Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fujifilm X20 - low prices, good buying?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a small, pocketable camera for everyday use, preferably with an OVF, but with good IQ. The virtues of the X20 have been extolled by some here, and its price online is now heading South, presumably because of its imminent replacement with the X30. At around $420AU now, it looks like good buying.

I should say that I've got an original Q that I like, and for which I've added a hot-shoe mounted Yashica OVF that just about does the job for 01 shooting, and my wife has a Samsung EX-1, which also does a good job in many situations. However, I'd like something that literally fits in a pocket (and I don't wear cargo pants!) which the Q doesn't do unless you detach the lens, and the EX-1 does do but lacks an OVF.

I doubt I'll sell the Q, because I like its quirkiness, in spite of its limitations, and it has a familiar workflow being a Pentax, but I'd also like something that can be rapidly deployed, is easy to operate and has a good IQ. Having seen the results here from the X20 proponents, I think the IQ is unquestionably good within the limits of the sensor size, but what about the rest? Is it easy to carry in a pocket and is it easy to operate? What are its limitations?

All answers gratefully received, thanks.

Rob

04-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The X20 is a nice camera but is not a pocket camera. Compare camera dimensions side by side

I have the RX100 and consider it to be only just pocketable. and it is 36mm deep, the X20 is 57mm deep. No way is that pants pocketable.
Thanks. I should have mentioned that I usually wear a jacket, because I prefer to carry pocketable things that way. I also looked at the RX100, and its online price is heading the same way (presumably for the same reason) but the lack of a built-in OVF kills the deal for me.
04-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the X10, and it does fit in my jacket pockets, but I carry it daily in my shoulder bag. That said it is very easy to carry around the neck. The Fuji cameras are fantastic with auto WB, they get it rightmost of the time, including when the light sources are various in one shot. The X10 has a great low light mode, too, I think the X20 may not have that. It is the best PS type I've ever owned--maybe others are just as good, I don't really know. I've gotten consistently fine pdf files from this camera, and that's why I got it. It can capture what I'm looking at, then it is up to me to make the shot decisions. Check out the Fuji X100/X10 thread in the other camera section of the Forum.
04-13-2014, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rob.....I could go on for pages here on my love of my X20, but I will try to be brief. It will fit in a jacket pocket but I usually carry mine in my hand in this case....it is a wonderful and tough well made case.

The X20 is my go to camera when I walk out the door, and is very capable with more controls and settings than some full size cameras. The first thing that will impress is the very solid metal build quality , with machined knobs and a very solid feel in your hands that beckon you to use it and use it often!

There are tons of X20 shots here...like all forums, some good some not so much, but it does give you a good idea of the possibilities, and they are many. https://www.flickr.com/groups/fujifilmx20/

I did a review of mine here some time ago, but the bottom line is that it is a jewel of a camera. If you do get one, be sure you explore all the Fuji settings, like Pro Low Light, which is simply amazing for night or low light shooting hand held. It takes 4 rapid shots, combines them to eliminate shake and noise and gives you a finished in-camera shot in seconds. Beats my K5 by miles!

The OVF is a must for me in the bright Texas sun, and I often use it inside too for portrait type shooting. It is wonderful and clear! The info in the OVF is handy too...you can see exposure and settings before you snap.

I was thrilled with the X10....X20 and will for certain get the X30 if it is anything like the X20. These are fantastic little cameras.

You might check out this thread too.......just for fun!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/257...fess-here.html

Best Regards...Any questions I can answer on the X20, PM me and I will do my best!

I still get a little thrill just holding it in my hands!

04-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Slim, pocketable compacts with an optical viewfinder have become a rare breed.

There is still the Canon Powershot A1400 around though, and it's findable for less than $100 new on Amazon and elsewhere. Despite it's budget price, I've seen some good images come from one of those. Dimensions are 95 x 62 x 30 mm.
04-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all for your thoughts on the matter, and for taking the time to respond to my query. The major asset of this Forum is the friendly, helpful group of people who frequent it. The price of the X20 continues to fall slowly, so I'm not in a huge hurry to decide just yet.

@rawr - I hadn't considered the A1400 before, so I'll see if I can hunt one up to check out the viewfinder. When I looked recently, I didn't go much on the viewfinder of the G1X, which is Canon's premium viewfinder camera, although I did have the original Digital Ixus, whose viewfinder I didn't mind at the time, but renewed longing for the SLR viewfinder experience pushed me to my *istD.
04-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I hadn't considered the A1400 before
It's a cheapy, for sure. I even saw it at Target once. But I've seen some decent shots even from it's predecessor the A1200. UnknownVT even started a thread here about his A1200, with lots of interesting sample shots.

