Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2014, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ode to the FUJIFILM Z1... Anyone ever use this little rocket?

So, not as many years ago as it may seem, I was a huge fan of this TINY little P&S from Fujifilm. Actually I was a fan of many of Fujifilm's digicams, the S7000 being my favorite of the bunch, long before the X-Series hit the map. I think Fuji was doing things in the consumer market then better than anyone. It's funny to think back on those now, long since gone (though my father still has and frequently uses an S7000 he picked up after liking mine so much), and when I say "long", I mean about ohhhhhhhh 5 years MAX.

It's also interesting to think back to when I re-entered SLR land. Some backstory... I shot on a few film SLRs in the late 80s (I was born in '74) and throughout the 90s. I cut my teeth on a Nikormat and a couple nice Minoltas of my father's back then. I graduated Highschool in 1993 and my father gave me his Nikormat and all of the glass (some of it VERY nice) and in 2000 that entire bag of gear, save one long zoom at home, was stolen from my car while parked in the evening, in a quite safe neighborhood to boot. That was a devastating loss and the "limbo years" before I discovered the K100d in 2006 were filled with a fair number of digicams, mostly Fuji.

The Z1, a cheap little thing that did everything it was supposed to do, was the cam that could always be with you.... along the lines of an Elph but far better designed IMO. Here it is:

Amazon.com: Fujifilm Finepix Z1 5.1MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom (Black): Camera & Photo

I just brought up this Flickr group and there's certainly a good deal of fluff contributed by the massive number of members of the group, totaling 22.... but there's also some gold. It really was, for me, the "camera you had with you". A whopping 5.1MP of sheer pocketability. I took this snap quite some time back with the Z1, and you know what, it's still one of my favorites:

Name:  2036428942_88d48a04cd_b.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  67.8 KB

At any rate... just wanted to pay little homage to what kept me going not so long ago, and see if anyone else used this funny, tiny little thing. Cheers!

04-08-2014, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still use two Fuji F10's and am very pleased with them even now. The Z1 looks like my first digital, a Minolta with the folded lens, a Dimage X, with a whopping 2 MP... ah, those were the days...

Last edited by Nesster; 04-08-2014 at 07:26 AM.
04-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
TWO MEGAPIXEL!? What did you do with BOTH of those???