Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2014, 11:54 PM   #31
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Does that mean you are amazed? Or are you simply saying that you think those who purchased the Df are stupid?
lol... joe wasn't the only person who criticized the 1/4000th shutter speed:

"The top shutter speed is only 1/4,000s, where the D4 will go to 1/8,000s. Because of this and the minimum aperture being f/22, I was unable to complete our full series of ISO tests, because as I approached the top sensitivity -- a whopping ISO 204,800, as also found on the D4 -- I was unable to achieve optimal exposure. This is only a small gripe that will not affect many shots, but it is still worth noting."
Nikon Df Review - Overview

04-01-2014, 04:45 AM   #32
Banned

Does that mean you are amazed? Or are you simply saying that you think those who purchased the Df are stupid? Now, I don't know you outside of your occasional trolling on this site, but I DO know Tuco and he is VERY capable of doing a reasonable technical assessment of the products he purchases. I have never seen any evidence that he is even remotely stupid. Of course, it is always possible that the other Df owners on this thread are the stupid ones and Tuco is the exception that proves the rule. Nah...no chance.

So...are you amazed yet...or just trolling?

Steve

(...not particularly amazed and not particularly stupid...no, I don't own a Df, but it is likely that my next camera purchase will be one that jogiba disapproves of...)
For the price of the Df body I could get the 36mp Sony A7r with 1/8000 sec shutter , 1080p60 video mode, and a great Zeiss lens that has image quality as good as the Pentax 645D that works with every Pentax SLR/DSLR lens ever made.
04-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
For the price of the Df body I could get the 36mp Sony A7r with 1/8000 sec shutter , 1080p60 video mode, and a great Zeiss lens that has image quality as good as the Pentax 645D that works with every Pentax SLR/DSLR lens ever made.
Cool! You don't own one, so I guess your choice is hypothetical and so is your amazement...

Yawn...

Steve

(...Df is not on my short list, but then again, neither is the A7r...no short list...no money...)

---------- Post added 04-01-14 at 08:34 AM ----------

In the interest of balance, I will expose my own naivety and stupidity. I own a Chamonix 4x5 field camera (see it HERE) with the following features:
  • Manual focus
  • Manual exposure
  • No metering system
  • Zero megapixels
  • No body seals
  • No EVF, uses archaic and incredibly dim groundglass focal plane viewing system
  • Video not supported
  • Requires leaf shutter lenses
  • Frame rate 0.25 fps once focus is attained and sensor loaded (burst until available film holders are exhausted)
  • Even lacks hot shoe
  • Price for a one lens kit (purchased new) is about the same as a Sony A7r with Zeiss Sonnar T* 55/1.8
And to make matters worse, the kit requires a small backpack to haul, cannot be used off-tripod, and takes about ten minutes to set up and compose the shot.

I myself am amazed that I own such a ridiculous excuse for a photographic tool. About the only saving grace is that it is better with ultra-wides than the A7r and has better movements for perspective and focus control.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-01-2014 at 09:04 AM.
04-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #34
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In the interest of balance, I will expose my own naivety and stupidity. I own a Chamonix 4x5 field camera
wow! that thing is awesome.

no need for film hassles, just do this:

How to: Developing a tilt/shift system for 35mm digital camera based on 4x5 view camera

04-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote

How to: Developing a tilt/shift system for 35mm digital camera based on 4x5 view camera
Yep, I have seen that article before. There are also a few commercial products that do essentially the same thing. The main problems are image circle and lens flange registration distance. Both issues can be addressed by using medium format optics as in the article, though you sort of get cheated at the wide end due to crop factor. The most obvious use case is for tabletop and small product photography as in the article. For those tasks, the amount of extension required for focus is usually enough to actually exercise the movements. The fountain pen example photo is stellar.

Steve
04-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The Df is over priced. But compared to the lens investment I have, it doesn't mean much. Now if you wanted to capture some fast, spontaneous action with that A7r, how much extra would you pay to upgrade its rather average AF system? I'd think a faster focusing system gets more use everyday than a top end of 1/8000 shutter. I take it you do a lot of 1/8000 pictures because you harp on it all the time. My D800 has yet to shoot a 1/8000 shot. And no video is a feature not a problem!

---------- Post added 04-02-14 at 14:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote

That's the rub. You find film a hassle. While those of us still shooing it do it as a labor of love. And we get the "real film look" too.

Last edited by tuco; 04-02-2014 at 02:58 PM.
04-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The Df is over priced. But compared to the lens investment I have, it doesn't mean much. Now if you wanted to capture some fast, spontaneous action with that A7r, how much extra would you pay to upgrade its rather average AF system? I'd think a faster focusing system gets more use everyday than a top end of 1/8000 shutter. I take it you do a lot of 1/8000 pictures because you harp on it all the time. My D800 has yet to shoot a 1/8000 shot. And no video is a feature not a problem!

---------- Post added 04-02-14 at 14:55 ----------

That's the rub. You find film a hassle. While those of us still shooing it do it as a labor of love. And we get the "real film look" too.
Joe doesn't take pictures...he buys cameras, lenses, adapters and reads online reviews and specs. You know, a true modern day photographer.

04-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Joe doesn't take pictures...he buys cameras, lenses, adapters and reads online reviews and specs.
He actually buys the stuff at some point? I thought he was just a contrarian pundit.

Steve