04-14-2014, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I should mention that the X10 is a good option too...some prefer the EXR sensor over the X20, and I can't say I blame them. It has most of the features of the X20, the same solid metal body and wonderful feel in your hands, and can be found for a bargain price.
The EXR dynamic range is excellent, and those Fuji colors are really evident with the X10. It is the camera that got me hooked on Fuji X cameras.
Love the colors and for street shooting it is superb...small and unoffensive...it won't scare strangers but will get results!

Even pretty girl strangers love the X10 pointed their way!

Still the good looks of the X20 and that wonderful solid body!

And...if you are in Texas, maybe most important of all.....it shoots cows with the zoom so you don't have to get close enough to be gored!

In the city or out in the country, the X10 is a joy to use! On this day with the bright sunshine, any LCD is worthless, but the OVF will get you a clear view of your target!

Regards!
(This was not a paid advertisement by Fuji, but if they want to send me a little gift...like maybe the X-T1 and a half dozen lenses or so, I'd be grateful! )
04-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmm. More grist for the mill, thanks Rupert! If I read the situation correctly, the X10 has greater DR thanks to the EXR sensor, and the X20 has faster AF and a better viewfinder and the more-conventional X-trans sensor. Looking online, the price trend of the X10 is only a little below that of the X20, which is interesting, and maybe says a lot about how the EXR characteristics are valued.
04-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've read several test reports and reviews on the X10 vs X20 and the X20 almost always comes out on top, but there are many owners that have both or have used both and prefer the X10. I won't argue that, I do love the X10 EXR sensor.
The AF on the X20 is both fast and accurate, which makes me use it more often, but the IQ of the X10 is more appealing to my eyes. Either camera is a joy to use.

The first day I got the X10 I took it to a friends wedding...didn't know a thing about it and set it on EXR. I wasn't at all disappointed. Some inside, some outside, some in low light at the wedding dinner......it pleased me for being such a small handy camera.

More here...... https://www.flickr.com/photos/35763648@N05/sets/72157628114856126/

Had I known more about the settings I am sure I could have done much better, but the EXR setting lets you get away with inexperience very nicely.
One thing about either of these cameras is that they beg you to use them and use them often.....they just feel so damn good in your hands!

Regards!
04-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Rupert, I can tell you're an enthusiast for the little Fujis, and who can blame you, from the looks of your photos? Thanks so much for your thoughts on them.

I must go away and look further at the hardware. Cheers.

Rob
04-15-2014, 06:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I must go away and look further at the hardware. Cheers.
By all means, do the research and get you a camera that will thrill you. There are a lot of great small cameras out there, and brand does not matter as much as getting something that makes you happy and want to use it often.
Yes, I love the Fuji line of X cameras, and am biased heavily, but also acknowledge that there are others that are fully worthy of purchasing.
I am hoping the X30 will appear soon and thrill me once again as have the X10/X20!

Good Luck!....and I hope you get a camera that drives you to shoot, and shoot often!

Regards!
04-25-2014, 05:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Rupert, I've mentioned a couple of times how swell I think your B&W results from the X20 look... I mean, really good! So how does the X10 compare to the X20 with respect to IQ shooting B&W images? That's the big attraction for me now. I'm taking your shots of the old coot in the diner [?] in the cow saga as the point of reference. BTW, I claim to be "late middle age", myself! -- Fred
04-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
Rupert, I've mentioned a couple of times how swell I think your B&W results from the X20 look... I mean, really good! So how does the X10 compare to the X20 with respect to IQ shooting B&W images? That's the big attraction for me now. I'm taking your shots of the old coot in the diner [?] in the cow saga as the point of reference. BTW, I claim to be "late middle age", myself! -- Fred
Fred, I haven't done many B/W with the X10 and have a better handle on X20 settings for B/W shots...however, my guess is that the X10 might do better or certainly as well if you dial in the proper settings. A little practice and it should be great.

Here is a B/W X10 landscape...

Another B/W in living color of a good friend of mine......I printed it 8x10 for him and it looked great! I think the EXR sensor is better than the X20 sensor...that's just my personal opinion.

One more X10 B/W...

X10...X20 ??? I love them both for different reasons. You can't go wrong either way!

Regards!
04-25-2014, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you look at the X100/X10 thread, which includes the X20, you'll find lots of B&W photos with the different Fuji options. There are some spectacular photographs there, as well as advice/comment.