Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon 1 V3

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

There is a newcomer in the mirrorless land: Nikon 1 V3 offers improved AF system and faster continuous shooting: Digital Photography Review

Just for teaser, how do you think this will compete with the Sony A7/A7r ? Of course, there seems to be an agreement here on this forum as to the easiness of mounting Pentax glass to the Sony but I thought of throwing that in to get some comments.

No tests available yet as per DPR (for what it's worth at DPR).

JP

03-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
There is a newcomer in the mirrorless land: Nikon 1 V3 offers improved AF system and faster continuous shooting: Digital Photography Review

Just for teaser, how do you think this will compete with the Sony A7/A7r ? Of course, there seems to be an agreement here on this forum as to the easiness of mounting Pentax glass to the Sony but I thought of throwing that in to get some comments.

No tests available yet as per DPR (for what it's worth at DPR).

JP
They won't compete with each other at all. The A7 series is a full frame camera with OK frame rate, decent auto focus, but nothing earth shattering. Its claim to fame is that it has a full frame sensor in a pretty small body. On the other hand, the V3 is a small sensored camera with a lot faster auto focus and frame rate. It should be easier for the V3 to auto focus, because it will have more depth of field in general.
03-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
They won't compete with each other at all. The A7 series is a full frame camera with OK frame rate, decent auto focus, but nothing earth shattering. Its claim to fame is that it has a full frame sensor in a pretty small body. On the other hand, the V3 is a small sensored camera with a lot faster auto focus and frame rate. It should be easier for the V3 to auto focus, because it will have more depth of field in general.
I was comparing apples to oranges, obviously!
I thought it was an interesting camera.

The Sony A7 looks more interesting though, as it allows for using Pentax glass on a "full frame" (did I say that word ?? !! ).
I was considering this Sony until I read about this infamous "light leak" ...

And as always, I am looking for a great IQ'd small camera with a viewfinder.
Being able to use my Pentax glass would be a plus.

Anyway, that was my "find of the day".

JP
03-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm actually sorta interested in the Nikon J/V series ever since they came out with their high FPS burst rate and fast autofocus. The only thing I didn't like was that their form isn't very great for hand holding - I'm used to having a nice grip on my cameras (even the k-01 had a little bit of bulge for my hand).

Having used a point and shoot for many years, and having held my Pentax MX film camera that is flat on the right hand side, I really dislike not having a grip shaped into the body.

03-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Just for teaser, how do you think this will compete with the Sony A7/A7r ?
Nikon is selling this V1 with a kit lens, EVF accessory, and battery grip for $1,200. For three, four hundred dollars more you could get an A7 with a much larger sensor. The V1 would make a nice consumer-grade camera if Nikon didn't have to charge so much for it. Maybe a few years down the road when Nikon can produce this for less cost, this will make for a viable consumer system.
03-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
Banned

Nikon 1 V3 with 1" sensor cost $400 more than the Sony a6000 with larger APS-C sensor

QuoteQuote:
Considering that you can buy a Sony a6000 with a 16-50mm power zoom lens, built-in EVF, and similar Hybrid AF system for $400/£390/€450 less, the V3 doesn't seem like a great value.
Nikon 1 V3: a quick summary: Digital Photography Review
Am I missing something here?: Digital Photography Review

03-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, the A6000 seems to be a better deal than the V1. If anything, the only things selling it would be the high framerate, the super slomo capability, the slightly smaller size (and better looks, tbh), and the brand name.

On the other hand, there are V1s or J1s being sold for $250 now, so maybe in a year or so it'll become attractive at that price.

03-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Vaguely interesting, but gees $1200 can by some pretty impressive gear in today's market. Methinks Nikon will struggle to shift these.
03-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the new Nikon 1 V3 is an interesting concept. There seems to be a lot packed into that camera! High frame rate, seemingly good IQ, and decent lenses make for a promising line. It sounds like it is missing some power user features when you consider how much horsepower that camera packs.

I wish there was some way to integrated the EVF into the body vs. having a separate accessory. Add in the EVF and the grip and the package doesn't seem so small anymore.

