR body with entry level specs like a 1/4000 sec max shutter speed.
If you already own another FF Nikon, as in my case, it is cheaper than getting a second camera in another brand. The reason I have two cameras is I don't want to always shoot 36MP on my D800.
03-08-2014, 08:31 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm... I'm still amazed that I was able to get a camera with a D4 sensor in a body half the size/weight of the D4 for less than half the price. "Nostalgia" design or not--this camera represents, to my thinking, a good value.

By the way, when was the last time you missed a shot because you did not have at your disposal a 1/8000th shutter speed?

03-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #23
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like to pick up and play with the Df, and it sort of encourages me to take pictures with it.
There is something to be said for enjoying style.
I think that is the "meat" of your post, and I fully understand it! There are many of us looking for more than raw photography and "serious business", we are looking for a little fun back in our shooting. If style makes that happen, and the camera works at a level that is acceptable. it doesn't have to have every bell and whistle, but it does have to have style and the ability to draw you to use it.
For me, the X-T1 answers that call, although it does not make a lick of sense if it didn't have style....Are we superficial? Maybe, but if it makes us want to shoot...and have fun doing it..what's the harm? (Well, maybe Mrs Rupert thinking I have gone totally insane, but that's her problem, she should have known that ages ago!)

Best Regards!
03-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I think that is the "meat" of your post, and I fully understand it! There are many of us looking for more than raw photography and "serious business", we are looking for a little fun back in our shooting. If style makes that happen, and the camera works at a level that is acceptable. it doesn't have to have every bell and whistle, but it does have to have style and the ability to draw you to use it.
For me, the X-T1 answers that call, although it does not make a lick of sense if it didn't have style....Are we superficial? Maybe, but if it makes us want to shoot...and have fun doing it..what's the harm? (Well, maybe Mrs Rupert thinking I have gone totally insane, but that's her problem, she should have known that ages ago!)

Best Regards!
Thanks Rupert - I think that you're just about right - and I'm in no way offended or amazed that you prefer the X-T1 to anything that I shoot with BTW - Mrs. Spade111 is the insane one. I hope she doesn't read this thread.

Your preference makes total sense - that camera is awesome to have in hand, and feels like a nice brick. I'm going to sell my D600 as soon as its back from the shutter repair as the d600 will get absolutely zero use. (on a side note - my d600 didn't get too much trouble from the oil issue. I had about ... actually not totally sure how many frames through it, and not even a smudge. Maybe 5-10k? A bit of dust maybe - but the arctic butterfly takes care of that np). As much as I hate to sell camera gear - i hate more to have it sit around the house all day. I think my next acquisition will be something from the fuji camp - but it might be the x100s. I think it has the same sensor as the X-T1? - or something similar?
03-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
For me, the X-T1 answers that call...
Rupert, you have to have internet approval of your camera purchase. And if someone doesn't like your choice, you can't get it.

On a more serious note, I've been reading you talking about getting the XT1. I say go for it regardless of what anyone else thinks. It has been getting good reviews so I don't see how you could go wrong.
03-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Rupert, you have to have internet approval of your camera purchase. And if someone doesn't like your choice, you can't get it.

On a more serious note, I've been reading you talking about getting the XT1. I say go for it regardless of what anyone else thinks. It has been getting good reviews so I don't see how you could go wrong.
An XT-1 with the new Fuji 50/1.2 looks an interesting combo.
03-29-2014, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Digital SLR cameras irritate the hell out of me.

I am not some technophobe I embrace technology and was a computer technician. Digital SLR cameras have controls hidden in menus and quirky control rings that you have to twist while holding other buttons down, they often reset themselves when you change things like lenses so you have to go through the rigmarole again, and to check the ISO or the aperture or shutter speed to know what its doing you have to squint in a menu or similar.

It all serves to interfere with the clean swift and obvious operation a film SLR offered.

The offering of a dozen unwanted options including video mode when such options just aren't part of image making is a disaster for productivity. All these unwanted options fight for space in buttons and menus. What a dogs dinner of a camera a dSLR relly is.

Im no newby, I have used and was productive on many film SLRs back in the day, zorki, periflex, exa, edixa, Miranda, canon, olympus, yashica, etc, I still own yashica rangefinders and yashica, edixa, miranda, and sigma film SLRs along with TLR and 5x4. which I use.

In digital I have owned Panasonic bridge, canon, Nikon, sigma dSLRs and been productive on those.

I know whats important in image making and what you need your photographic tool to do.

I can say from personal experience and preference the Nikon df is without doubt the right product.

Its not nostalgia, a camera is simply a lens plus a sensitive medium plus a means of focussing, metering, setting aperture and shutter speed, that's all, the simpler and more reliably it does it the better and the more productive you are.

Its clear to me that the clean controls and simple no messing controls of the df do not get in the way of shooting, hallelujah.

Also, the images im seeing from the df are filmlike, and additionally offer the lack of grain/noise we like digital for.

This is the way a digital camera should be and hasn't been since Kodak folded its pro dSLR operations.

Look at a film SLR user operate, compose and shoot, look around for the next image, compose and shoot.

Look at a dSLR user, fiddle around, compose and shoot, dick around, dick around some more, fiddle around,

I can only hope that this camera is the first of many like it from Nikon canon pentax Olympus and the rest.

We deserve it.
03-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does that mean you are amazed? Or are you simply saying that you think those who purchased the Df are stupid? Now, I don't know you outside of your occasional trolling on this site, but I DO know Tuco and he is VERY capable of doing a reasonable technical assessment of the products he purchases. I have never seen any evidence that he is even remotely stupid. Of course, it is always possible that the other Df owners on this thread are the stupid ones and Tuco is the exception that proves the rule. Nah...no chance.

So...are you amazed yet...or just trolling?

Steve

(...not particularly amazed and not particularly stupid...no, I don't own a Df, but it is likely that my next camera purchase will be one that jogiba disapproves of...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-31-2014 at 04:57 PM.
03-31-2014, 05:29 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
it is likely that my next camera purchase will be one that jogiba disapproves of
That's as good a camera purchasing guide as anything else I've seen .

/troll
03-31-2014, 05:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Does that mean you are amazed? Or are you simply saying that you think those who purchased the Df are stupid? Now, I don't know you outside of your occasional trolling on this site, but I DO know Tuco and he is VERY capable of doing a reasonable technical assessment of the products he purchases. I have never seen any evidence that he is even remotely stupid. Of course, it is always possible that the other Df owners on this thread are the stupid ones and Tuco is the exception that proves the rule. Nah...no chance.

So...are you amazed yet...or just trolling?

Steve

(...not particularly amazed and not particularly stupid...no, I don't own a Df, but it is likely that my next camera purchase will be one that jogiba disapproves of...)
One guy posts pictures that show impeccable timing, subtle mood, beautiful colors and perfectly composed.

The other posts pictures of cameras and gadgets.

I know which one I listen to.