Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #1

Generic question about image stabilization feature

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello. On my Samsung 10.2mp SL420 compact digital there are optical and digital image stabilization settings.
I understand the difference as well as the minor and relative disadvantages of them at this level of camera. But I'm
unclear on when/where it might be appropriate to turn both/either one off (there is a setting that utilizes both at once).

If, as I've read, these settings introduce very minor degradation of the image quality (notwithstanding the major impact of motion blur when handheld) would it be reasonable to leave them active in all circumstances except very controlled shots with a tripod? With no remote functionality, not even a cable attachment, for this camera I've simply set the timer for two seconds when using a tripod to eliminate movement.

Actually, I understand that OIS does not degrade the image. Shouldn't it always be active therefore? Why is there even an option for turning it off?

Thanks

03-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frascati Quote
Hello. On my Samsung 10.2mp SL420 compact digital there are optical and digital image stabilization settings.
I understand the difference as well as the minor and relative disadvantages of them at this level of camera. But I'm
unclear on when/where it might be appropriate to turn both/either one off (there is a setting that utilizes both at once).

If, as I've read, these settings introduce very minor degradation of the image quality (notwithstanding the major impact of motion blur when handheld) would it be reasonable to leave them active in all circumstances except very controlled shots with a tripod? With no remote functionality, not even a cable attachment, for this camera I've simply set the timer for two seconds when using a tripod to eliminate movement.

Actually, I understand that OIS does not degrade the image. Shouldn't it always be active therefore? Why is there even an option for turning it off?

Thanks
OIS uses more power, probably, and it may not be suitable for all applications (i.e. tripod shooting as you mentioned). I don't think digital stabilization should (can?) be used alongside mechanical stabilization.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Banned

I only see DIS and not OIS with the camera.

QuoteQuote:
Dual image stabilization
Get brighter and more natural pictures with DIS technology. With DIS the effects of image blur are reduced in lower light conditions. You can even take well exposed, sharper pictures without using a flash.
Samsung Digimax SL420 10 2 MP Digital Camera Black 0044701010296 | eBay