Looking at this camera I think this is what the Q could have been but I also see the V3 as a "me too" product compared to the Lumix line of u4/3 cameras. If I were Pentax I would not try to make a V3. There would have to be a new path carved out. I'm not sure what it is though. Would I look back to the Auto 110 for some heritage ideas? Skip the mirror box, obviously, but what could Pentax do to the Q line to offer an alternative.

And the $1200 isn't going to work. There will be early adopters who love gadgets and Nikons but that price tag is a huge hurdle for the broader market.
03-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Nikon is selling this V1 with a kit lens, EVF accessory, and battery grip for $1,200. For three, four hundred dollars more you could get an A7 with a much larger sensor. The V1 would make a nice consumer-grade camera if Nikon didn't have to charge so much for it. Maybe a few years down the road when Nikon can produce this for less cost, this will make for a viable consumer system.
Where did you see a Sony A7 for $1600.00 ??
Agreed on that for the Sony's larger sensor --- and that it takes my good FF glass.

JP

---------- Post added 03-13-14 at 05:58 PM ----------

I've never thought of looking into this A6000 ... interesting.
Thanks for heads-up!

JP

---------- Post added 03-13-14 at 06:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I think the new Nikon 1 V3 is an interesting concept. There seems to be a lot packed into that camera! High frame rate, seemingly good IQ, and decent lenses make for a promising line. It sounds like it is missing some power user features when you consider how much horsepower that camera packs.

I wish there was some way to integrated the EVF into the body vs. having a separate accessory. Add in the EVF and the grip and the package doesn't seem so small anymore.

Looking at this camera I think this is what the Q could have been but I also see the V3 as a "me too" product compared to the Lumix line of u4/3 cameras. If I were Pentax I would not try to make a V3. There would have to be a new path carved out. I'm not sure what it is though. Would I look back to the Auto 110 for some heritage ideas? Skip the mirror box, obviously, but what could Pentax do to the Q line to offer an alternative.

And the $1200 isn't going to work. There will be early adopters who love gadgets and Nikons but that price tag is a huge hurdle for the broader market.
Some very good points in your comments.
Thanks!

JP
03-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm a fan of the 1 series Nikons and I didn't expect to be. I have fairly big hands and find it ok for handling. The V3 looks great and I like the articulated screen, it actually feels like an enhanced J rather than a V with Nikon dispensing with the built in viewfinder. The starting price seriously needs to drop though.
03-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #12
Banned

Where did you see a Sony A7 for $1600.00 ??
Agreed on that for the Sony's larger sensor --- and that it takes my good FF glass.
Sony Alpha A7R Mirrorless Digital Camera New New USA | eBay

No joke: Sony A7r for $1,437.00! | sonyalpharumors
03-13-2014, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I've used the V1 on a number of my motorcycle assignments and have produced print-worthy photos. On my last trip to VT it was the A-cam, and responsible for the majority of photos in the published story. Here are my notes on that experience:

What Blog is This?: Nikon 1 V1-Good Enough to be the A Cam?

The V3 seems to address my desire for more megapickles (the V1 has 10), and it seems to have to have some additional tweaks which could prove useful in the field. Will the A7 or A6000 have better ultimate image quality? In dim light? Certainly. In good light and without pixel peeping? Maybe, maybe not. Will the V3 get shots of moving subjects that the A7, A6000, and other mirrorless cameras will miss? Most definitely.

At the end of the day, image quality is not the only determinant of the value of an image.
03-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've always been a fan of the Nikon 1 series, and this is represents another refinement of the unique features of this line. It seems to me Nikon is positioning the Nikon 1 series to complement their DSLRs - if I was a Nikon user I would be tempted to throw this into the same bag as a D800E or D4S and use it as a second system for special shots.

I agree that the price seems high compared to the Sony A6000, but then the V3 is superior to the A6000 as an action oriented fast camera.

I don't like the Micro SD slot.

Curiously, I am now tempted to buy the older model - V2 - now selling for around $600. The older model has an intergrated viewfinder, and also comes in white. High ISO performance is mediocre, but if I restrict it to daylight action shots that may not matter.
03-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #15
Banned

The V3 would be much more interesting to me if it shot DCI cinematic 4K (4096x2160) video and 12fps stills like the new m4/3rd Panasonic GH4 instead of just 1080p60 and 20fps stills.