01-11-2022, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #2522
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Puddles on the path - Canon Powershot A560
01-12-2022, 12:29 PM - 4 Likes   #2523
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With the TZ70. Yes, there would have been a bit less noise and a bit more detail with a 400mm lens on a DSLR. No, I wouldn't have happened to have a DSLR with a 400mm lens in my jacket pocket.

01-15-2022, 01:46 PM - 2 Likes   #2524
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
With the TZ70
Nice work, Dave!

Breezy New Years - Lumix LX3

01-15-2022, 02:50 PM   #2525
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

With the TZ70. Yes, there would have been a bit less noise and a bit more detail with a 400mm lens on a DSLR. No, I wouldn't have happened to have a DSLR with a 400mm lens in my jacket pocket.
Wow... that's a beautiful shot with any camera, David... but with the TZ70?! Very nice work indeed, mate! I assume you used manual exposure - or is there a "scene" mode for this sort of thing?

Neither the noise or detail are even remotely problematic here, IMHO. I'm viewing the image on my 17" laptop profiled for colour and brightness, and it looks great to me

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-15-2022 at 02:55 PM.
01-16-2022, 12:38 AM - 5 Likes   #2526
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Cross-posted from my recent "Simple pleasures..." thread, here's a few shots from Friday afternoon's visit to Seaburn, a coastal suburb of Sunderland (my home town) in the North East of England.

These were shot raw with the Panasonic DMC-TZ70 and processed in Lightroom 6 + GIMP 2.10. I have @Dartmoor Dave; to thank for re-kindling my interest in this little camera. I've owned it for a few years, but it had been largely relegated to a cupboard for some time. Seeing David's photos prompted me to shoot with it again, and I'm glad I did. The 1/2.3" sensor has its limitations, for sure, but it's a really capable little camera and a joy to use. Colour rendering is a particular strong point...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-16-2022 at 12:58 AM.
01-18-2022, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #2527
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Very nice work indeed, mate! I assume you used manual exposure - or is there a "scene" mode for this sort of thing?

Thanks, Mike. I have to confess that the moon shot was actually a blue afternoon sky made to look black with a strong red filter in Silver Efex, so there wasn't any sort of tricky exposure involved. I just used program mode and judged how it looked in the EVF.

01-18-2022, 10:58 AM - 3 Likes   #2528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Late afternoon sun, kitchen window - Canon SD1100 IS
01-19-2022, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #2529
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Mike. I have to confess that the moon shot was actually a blue afternoon sky made to look black with a strong red filter in Silver Efex, so there wasn't any sort of tricky exposure involved. I just used program mode and judged how it looked in the EVF.
Well, it worked out nicely Actually, most of my better moon shots were taken either in the morning or late afternoon when the sky was blue
01-22-2022, 04:26 AM - 4 Likes   #2530
Pentaxian

A couple with the TZ70 from last week. The ruined Holy Trinity church in Buckfastleigh, and the Daymark near Kingswear.

01-24-2022, 01:55 PM - 2 Likes   #2531
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lumix LX3
01-24-2022, 02:03 PM   #2532
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple with the TZ70 from last week. The ruined Holy Trinity church in Buckfastleigh, and the Daymark near Kingswear.
Very nice, David

The Daymark is a pretty impressive structure - not like anything I've seen before. Very effective for its time, I should imagine...
01-25-2022, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #2533
Pentaxian

Very nice, David

The Daymark is a pretty impressive structure - not like anything I've seen before. Very effective for its time, I should imagine...

Thanks Mike. The Daymark is a mighty thing, and I should really make the effort to go there more often and perhaps get a photo with a tiny human in there for scale.

Last week, while showing my sister from NY some of the sights around here, I shot the TZ70 and the K-m alongside each other -- and in every case I prefer the results from the TZ70. So I expect the K-m's days are numbered, in the same way that the TZ70 led to me getting rid of the K-S1.

That suits me fine, as lately I've been getting much more pleasure from doing my SLR photography with a film camera rather than digital. And the TZ70 makes a great light meter too, letting me visually confirm the exposure settings to transfer over to my K1000!
01-25-2022, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #2534
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Mike. The Daymark is a mighty thing, and I should really make the effort to go there more often and perhaps get a photo with a tiny human in there for scale.

Last week, while showing my sister from NY some of the sights around here, I shot the TZ70 and the K-m alongside each other -- and in every case I prefer the results from the TZ70. So I expect the K-m's days are numbered, in the same way that the TZ70 led to me getting rid of the K-S1.

That suits me fine, as lately I've been getting much more pleasure from doing my SLR photography with a film camera rather than digital. And the TZ70 makes a great light meter too, letting me visually confirm the exposure settings to transfer over to my K1000!
Since you got your TZ70, I've been using mine quite a lot. I actually find I'm enjoying working with its limitations - in much the same way as I enjoy the Canon Powershot A1200 you turned me on to, though obviously the Panasonic is a much newer and far more capable beast overall. I go through phases - I know that about myself for sure - but at present, I love shooting the TZ70. Great little camera

On the subject of the A1200, I just impulse-bought a Canon Powershot SX100 IS I saw it on eBay last night, with four minutes left to go and hardly any bids. A quick check on the CHDK website told me it was supported, and I managed to quickly scan-read a couple of old reviews that were mostly positive... so I put in a last minute bid and won it for £12.50 including shipping. I had a £2.50 Nectar voucher to use up, so with that the SX100 cost me a tenner shipped According to the seller, it's barely been used, and the auction photos appear to support that. It's still boxed with all its accessories, documentation and software CD. The last thing I need is another compact camera, but for that kind of money it'll be fun to play with... and when I tire of it, I'll give it to a local charity shop

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-25-2022 at 04:44 AM.
01-25-2022, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #2535
Pentaxian

On the subject of the A1200, I just impulse-bought a Canon Powershot SX100 IS I saw it on eBay last night, with four minutes left to go and hardly any bids. A quick check on the CHDK website told me it was supported, and I managed to quickly scan-read a couple of old reviews that were mostly positive... so I put in a last minute bid and won it for £12.50 including shipping. I had a £2.50 Nectar voucher to use up, so with that the SX100 cost me a tenner shipped According to the seller, it's barely been used, and the auction photos appear to support that. It's still boxed with all its accessories, documentation and software CD. The last thing I need is another compact camera, but for that kind of money it'll be fun to play with... and when I tire of it, I'll give it to a local charity shop

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about the SX100 compared to the A1200, and as always I really wish we had something like CHDK for the old Pentax compacts. I think my little Optio W30 might possibly produce fantastic raw files if it were given the chance.

And it's great to hear that you're in the habit of passing on these types of "cheap as chips" cameras to your local charity shop when you've finished with them. I've been doing that myself for the past few years, and I think the K-m that I got back in December will be in Oxfam's hands before too long.