Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2014, 05:02 AM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some nice shots from that Holga! I think the Holga truly fits the "toy camera" label.

06-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #167
Veteran Member

Well I can officially say I am a toy camera shooter now!

As said earlier, I was on a tight budget of $150 of less and did tons of research to try to get the best bang for my buck. I quikly had to forgo a viewfinder and articulating/tilting screen in favor of a good lens with good sensor. I settled on a used Panasonic LX5 which gets great reviews.

My goal was a camera to grab for quick shots around the homestead (never go anywhere else....) and to have along when we do our bi-monthly grocery runs. I also like to document some of the projects I do in the barn and hated using a $2k camera/lens combo for that.

Came in today - $140 shipped. It has some exterior marks on it which doesn't bother me at all - this way I'm not afraid to use it! Took a quick gander through the manual and set the menu items the way I wanted. Also had to update to the latest firmware. Took a quick walk around the house to try it out - I must say I am very impressed! Focus was right on and quick, colors are true to life, and very impressed with the overall IQ even when viewing at 100%.

All shot raw @ 80 ISO:

Focus behaved nicely - one focused on the rocks - the other focused on the leaves:

And my old standby shot to look at the fine detail of the grain - the green birdhouse with a crop:

Cedar tree bark:

And green - everything is green!
06-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #168
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Taken at a local park the other day, using "widescreen" mode:
Looks good to me Paulh! Nice small size, really convenient!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Here are shots from my new Holga 120 GCFN, a cheap Chinese camera that shoots 120 roll film.
Really enjoyed those Mr Bassie, wonderful shots from a genuine Toy! Post more!

I had some shots to post, but Flickr is down and you can't download...it seems Flickr is always down lately or going through some dramatic change that is worse than it was before? Pathetic!

Regards!
06-28-2014, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #169
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Well I can officially say I am a toy camera shooter now!
Those look great Stan! Toy Camera shooters have no reason to bow their heads in shame, just look what you got for a tiny fraction of the cost of a big heavy outfit that scares chickens and other farm animals, as well as little kids!

Here are the shots I couldn't get off of the defective Flickr yesterday.......Flicker is beginning to suck the big lemon....

All X20 shots....
Old Charlie...I caught him napping.

Wake up Charlie, I don't have all day to listen to you snoring!

Ava....always willing to smile for a Toy Camera! ...even if she is a little short on teeth currently!

You remember Ava? She used to come over when I had my studio and she loved to pose for the Toy Cameras!

X10

X20

X10

X10......Who says a Toy Camera can't do studio shots!

Got to admit, I'm getting excited about July, it's when rumors say Fuji will announce the X30! I'm crossing my fingers that they will deliver a killer Toy Camera! If I know Fuji, I won't be disappointed!

Regards!

06-29-2014, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #170
Pentaxian

Riding home on this beautiful afternoon, I passed the tourist train approaching the old railroad bridge over the Sacandaga River. I had just enough time to park and get the Lumix out of my pocket and get a shot of the train crossing the bridge.

Rupert, those studio shots are stunning!
07-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #171
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Reef! I really like that train shot, glad you had a chance to get it and post it here. Toy Cameras...aren't they fantastic!

Regards!
07-03-2014, 01:28 AM   #172
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does Canon G12 counts as a toy camera?

07-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
Does Canon G12 counts as a toy camera?
For the purposes of this thread, I would say it is!

Stan, congrats on the "new" Lumix - looks like a winner. I owned 2 copies of the older Lumix TZ1, which I loved (one was stolen, the other accidentally left on a car roof & ended up bouncing all over the freeway! ) Anyway, they're nice cameras & should serve you well. Reef gets some great shots with his model.

I took my Canon SD1100 to the dogpark on a warm day in March & captured some of the regulars hanging around....
07-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #174
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
If you have a Toy Camera, any brand that does not take interchangeable lenses, feel free to post your confession here! You don't have to be ashamed, or feel inferior, after all, you are having more fun than anyone and never miss a moment by trying to prepare your gear for the shot. No backaches, less expense, and all those shots you wished you got.....You Got!
As long as it doesn't have interchangeable lenses, it's a "Toy Camera". There is no criteria as to cost or even build quality. We're having fun with small cameras that can fit in your jacket pocket or even shirt pocket to see what we can do with them. A lot of these cameras have advanced features, large sensors, can shoot RAW, etc., but are considered "toys" by many in the photo community. Some of us aren't as young as we used to be and lugging around a DSLR all day on hikes or even sightseeing on vacation can become a burden, especially if we can get good results with something that fits in our pocket.
07-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #175
Veteran Member

Cat's reaction to G12

I'm photographed, It run away

---------- Post added 07-03-14 at 08:37 AM ----------

The last from a phone

---------- Post added 07-03-14 at 08:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
As long as it doesn't have interchangeable lenses, it's a "Toy Camera". There is no criteria as to cost or even build quality. We're having fun with small cameras that can fit in your jacket pocket or even shirt pocket to see what we can do with them. A lot of these cameras have advanced features, large sensors, can shoot RAW, etc., but are considered "toys" by many in the photo community. Some of us aren't as young as we used to be and lugging around a DSLR all day on hikes or even sightseeing on vacation can become a burden, especially if we can get good results with something that fits in our pocket.
Thanks for the reply, a toy camera is good even for the young. Can you imagine running with a big camera?
07-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #176
Veteran Member

Found a decent deal on an EVF for the LX5 - oh so nice! Rotates a full 90 degrees and has a button for switching from screen to viewfinder. It's so nice to see all the info in the viewfinder!

Just started using Lightroom and Flickr - see if this works......

A couple test shots from the porch in between rain showers:

Last edited by stormtech; 07-04-2014 at 02:39 PM.
07-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #177
Veteran Member

Nice pocket shooter! I like that EVF
07-04-2014, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #178
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
Cat's reaction to G12
Nice kitty shots! Yes, Toy Cameras are fantastic!

Stan??? What happened to your photos of the EVF? I saw them yesterday, they need to be back up here for all to see, that's a neat addition to have on a Toy Camera!

Toy Cameras are not generally wildlife shooters, but sometimes they will "get 'er done" in a pinch!

Looks like a dreaded fungus has taken over one of my birdfeeders?

X20

Oh no! It's even worse than a big fungus!

Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 07-04-2014 at 01:21 PM.
07-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #179
Veteran Member

Some more from my not so toy X10.... Should try using my boys Ninja Turtle Camera!

Edit-Just noticed most of those were taken on the X-Pro 1.... doh! Just got the X10 ones now....

A couple for the vintage diesel fans out there!

Super Macro!

Sorry there is so many photos.... couldn’t pick the ones I liked most lol, sorry to say I’m a secret steam engine fan...

Edit 2 - Might see what this is capable of!

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by skankin_giant; 07-04-2014 at 01:45 PM.
07-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
NStan??? What happened to your photos of the EVF? I saw them yesterday, they need to be back up here for all to see, that's a neat addition to have on a Toy Camera!
Oops - just starting using Flickr and while getting used to it and shuffling things around I guess I broke the link somehow. Should be back up now?