Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #16
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a feeling that MF will get more popular (or less niche) in the next few years. As FF becomes more of the norm in DSLRs, a certain type of pro will want to distinguish themselves in terms of the equipment they use, not just in terms of skill. So I'm not surprised that Sony would use their sensor in a high-end camera of some kind. There have also been rumours of Canon working on MF. But I think its more likely that Fujifilm will skip FF and introduce an MF system with an X-trans version of the Sony sensor. MF is in their heritage and they still make film MF cameras.

03-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
an MF system with an X-trans version of the Sony sensor.
X-trans will not work for MF: it is the niche for people who know what they want and it will be too hard to feed this fuji BS about X-Trans as it was for niche of clueless amateurs.
03-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #18
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Of course, Sony can reverse engineer or license an existing legacy MF mount and have backward compatibility to a large base of lenses that way
It would be great if it used adapters like the A7/A7r but for MF lenses like the 645 and 6x7 Pentax lenses.
03-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So there's going to be a large-sensor P&S from Sony. Sounds neat. Maybe they could put a printer in it and it could spit out pictures like a Polaroid.
Far more interesting to me is the bind this puts "FF Advocates" into. Since 135 format waxed when 120 format waned, does this mean "full frame" digital is now dead before it got out of the water? Or is this MF not going to be good enough because its actually a "cropped" medium format at under half the real-estate of "medium format"? I seem to recall way more 110 (and smaller formats) cameras on the road from 1980 to 1995.

I don't have much ammo, but if you're the "It has to be FULL FRAME" guy, I'm shooting all of it at your feet.

03-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
So there's going to be a large-sensor P&S from Sony. Sounds neat. Maybe they could put a printer in it and it could spit out pictures like a Polaroid.
Far more interesting to me is the bind this puts "FF Advocates" into. Since 135 format waxed when 120 format waned, does this mean "full frame" digital is now dead before it got out of the water? Or is this MF not going to be good enough because its actually a "cropped" medium format at under half the real-estate of "medium format"? I seem to recall way more 110 (and smaller formats) cameras on the road from 1980 to 1995.

I don't have much ammo, but if you're the "It has to be FULL FRAME" guy, I'm shooting all of it at your feet.
This is a basic market management tactic. If the big players fragment the market by slicing it into more formats the little guys can't get enough share in any one format to compete.

Sort of like Tide. How many diffeent sized boxes and fragrances and concentrations of liquid Tide are there?

So many that Surf can't even get another size on the grocery store shelf. - and that's all that matters.

Sony sure is acting like they think Ricoh is a threat long-term.
03-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #21
Pentaxian

And so does Canon, who's planning to enter the surveillance camera business.
03-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And so does Canon, who's planning to enter the surveillance camera business.
That's a growth market.

03-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #23
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That's a growth market.
And Sony knows that.
Sony | Product Catalog Security Systems
03-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
And Sony knows that.
As does Ricoh/Pentax, of course:

Security - Security Systems - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.
http://www.ricoh.com/fa_security/support/download/pdf/Security_en.pdf
Attached Images

03-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #25
Banned

Original Poster

03-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Why not? It seems they want to have a piece of everything in the photo market so it wouldn't surprise me at all. They are also the top dog in the sensor market so it's also conceivable that they are designing and building a MF sensor for someone else.
03-26-2014, 04:38 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Sony is actually quite outspoken of their desires to enter the high end market: Sony Korea slides unveils the plan to focus on the “High-End” market! | sonyalpharumors

Or is a Sony Medium Format not considered high-end, just because its Sony?
03-26-2014, 05:52 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Yes, they were speaking about high end A and E mount cameras. They're already there, but they want to "focus" on it (i.e. there isn't much margin in entry levels sold at discount prices).
You're missing the point that DMF is too niche for Sony. I really don't see them in anything that's not a volume market... and I'm talking about consumer products here.
03-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Wasn't FF mirrorless a niche nobody was supposed to be interested in too? LOL!
03-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Taking advantage of Ricoh's recent period of delay while financially restructuring and then rebuilding Pentax's production processes? Is there roon for four dSLR makers? Is there room four three system makers and an adapter platform?

Just askin'

Then again, April/May is right around the corner. Then July/August. Then Photokina. Then October/November.