Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 05:34 AM   #1
Banned

Confirmed via multiple sources: 4K 12mp “A7s” FF E-mount to be announced on Sunday!

QuoteQuote:
Over a month ago I got a rumor about a new Sony FE camera. I was pretty sure it wouldn’t come any time soon but I proved to be wrong! Within a couple of hours I got confirmation via five(!) trusted sources that Sony worked on a very secret kept project. And this brand new camera will be unveiled on Sunday (April 6) in Las Vegas!!!!!!!!!!! I will embedd the live stream on SAR!

I am continually working to try to grab some specs. All I can tell you for now is that the camera name is “A7s“. It’s not a Silver A7 as some suggested And it will not replace the A7 or A7r. It’s a brand new Full Frame Emount camera. Only few know about it and that’s why it is hard to get specs.
(SR5) Confirmed via multiple sources: New “A7s” FF E-mount to be announced on Sunday! Follow SAR! | sonyalpharumors

I wonder if it will have the a6000 ultra fast tracking AF.

Last edited by jogiba; 04-04-2014 at 11:52 AM.
04-04-2014, 06:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
...Or maybe it is the S for "stabilized" because of IBIS?
04-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
...Or maybe it is the S for "stabilized" because of IBIS?
...or "s" because "s" comes after "r"?

Steve
04-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
At 7pm on Sunday (April 6) in Las Vegas Sony will announce the new Full Frame E-mount camera called “Sony A7s”. And according to one of our trusted sources it can record 4K video! Note: Today Sony announced a 4K partnerhsip with Fifa (more about it at Newsshooter). I am still not 100% sure yet if it will also feature the superb A6000 hybrid AF. But my guess is that the answer is YES and this could be the reason why it has the “S” suffix for “Speed”

A7s unveiling: You can follow the live stream presentation here on SonyAlphaRumors at 2pm Las Vegas time. So you can see the A7s as first and live here on SAR! Other time zones:
- 5pm New York time on Sunday April 6
- 3am (22:00) London time on Sunday April 6
- 11pm (23:00) Berlin time on Sunday April 6
- 6am (06:00) Tokyo time on Monday April 7
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony-a7s-will-shoot-4k-video/

Last edited by jogiba; 04-04-2014 at 09:47 AM.
04-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
Sony A7s 4K Mirrorless Camera Coming this Sunday at NAB

QuoteQuote:
Sony is rumored to be launched a new A7s mirrorless camera this Sunday at its NAB 2014 press conference, which kicks off at 5pm EDT. The camera is believed to feature the same body and design as the current A7 and A7R cameras.

The big new feature the A7s adds, however, is 4K video capture.

The addition of 4K video to the A7 line is a significant one, assuming Sony keeps the price down. In terms of hardware, I don’t expect the A7s to be much different from the A7R and A7. Accordingly, the price should not be forced into the stratosphere. And with the Panasonic GH4 at $1700, Sony could be aggressive and stay in the range of the A7 and A7R prices.

We’ll have more from NAB this weekend at the press conference. Stay tuned for the latest.
http://www./2014/04/04/sony-a7s-4k-mirrorless-camera-coming-this-sunday-at-nab/

If that is true I will cancel my GH4 pre-order.
04-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
Sony A7s has a brand new 12 Megapixel Full Frame sensor!

QuoteQuote:
The Sony A7s keeps surprising us! It will get announced on Sunday already(!) and it will record 4K video. And now I just learned it features a new 12 megapixel Full Frame sensor! It completely goes in the opposite direction of the market who calls for “more megapixels”. And I think Sony’s move makes a lot of sense: Larger pixels, cleaner high ISO images, more fps! This is going to be an amazing 4K camera!

Reminder: The A7s will be unveiled live at 2pm in Las Vegas (on Sunday). You can follow the live video stream on SAR!!! This is the time in other time zones:
- 5pm New York time on Sunday April 6
- 3am (22:00) London time on Sunday April 6
- 11pm (23:00) Berlin time on Sunday April 6
- 6am (06:00) Tokyo time on Monday April 7
(SR5) Sony A7s has a brand new 12 Megapixel Full Frame sensor! | sonyalpharumors

This is the bomb !!!
04-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Did you say it will bomb? I thought you were a Sony fanboy? :-)
Maybe "s" stands for sensitivity? 12MP FF should allow super high ISO performance.

04-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

12MP .... isn't really that impressive. :P

Hello K20D!

I think the least MP should have in current DSLR is 24MP, 16MP is as low a new DSLR in 2014 can have ...

Looks like they don't want to eat into the sale of A7 and A7R, or even A6000....

---------- Post added 04-04-2014 at 02:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Maybe "s" stands for sensitivity? 12MP FF should allow super high ISO performance.
He probably means that .... PENTAX could have use that 12MP sensor for the unicorn FF.

JK!
04-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
No, a bomb in a good way ! 12mp full frame is perfect for 4K video and low light performance !
04-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was thinking that the 12 MP sized photocells in the sensor would be a great boost in signal to noise ratio and dynamic range. Less shadows and blown-out highlights. You wouldn't be able to rely on cropping very much to digitally zoom or recompose though.

Will ISO 12000 be a new norm ?
04-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

No, a bomb in a good way ! 12mp full frame is perfect for 4K video and low light performance !
Wow, this seems like the perfect camera for you.

The high ISO performance will be incredible - will love to see how it compares to the D4s.
04-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Wow, this seems like the perfect camera for you.

The high ISO performance will be incredible - will love to see how it compares to the D4s.
The new 12mp full frame sensor should kill the 16mp D4s in low light and be a direct 1:1 crop of the 12mp sensor if it uses 4096x2160 cinema 4K like the new GH4.
04-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #13
osv
Veteran Member

dslr form factor is completely dysfunctional for shooting video... for instance, look at the stupid box underneath the gh4:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gh4+box&newwindow=1&safe=off&espv=210&es_sm=...w=1800&bih=918

i don't see sony creating a custom sensor for this camera only... it would make more sense to put this sensor in a camcorder form factor also, with a real motorized zoom, variable rocker switch, xlr, etc.

they could hit both markets that way.
04-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The new 12mp full frame sensor should kill the 16mp D4s in low light and be a direct 1:1 crop of the 12mp sensor if it uses 4096x2160 cinema 4K like the new GH4.
Very clever of Sony to release a 4K camera with native pixel mapping - but then Sony has a long history of professional video.

Will be very interested in the rest of the specs when the camera is announced.

---------- Post added 04-05-2014 at 08:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
dslr form factor is completely dysfunctional for shooting video
I wouldn't assume that this new camera will have the same form factor as the A7 - remember everything is just a rumour at this stage. After all the VG900 looked nothing like the NEX cameras.

I don't think the traditional "camcorder" form factor is perfect either - that evolved from the necessity of housing a video tape transport.

I have had no problems shooting video using the A7r:

And even the compact form factor of the RX100 is okay for handheld video:
04-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #15
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
dslr form factor is completely dysfunctional for shooting video... for instance, look at the stupid box underneath the gh4:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gh4+box&newwindow=1&safe=off&espv=210&es_sm=...w=1800&bih=918

i don't see sony creating a custom sensor for this camera only... it would make more sense to put this sensor in a camcorder form factor also, with a real motorized zoom, variable rocker switch, xlr, etc.

they could hit both markets that way.
The BM 4K camera looks like my old Mac Mini with a lens sticking out of it and many people like it.