Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2014, 04:45 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Sony classifies their manufactured sensors into categories, their first tier and best performing ones are utilized exclusively on their own cameras....
Even if that were true, then they wouldn't let their sensor customers find out about that. It wouldn't be smart. I highly doubt any confirmation from Sony can be found for that.

10-07-2014, 05:32 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Even if that were true, then they wouldn't let their sensor customers find out about that. It wouldn't be smart. I highly doubt any confirmation from Sony can be found for that.
this thread talks about the issue:

quote from DPreview interview( from the horse's mouth):

....Sony sensors can be found in cameras from several different manufacturers. How does your sensor business work?

When we make sensors we put them in several categories. [At any given time] one category of sensors is reserved purely for Sony cameras - we don’t sell them to other companies. Like the sensor in the A7S. But once we’ve enjoyed this advantage we might sell them on later, after some time has passed. This is the second category. The third category of sensors is completely generic - the sensors are created for use internally and to sell externally, to anybody. China or Taiwan or wherever.....

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Noticed this statement from an intereview on dpreview:

Photokina 2014: Sony interview - 'we still need to create more lenses': Digital Photography Review

Looks like its a shark's pond out there regards sensors. Canon makes their own sensors, Samsung makes their own, Nikon subcontracts to Sony and at least one other maker, and Pentax has bought from Samsung before and now Sony. Does Sony manipulate the selling of sensors to give their camera division an advantage. Short answer: Yes
from: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/274709-sony-sensor-sales-policy.html
10-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #48
Veteran Member

this thread talks about the issue:

quote from DPreview interview( from the horse's mouth):

....Sony sensors can be found in cameras from several different manufacturers. How does your sensor business work?

When we make sensors we put them in several categories. [At any given time] one category of sensors is reserved purely for Sony cameras - we don’t sell them to other companies. Like the sensor in the A7S. But once we’ve enjoyed this advantage we might sell them on later, after some time has passed. This is the second category. The third category of sensors is completely generic - the sensors are created for use internally and to sell externally, to anybody. China or Taiwan or wherever.....

from: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/274709-sony-sensor-sales-policy.html

Wow, clearly I didn't expect that. Thanks!!

However, it doesn't state that they reserve the very best ones for themselves, and thus, sell the lesser quality to others. It states that they use the newest ones in their own models first, and then may decide to sell them to other manufacturers as well later on. They have off course all right to do so.

Last edited by Clavius; 10-07-2014 at 06:23 AM.
10-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, clearly I didn't expect that. Thanks!! I find Sony's policy not very chique. But that's just my opinion.
Nobody feels good about shooting with second-rate sensors. Props to the Pentax engineers for polishing these turds into real gems, clearly Sony never could.

10-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure, Sony has the right to do whatever, and it makes capitalistic sense to do so, to enjoy the advantage. But its not the best option for us buyers.
Props to the Pentax engineers for polishing these turds into real gems,
And this is the important point! Look at what Pentax did with the 16MP Sony sensor in the K-5, and especially K-5IIs!
10-07-2014, 11:51 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Sure, Sony has the right to do whatever, and it makes capitalistic sense to do so, to enjoy the advantage. But its not the best option for us buyers.

And this is the important point! Look at what Pentax did with the 16MP Sony sensor in the K-5, and especially K-5IIs!
Sticking to the same time-frame: Look what it did in the K-5 and what it did the Nex 5n. The latter produced images with a lot more IQ. The K-5 was crippeld in comparisson to the Nex 5n due to the K-5's super thick AA filter. I guess that means that Sony really DOES know how to make best use of their own sensors.
10-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
!
Maybe this is nitpicking, but all capitalism is regulated more or less by their home countries and by international law. Copyright law for instance and other restrictions. Companies that want to merge in the same marketplace are sometimes prevented from doing so by their own governments because it might form a monopoly. The term "free" capitalism is a myth.

Sticking to the same time-frame: Look what it did in the K-5 and what it did the Nex 5n. The latter produced images with a lot more IQ. The K-5 was crippeld in comparisson to the Nex 5n due to the K-5's super thick AA filter. I guess that means that Sony really DOES know how to make best use of their own sensors.
Are you sure about that? I own both cameras and frankly always considered the K5 the better camera. One thing is that the K5's have 14 bit file depth and the 5n is only 12 bit files. Not arguing with you, but i've never read that before.

10-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Whether the presence of an AA filter improves or degrades image quality, depends on what you happen to be shooting at the time. When did AA filters suddenly become so unfashionable? I suspect this trend mostly just feeds 1) the ego of pixel peepers, and 2) marketers who want to take something away from you and charge you more.

Last edited by Tanzer; 10-09-2014 at 02:33 PM.